Downhill going uphill

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Step 1: Purchase whichever DH bike takes your fancy. Use this for riding down hills.
Step 2: Purchase an old 10sp road bike or similar for <$50. Use this for riding on road.
Step 3: Profit.

IMO you will be infinitely better off in this case. Don't waste your money modifying a "do it all" bike which will inevitably be slower than a DHer on DH tracks, and slower than a road bike when riding to the shops.

Jeebadheebis

Likes Bikes
Step 1. Raise seat
Step 2. Pump tyres to 60 psi
Step 3. Turn all suspension off (compression off)
Step 4. Ignore everything and pay attention to the last post before mine

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Ive had my DH now for about a month and done heaps of riding on the roads and xc and it is a fair bit harder, but i can live with it and i will get really fit soon :)

Syndicated

Likes Dirt
both these statements are lies. DH bikes are horrible to pedal anywhere other than dead flat (less than 1km) or (obviously) down hill.

Most of the other advise on here is pretty sensible in my opinion - ie no skid marks. get a shorter travel bike or an aggressive hardtail (you can ride dh on them anyway) - theyre cheaper and will suit better for everything.
Agreed. As soon as you hit a hill you will see how tough it is to pedal, but hey you can always give it a go.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your not riding DH, Then throw some single ply tyres on there.. Makes a mile of difference - Also make sure your seat post is long enough so you dont hurt your knee's and thighs.

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Agreed. As soon as you hit a hill you will see how tough it is to pedal, but hey you can always give it a go.
Ive given it ago probably a coupple of kms just riding to and back from the shops up and down hill. Im not fit, but it isnt that hard.

WannabeDH'r

Likes Bikes
A couple of Km's isn't really going to allow you to get the feel of such a bike.

You will most likely get tired after more than a few Km's.

I'd say go for an aggressive all mountain bike. You can pedal up hill, and if you find interest in riding trails you'll be set. And I'd say some AM bikes look fairly cool too...

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Yes ok thats how most of you feel. I have GOT my dh and ridden up heaps of hills and gone xc riding heaps, really its not as hard as your all trying to make it out.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I've got a Norco A-line and i peddled it up cressy's road and the great circle drive at the youies just to see if i could. I won't be doing it again :)

Get a AM bike you'll be much better off.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yes ok thats how most of you feel. I have GOT my dh and ridden up heaps of hills and gone xc riding heaps, really its not as hard as your all trying to make it out.
I say good on you. I used to ride my downhill bike to get to the trails a long time ago and it wasn't a bad thing. You push some bits but you also find some rad lines that you wouldn't hit on any other bike. A bike's a bike mate, you do what whatever you reckon it is capable of. ;)

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I say good on you. I used to ride my downhill bike to get to the trails a long time ago and it wasn't a bad thing. You push some bits but you also find some rad lines that you wouldn't hit on any other bike. A bike's a bike mate, you do what whatever you reckon it is capable of. ;)
Agreed. I remember, before my liscense, hucking off walls and finding little sneaky lines and gaps + cutty corners on peoples lawns. If you can't pedal up, push, i've seen guys on xc bikes pushing up hills, so it cant be that bigger deal. I used to think of it as you are doing the hard yards for the best fun.

Benny.

Likes Bikes
Yeah as you and i said, not really that hard. Cheers for the bike i love DH. But today i let my friend have a go and he ran unto a tree and snapped the front break thingy.

TheDavo

Squid
get yourself two bikes a hardtail and a cheap second hand dh bike to see if you like it. If its not for you sell it for what you paid no biggie.