Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Plow King

Little bit.
Thanks for the kind comments guys :) Definatly for the best P players can't drive these things. The last thing I would want to see are douchebags replacing their vls with ss's and vtecs to evos. This is coming from someone whom has 2 months to go on his p's. Sigh.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the kind comments guys :) Definatly for the best P players can't drive these things. The last thing I would want to see are douchebags replacing their vls with ss's and vtecs to evos. This is coming from someone whom has 2 months to go on his p's. Sigh.
Yeah it's scary over here seeing 17 year olds driving Evo X's or GTR's. Their relative cheapness only encourages it too.

Not to mention the 18 year old prick you occasionally see driving around in an E63 AMG...

merlz

Likes Bikes
sexy. what's under the bonnet?

cheers, just the stock matching numbers 245 hemi at the mo'... just had it all tuned up and drives really well. Had been sitting in the old guy's garage without being driven for 4 years so was running a bit ruff... thinking a 318 or 360 in the future but keep the factory look.

merlz

Likes Bikes
That looks fantastic mate I love the originality of it, great pickup. Subtle things like lowering and whitewalls make a huge difference, and that's all it needs.

Cheers Mitch

Thanks Mitch! The only thing i'm yet to add is the rear venetian... no big wheels or candy paint will go near it.

condog

Likes Dirt
Hye guys just a question for the motorbike enthusiests...

I have a wr250 with the standard off-road wheels. Ideally id like to get motard wheels but cost is a issue at the moment. Can you get road even a intermediate kind of tyre to fit on the larger rims?

Cheers.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody delt with customs? Im trying to find the tariff number for my clutch kit and short shift kit but no luck. Would they come under vehicle accessories?

Help :confused:

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hye guys just a question for the motorbike enthusiests...

I have a wr250 with the standard off-road wheels. Ideally id like to get motard wheels but cost is a issue at the moment. Can you get road even a intermediate kind of tyre to fit on the larger rims?

Cheers.
Yep, but it's the worst of both worlds. Save up for a set of motard wheels, or if you're handy, get yourself a cheap pair of RGV wheels or similar and make up your own spacers etc.

condog

Likes Dirt
Yep, but it's the worst of both worlds. Save up for a set of motard wheels, or if you're handy, get yourself a cheap pair of RGV wheels or similar and make up your own spacers etc.
Ohk cool, although im not really doing it for the handling side of things. Its just riding on the road wears through the dirt tyres so quickly!

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Washed! Oh and this just in, to add on the list of things i need but can't afford...an O2 sensor. Engine lights coming on every week, im sick of clearing the code!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Soooo... May or may not have just bought an RS Clio 197..

Well, not me, but my girlfriend with a lot of influence from me :p can't wait to get out in a fierce high-revving frenchy again.

Plow King

Little bit.

Washed! Oh and this just in, to add on the list of things i need but can't afford...an O2 sensor. Engine lights coming on every week, im sick of clearing the code!
You're much better at washing cars than I am :p

Anyone know of any decent double din systems? The stock 6 stacker headunit/speakers are pretty horrific. I don't want anything amazing just something that I can turn up loudish and not distort like a motherf...

fairy1

Banned
You're much better at washing cars than I am :p

Anyone know of any decent double din systems? The stock 6 stacker headunit/speakers are pretty horrific. I don't want anything amazing just something that I can turn up loudish and not distort like a motherf...
Just replace the speakers, a more powerful HU will make sweet FA difference in the amount of noise you get from the speakers. Find out what size your speakers are and buy some new more efficient ones, the speakers have their efficiency printed on the box, 91-92DB/M is about what to aim for.

fairy1

Banned
It doesn't matter, the best units won't put out much more than double the power of yours, double the power= 3db more sound, 3db is considered a slight(barely audible) increase in volume.

So if you find the most efficient speakers that sound nice it may play louder than inefficient speakers on a powerful HU, hope that make sense.

My POS has over 500W RMS just for the front speakers but it won't play much more than double the volume of a normal HU powered system, had to jump start it yesterday because of my stupid stereo.

mitch58

Likes Dirt
Here's my project it's a 1958 Chevrolet Belair. Got this Christmas eve 2009 when I just turned 14 unbelievable ey:D. Dad is into restoring cars and is currently restoring a Ford XC coupe and a XC wagon and he thought it would be great to get a project car for me to work on. So for my christmas/birthday present I talked my parents into getting this(didn't take much to convince my Dad as we got it for a good price being the day before Christmas). Pics below are low quality and blurry. Will get updated photos eventually. BTW the green wagon in the shed is not the XC wagon but an XA wagon dad had at the time. I'm currently fixing some minor rust issues and have the front guard at school for me to work on in my welding class. Will get pics of that too.
DSC00702.jpg24-12-08_2041.jpg24-12-08_2043.jpgDSC00713.jpg

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
ok so i need a bit of help with little things going wrong in my golf

when i turn the air con on high it puffs out filthy dusty shit with chunks of foam that i pick out of the vents, so is it just a problem with the whole air con unit ?, so what would i be looking at price wise to fix ? is it a job i can do with limited knowledge ?

another problem i have is with my speakers, i upgraded just my head-unit a few months ago and all was going well, then i realised when i put down the rear windows while the music was moderately loud it would shit itself and go screeching and incredibly loud while i was undoing the windows even though that never happened with my old head unit that i know of. so im just guessing its touching some sort of wiring ?? any easy way to fix with yet again not much knowledge of speaker systems ??

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a) Sounds like the pollen filter - Shouldn't be too hard - Google it.

b) Sounds like dodgy wiring, Only happen when the window is lowering or lowered? If it's the former I wouldn't worry bout it..

Last edited:

Toff

Likes Dirt
It doesn't matter, the best units won't put out much more than double the power of yours, double the power= 3db more sound, 3db is considered a slight(barely audible) increase in volume.

So if you find the most efficient speakers that sound nice it may play louder than inefficient speakers on a powerful HU, hope that make sense.

My POS has over 500W RMS just for the front speakers but it won't play much more than double the volume of a normal HU powered system, had to jump start it yesterday because of my stupid stereo.
Since you seem to be the car audio guru round these parts, I'll direct this your way (but if anyone else has something to add feel free):

Trying to plan out a sound system for the esky. Right now its just got the stock AM radio so it's pretty much a start from scratch deal. I'm after good sound quality rather than massive volume levels, but it'll still get a share of the clockwise twist.

Starting with the head unit, is Alpine still the way to go? I'm hesitant to go for anything Kenwood/ Pioneer/ Clarion etc. and Alpine is the only brand I know of thatn seems to get the consistant thumbs up.

Onto the speakers, I've been thinking that 6.5" splits all round might be the go this time round, after hearing from a few people that 6x9's don't really offer good sound. Any reason why not? Have any experience with Hertz gear?

The boot is surprisingly big, so I reckon I could fit one or possibly two 12" subs (or 10's. any reason to go 10's over 12's except for space?) in there with realtive ease. Again what brands should I be looking at?

As far as amps go, does branding really matter as much? I assume it's still a good idea to steer clear of Fusion/ Jensen but so long as you can match the RMS power requirements then it should be right, yes?

Don't want to spend a fortune, was hoping for ~$150 per pair of splits, ~$200 for the head unit, ~$500 for a sub/ amp combo and ~$150 for a 4 channel amp. Obviously willing to spend a bit extra if the gains are worth it, but after $1k it turns into a diminishing returns senario from what I've heard. These are all second hand/ ebay prices, not keen to pay retail.

Out of curiosity Fairy, what gear are you currently running?