Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Go the Kicker's Matty they're delicious.

I've got 2 JBL 12's in mine and am majorly regretting not buying the Kicker's.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here we were at midday today...after a good 5 hours of fiddling

Another hour of set backs and stuff arounds goes by and she's in, all done up

Come 5pm today, after 10 hours of work, i was in it and took it for a quick run before we had to piss off. I am so god damn happy its over. So much fun in that 10 hours though! Got home and put the short shift in which was an absolute peice of piss, whent for a run around the block with the biggest smile on my face! God it feels amazing, though my shifter now looks like a stump with the leather boot becoming squashed around it but oh well.

Flywheels definately noisy, chatters like hell at idle w/o clutch in and when decelerating and when you clutch out whilst driving hard. But no complaints from me i didn't expect any different.

Fuckin stoked!!!

fairy1

Banned
Nice work Ziggy, wish my car was that easy to do the clutch on.

Your short shift is just a short gerstic, it doesn't change the leverage?

I had a short shift(not short stick) in my first mini and it was awesome but you can be pretty brutal on the synchros if you give the stick a bit of a smackin. A light weight flywheel should help the synchros out a little bit though.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work Ziggy, wish my car was that easy to do the clutch on.

Your short shift is just a short gerstic, it doesn't change the leverage?

I had a short shift(not short stick) in my first mini and it was awesome but you can be pretty brutal on the synchros if you give the stick a bit of a smackin. A light weight flywheel should help the synchros out a little bit though.
Na proper short shift, adjustable too. Got it on its shortest setting and i don't think ill change it anytime soon!

Having a slight problem...took it for a 45km drive just then and it stalled twice whilst moving. Well once, i saved it the second time. First time shifting from 3rd to 4th at 3000rpm i kept the clutch in for a little bit longer than usual and bang, dead. No problem, side of the road then started it back up. 15 minutes later same thing, 3500rpm, clutch in to shift and i noticed the revs dropping well below idle and about to stall so i clutched out just in time to save it.

Im wondering if the sudden inertia of acceleration and then the even more sudden stop of power by clutch in is causing the lighter flywheel to drop well below idle and in turn stalling. Admittedly if i were too just shift quicker this wouldn't be a problem as im obviously letting the revs drop to atleast 1000rpm before shifting but i can be lazy and the damn thing revs free'er than anything so...

Ideas?

fairy1

Banned
Having a slight problem...took it for a 45km drive just then and it stalled twice whilst moving. Well once, i saved it the second time. First time shifting from 3rd to 4th at 3000rpm i kept the clutch in for a little bit longer than usual and bang, dead. No problem, side of the road then started it back up. 15 minutes later same thing, 3500rpm, clutch in to shift and i noticed the revs dropping well below idle and about to stall so i clutched out just in time to save it.

Im wondering if the sudden inertia of acceleration and then the even more sudden stop of power by clutch in is causing the lighter flywheel to drop well below idle and in turn stalling. Admittedly if i were too just shift quicker this wouldn't be a problem as im obviously letting the revs drop to atleast 1000rpm before shifting but i can be lazy and the damn thing revs free'er than anything so...

Ideas?
Seems odd, I imagine your car is fly by wire and it should keep enough fuel flowing to resist stalling. Mine keeps injecting fuel to slow the deceleration so it allows for smoother shifting but is a major pain as it drives like there is a 100000kg flywheel attached.

You may have to get a custom tune that alters the anti stall properties, most cars will throttle up if they think they are about to stall. Maybe your computer will learn and adapt to the new flywheel, if it doesn't you wil have to shift flat out everywhere-nice!

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems odd, I imagine your car is fly by wire and it should keep enough fuel flowing to resist stalling. Mine keeps injecting fuel to slow the deceleration so it allows for smoother shifting but is a major pain as it drives like there is a 100000kg flywheel attached.

You may have to get a custom tune that alters the anti stall properties, most cars will throttle up if they think they are about to stall. Maybe your computer will learn and adapt to the new flywheel, if it doesn't you wil have to shift flat out everywhere-nice!
Haha oh boy! I can't imagine engine braking being all that beneficial with more fuel being injected when declerating? Yeh fly by and its not a serious concern. There apparently notorious for being terribly tuned from factory so i hear and there are flash tuners available so i might splurge out sometime soon but the im not too sure the benefits outweigh the cost on that one...unless the damn thing starts stalling left right and centre. :rolleyes:

fairy1

Banned
If you do a tune go a full exhaust first, there will be a tune that matches(sorta) a replacement exhaust and will make it much snappier.

People write off the flash tunes as they don't pull a heap more power but with fly by wire your butterfly doesn't do what you tell it to with your foot. If you smash your foot to the floor the butterfly won't open at the same rate it will open as your computer allows your engine to accelerate efficiently.

If you get a flash tune you usually get power earlier and more torque everywhere, normally fuel effiency is better post tune but if you get up it lots your fuel consumption goes south because your butterfly opens more when you want it to rather than when your EPA loving computer wants it to.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you do a tune go a full exhaust first, there will be a tune that matches(sorta) a replacement exhaust and will make it much snappier.

People write off the flash tunes as they don't pull a heap more power but with fly by wire your butterfly doesn't do what you tell it to with your foot. If you smash your foot to the floor the butterfly won't open at the same rate it will open as your computer allows your engine to accelerate efficiently.

If you get a flash tune you usually get power earlier and more torque everywhere, normally fuel effiency is better post tune but if you get up it lots your fuel consumption goes south because your butterfly opens more when you want it to rather than when your EPA loving computer wants it to.
Roger roger. I've put a 2 1/2 mandrel bent from cat back that goes into a 2 1/4 the last 2 feet or so. Headers i never really wanted to touch because from what ive read the factory ones are really the best, sure they probably wouldn't be THE BEST but only by a marginal few horses and unless you've got a huge list of mods done under your belt before hand i don't see much power coming from new headers.

I've also gotta keep in mind that come open license ill probably be hunting down a new toy and i doubt ill get much back of what ive put into this car. Pics next week though after its been professionally buffed and polished :eek:

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
I would kill to restore and/or modify a car.
My neighbor is currently restoring a Mustang at his shop and my uncle spent awhile restoring a Chevy, if I remember correctly.

About 2 months ago, I was at work going to a job in the van and we were at a set traffic lights in Dandenong. Next to us was two young blokes in a half turn down ute looks like it was half way through some work, it was amazing even in the state it was in and sounded like a dream with it's V8 and subs.

Today, I remembered it and spent all this morning trying to find out what car it was since it had no badges.

So, what's the best way to get into car restoration and modification?
My dad is a diesel mechanic by trade and would most likely be up for it but we don't really have the space at home to do anything and my dad isn't THAT knowledgeable with cars :\

Turns out it was mid 90's Holden Rodeo LS Spacecab, I believe.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I would kill to restore and/or modify a car.
My neighbor is currently restoring a Mustang at his shop and my uncle spent awhile restoring a Chevy, if I remember correctly.

About 2 months ago, I was at work going to a job in the van and we were at a set traffic lights in Dandenong. Next to us was two young blokes in a half turn down ute looks like it was half way through some work, it was amazing even in the state it was in and sounded like a dream with it's V8 and subs.

Today, I remembered it and spent all this morning trying to find out what car it was since it had no badges.

So, what's the best way to get into car restoration and modification?
My dad is a diesel mechanic by trade and would most likely be up for it but we don't really have the space at home to do anything and my dad isn't THAT knowledgeable with cars :\

Turns out it was mid 90's Holden Rodeo LS Spacecab, I believe.
Depends on finances, available time, car models of interest and how deep in you want to get.

First figure out what you want to work on and what is practical with cost ie. offroader, something from japan, aussie, muscle, european etc. All options are fairly well represented in this thread.

Figure out how deep and complex you want to get. I bought a car that drove fine with transmission, engine and body in fairly good condition, but basically everything in need of some work. It allows you to get greasy and need to take basically everything apart. I didn't need to cut or replace any floor pans or body panels which makes it a lot easier. A lot of guys at school bought fairly recent model cars and set about improving them with simplish stuff-cold air intakes, sounds system, new wheels+rubber etc. A nice mx5 can be picked up with change for 10k which would make a sweet project, but in all reality this can be done to anything-just don't do a p-plater pimp mobile. Or you can go really deep with a full body off restoration, but that is getting very complicated.

Space is essential-the deeper you go into a resto/modification the more space you will need. After some negotiation with my incredibly accommodating parents, I've basically taken over the garage. There were peices of engine lying around for weeks at a time. For that reason, along with I'm assuming a relative lack of mechanical expertise, I would lean towards a more recent model or one that doesn't require taking apart completely so jobs can be completed across a couple of afternoons and you can surrender the garage back to your parents when they need it. This route is often cheaper as less will require replacing on the way.

Regarding mechanical knowledge, with old cars at least a person put it together, meaning a person can take it apart again, usually relatively simply.

Figure out what you are interested in, what is financially realistic, track down a couple of cars on-line that you would be interested in buying then approach your dad about it. The more comprehensive the plan the more likely it is he'll say yes.

Last edited:

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Well, at any one time there is 5 cars for my household "my" future car *I have bought it off my parents, but my mum is driving it until I get my P's*, my dad's 2006 MX-5 that he loves, both my sisters cars and my sisters boyfriends.

So I don't think I would be allowed to run the garage, especially given the fact that our court is already crammed with cars. My dad would never let me touch his steering wheel, let alone engine.

Something I would like to do would be service a engine and such, clean up the interior, sound system, general mods and after everything is done then maybe a paint job.

EDIT: Hypothetical question, what kind of thought and consideration goes into putting a V6/8 in a car? :)

dog boy

Likes Dirt
EDIT: Hypothetical question, what kind of thought and consideration goes into putting a V6/8 in a car? :)
Well if you want it to be roadworthy I'm willing to bet it would have to be engineered. As in properly engineered by a certified engineer and then registered as a modified car. So to start with not cheap.

Also judging by your name your 17 so on p's and in QLD (not sure where ur from) but you cant drive a modified car let alone a V'8

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Also judging by your name your 17 so on p's and in QLD (not sure where ur from) but you cant drive a modified car let alone a V'8
17 and in VIC, I'm aware of the restrictions, I must be 21 to blah blah blah... Which is why I "own" a 2006 Holden Astra Coupe CDX.

But, if me and my dad were to start restoring a car and or modifying a car, it most likely wouldn't be this year and I'm assuming it would take 2-3 years to finish anyway.

I walked into the kitchen and my dad was watching Monster Garage and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to hint at it. I said I saw a nice looking hobby car the other day and he asked what kinda and I'm like it looked like blah blah blah and he said "People restore vintage cars, not shitboxes." kinda put an end to our discussion and I carried on doing what I was doing :\

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"People restore vintage cars, not shitboxes." kinda put an end to our discussion and I carried on doing what I was doing :\
Haha. My mates and I are attempting to get an Old KE70 Rolla running again after it hit a tree. It most certainly is a shitbox. It's a bit of fun and we got it for free though.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Something I would like to do would be service a engine and such, clean up the interior, sound system, general mods and after everything is done then maybe a paint job.

A lot of thought. Heaps and heaps of thought. Then a lot of money follows the thought. Then hours in a garage. Then depending on model an engineers certificate. In old american stuff it isn't too hard to do and you shouldn't require an engineers certificate. From memory, the way the VSB's read is if the car could originally be equiped from the factory with the engine you are trying to install (or a modern equivalent block) then it doesn't require a certificate. If you are putting something that never belonged in there, or putting a chev engine in a ford rod or something like that you will need certificates proving it is legal. For a first project car, I wouldn't try.

v8 oldsmobile, $7500
Car

Dodge phoenix, $5k

'78 ford LTD, $3500

All should full fill criteria of vintage after a brief search on car sales. That ford is stylin' by the way.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anybody know where i could get a #203 Viton O-Ring from? Im more than happy to pay for a packet of them but i just need one. Not to keen on waiting for overseas shipping :eek:

fairy1

Banned
Does anybody know where i could get a #203 Viton O-Ring from? Im more than happy to pay for a packet of them but i just need one. Not to keen on waiting for overseas shipping :eek:
Cheers Ziggy was trying to remember the name of Viton the other day, if anyone is playing with burned out cars or engines it would really pay to do your research on Viton, it can(supposedly) do nasty things to you.
Seems to be 300deg C is the magic number to make Viton angry, so not a concern to most people.
http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/PEN_09004a35803e45a8.pdf

MSDS doesn't sound nearly as bad as they made it out at TAFE, they were talking of it eating bone etc.:confused: