The Husky 100ker

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hmmmm... luckily I took the eskars with me, yes they were fat and slow,
a perfect match between tyre and rider
...but they held the line when I saw bikes heading for the scrub,
my front popped out of the big mud holes, when others dug in... and over.

OK Mr Ozimad, how'd you go?
I came in ahead of 2nd last in the old farts.
I didn't hear anyone singing country or western,
I guess your mouth was shut to keep the mud out?
were you humming? Dolly Partion perhaps?

ttfn, CarpetRunner
Yes good call. I was thinking of a dry track. I did a last minute change to Nobby Nics and was pretty freaking glad that I did!

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
yeah i i agree with marky69, 800 people go the right way and if you were one of the twenty or thirty who went the wrong way...no one to blame but yourselves i say, track markings were fine and adequate...you guys obviously werent looking where you were going
what do you expect a marshall on every single turn to make sure YOU go the right way?
well done blackheart events, always rom for improvement for next year but overall well run event and good vibe

Marky069

Likes Bikes
had no food on offer
hmm, i cant put this one out of my head. I saw more snakes (jellie type), pine apple and shots tablets than I could poke a stick at. Considering i distinctly remember the race document that was sent out telling us to be self suffient and not rely on the food at the food stands, i really must draw the conclusion that you need your eyes checked. once again, sour grapes (yes, this is my bug-bear!)

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
-----------8<------------------
When I got home my mate couldn't believe any of my gears worked at all - but other than the obligatory stick, didn't miss a beat.

<top_oz_bloke's dirty bike image removed>

snap...ish similar mud dispersion - I also ran 1x9 - but I had to carry the other 2 chainsucking rings with me for 100km :frusty:

DSC_6961scale.JPG

foolbis

Likes Dirt
hmm, i cant put this one out of my head. I saw more snakes (jellie type), pine apple and shots tablets than I could poke a stick at. Considering i distinctly remember the race document that was sent out telling us to be self suffient and not rely on the food at the food stands, i really must draw the conclusion that you need your eyes checked. once again, sour grapes (yes, this is my bug-bear!)
I'm not one to get too caught up in all this curfuffle, but my 2 cents:

1) Food at feeding stations was more than adequate. I'll say it again MORE than adequate! I was by no means in the lead group and there was plenty available. Who knew Pineapple could taste sooooooooo good in a race like this!!

2) Water lacking at the 56km feed station. Not good. Many many riders would have strategised to fill up at this point rather than at the 26km mark. BUT.... let me say...if riders were using water to WASH THEIR BIKES, then shame on them. I used a stick to clear the gum out of my derailleur, water is for drinking, not for cleaning your gear! If it was poorly planned, then yes, I would expect this to be learnt from.

3) Marshalls - Not enough marshalls I agree. A number of times in my half delirious state I thought to myself "if only I knew where that trail went I could get home sooner and save my poor bike and legs some pain". It WOULD have been easy to do...but again, shame on anyone who did anything more than think about it (and did it on purpose) . That said, you dont need someone on every corner, but I would recommend considering key points in the trail where it might be possible to take some serious shortcuts and have them marked

4) Signage - I thought to myself a number of times, "you know these arrows and crosses are pretty easy to miss", but when I looked across at the other trail options, I always saw that little red cross and knew which way I was going. The ONLY time I got a little lost was at the end of the course.

There...ive said my bit... I can go to bed happy now :)

Last edited:

bt100

Likes Dirt
There's only 95km of route there, was this the short cut version?

I was in the first wave after the elites, and apparently we took some short cut, I have no idea where. Others in my group with computers on had 93km on their displays... So the above must be the short cut and I am confused about the 11km that we missed is, anchor it happened (I had no idea until we crossed the line). We also screwed at the 65k point with an under marked corner that took some standing around in a group debating which way to go to get right.

Mostly I am just gutted to spend almost a grand on food, accom, fuel, entry and bike damage only to get an event that was under marked, under marshaled, had no food on offer and the kick to the guts was a 1 hour time penalty when I had done my best.

Gutted.
No this wasn't the short cut version. The GPS route is correct but after I upgraded the firmware my last two rides (of routes I do regularly are short). Discussed earlier, apparently the short cut that happened missed seeing the KOM sign which I went past.

Edit: I know the garmin site is having issues but if you check now it says 98.59km which is what sportstracks says when I loaded it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104601038

Last edited:

Rida

Likes Bikes
I was in the first wave after the elites, and apparently we took some short cut, I have no idea where. Others in my group with computers on had 93km on their displays... So the above must be the short cut and I am confused about the 11km that we missed is, anchor it happened (I had no idea until we crossed the line). We also screwed at the 65k point with an under marked corner that took some standing around in a group debating which way to go to get right.

Mostly I am just gutted to spend almost a grand on food, accom, fuel, entry and bike damage only to get an event that was under marked, under marshaled, had no food on offer and the kick to the guts was a 1 hour time penalty when I had done my best.

Gutted.
Overall I think it was a great event and very well organised.
Although not all on this thread agree, I think that the course marking/signage is something that needs to be improved - it would probably be fixed by having just a couple more marshals out on the course.

I got completely confused at one junction (I think the one just before the 65 km mark, before the long fire road stretch to Coodoo) and had to wait for the next group of riders to come through to make sure I was going the right way. It seemed to be really well marked as you approached the junction but when you got to the junction and looked slightly to the left another arrow came into view that was pointing straight ahead rather than to the right. Lost a few minutes in confusion here. I also took a wrong turn after the first section of the Superbowl track because once I got on the Superbowl track I just switched to autopilot and assumed we were doing the whole loop in one go (I think I was just so relieved to get away from that muddy firetrail!). Luckily when I took the wrong turn the riders behind me yelled out "wrong way" so I only lost a few seconds there. I think this may have been the wrong turn that ended in a large bunch of the faster riders cutting off 11km of the course. Having done it myself I think it was a very easy mistake to make, especially if you were riding in a bunch. I'd be completely gutted as well if I had pushed on absolutely busting my arse only to find I'd just gone X number of km in the wrong direction or had short-cutted the course.

Complaints about no food on offer may have been a reference to the finish rather than out on the course I think? I finished mid pack (6.30) and after spending about 45mins in the queue for the hose to clean my bike (my choice I know) there was absolutely no food left to buy.

Anyway, I think overall it was well organised. Things to improve for next year:

- more course marshalls
- more food at the end
- maybe two or three hoses instead of one (please)?

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
... I also took a wrong turn after the first section of the Superbowl track because once I got on the Superbowl track I just switched to autopilot and assumed we were doing the whole loop in one go (I think I was just so relieved to get away from that muddy firetrail!). Luckily when I took the wrong turn the riders behind me yelled out "wrong way" so I only lost a few seconds there. I think this may have been the wrong turn that ended in a large bunch of the faster riders cutting off 11km of the course...
Yep that's the bit where they went astray. Despite knowing the trails I found following the arrows easy enough except there. For some reason at the point if you know the track at all you just want to go into it. I didn't because the signs were there but a guy riding with us very nearly did. I suspect you just see signs, see singletrack and go...

The conditions were really quite good. All that warm dry weather leading up minimised the impact of the showers on Saturday night. Of course the previous week or more of rain left a legacy of waterholes, but it was pretty good really. None of the wheel clogging clay that I have seen out there. Still way glad I chose the single speed. Replaced the chain this morning. I was going to anyway, but yesterday made it not a choice, but that was it.

Maybe I'm obsessed with trails surfaces or something, but in those conditions you really notice what a great job a layer of leaf litter does at making a trail more water resistant. The sections that that weren't completely clear were, I think, way better to ride on.

Bermshot

Banned
I didn't race but did a quick run through Coondoo Friday arv and couldn't believe the single track that has been cut in, fantastic, not to mention the obsticles from last months weather added, whoaa. There were still wet sections but what do expect from a month of rain/high winds and only a week of sun? The race went ahead, as it should. As others have stipulated, was it MTBing?

Bwahahaha SCUM tactics (you bastards didn't know where you were), we are going to take over WSMTB and CORC...hahaha!

Question, should a prime race on the calendar (or any) be called off due to lack of track marshals?

murf58

Likes Bikes
Question, should a prime race on the calendar (or any) be called off due to lack of track marshals?
No - but then I wouldnt call it a prime race if the organisation is lacking such that it impacts the experience of the participants eg not enough marshalls, running out of water etc - some people are obviously gutted they took a wrong turn and missed 'finishing' the course properly after all the training etc etc. I dont want a marshall at every turn but it is clear there were some points during the race that were vague and perhaps better signage or marshalls would have helped (I didn't get lost but was worried a few times). The issue for Blackheart is that due to the increasing number of events on the calendar, expectations are growing and riders will become choosier about where they fork out money. I have done Dirtworks and the Rock Wallaby this year and both were better organised events in my opinion.

Regardless, the race does have the potential to be a prime race. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see the repeated themes in this thread and realise there are some major, but fixable, issues that need addressing. Its up to Blackheart whether they want this to be a prime race and whether will do anything about it for next year and the longer term. I for one, would have preferred to pay a few more dollars to ensure the course was adequately marshalled and perhaps to have a mechanic and enough water on course at the 60km stop. I know that wont please all and its an unenviable balancing act event organisers have to deal with.

Someone mentioned earlier about having more guernies post event to minimise waiting time - I agree, but think another option would be to have an official/volunteer (or someone trained) actually doing the washing on a 1 -2 minute timer (30-60s each side of the bike). This would be enough time to give the bike a good enough clean (get the worst of the gunk off the bike) and keep the line moving. Alternatively a couple of guerneys on different times with gold coin donations.

DaviB

Cannon Fodder
water

I reckon any one using water to clean their bike whilst on course should be shot.
Spare a thought numb nuts, we all would like a drink.
One bottle at a time, I will even let you drink and refill, but don,t wash your bike and refill.

Rather a serious issue of safety.
I know event was self sufficent, but 8 ltrs of water is a lot to consider.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Someone mentioned earlier about having more guernies post event to minimise waiting time - I agree, but think another option would be to have an official/volunteer (or someone trained) actually doing the washing on a 1 -2 minute timer (30-60s each side of the bike). This would be enough time to give the bike a good enough clean (get the worst of the gunk off the bike) and keep the line moving. Alternatively a couple of guerneys on different times with gold coin donations.[/QUOTE]

I was with a team mate in Austria in June, the bikes were dirty and the jet wash line was long. We challenged each other to sub 2minute cleaning. Jobs done in 145, no problem. But it takes experience, and most mtbers fear of a jet washer prevents that.

Smiker

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I was with a team mate in Austria in June, the bikes were dirty and the jet wash line was long. We challenged each other to sub 2minute cleaning. Jobs done in 145, no problem. But it takes experience, and most mtbers fear of a jet washer prevents that.

Smiker
Mike - you and your mate dont fancy popping round to do Jenny's and my bike do you? Just finish up those riots in London and get on the next plane back. I'll shout you a six pack. I've got a ride planned on sunday and my bike is awful...I have no fear of a jet-washer if someone else is doing it.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the feedback guys

In terms of marshalls we're doing three things for future so we can use our marshalls where they need to be rather than where they ended up. 1 ) back up from state forests - given we pay a premium to have a "closed forest" for the day we'd like to see some help with maintaining that. 2) we're looking at paying police next year to be there - especially near superbowl and coondoo areas. 3) We will also pay to get more marshalls on course rather than rely on volunteers.

I'll be ordering more large arrows this evening for use at BottleButt and Husky next year. We will still be putting out orange tape, a mix of large and small arrows, and crosses. We'll also get the pre sweeps out again however they didn't have any problems with the course at 1:30am night before at Husky Saturday night/Sunday morning (and they hadn't ridden the course previously).

Thank you to those who have provided feedback. We will do what we can to act on it for future races.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys

In terms of marshalls we're doing three things for future so we can use our marshalls where they need to be rather than where they ended up. 1 ) back up from state forests - given we pay a premium to have a "closed forest" for the day we'd like to see some help with maintaining that. 2) we're looking at paying police next year to be there - especially near superbowl and coondoo areas. 3) We will also pay to get more marshalls on course rather than rely on volunteers.

I'll be ordering more large arrows this evening for use at BottleButt and Husky next year. We will still be putting out orange tape, a mix of large and small arrows, and crosses. We'll also get the pre sweeps out again however they didn't have any problems with the course at 1:30am night before at Husky Saturday night/Sunday morning (and they hadn't ridden the course previously).

Thank you to those who have provided feedback. We will do what we can to act on it for future races.
Maybe consider signing "exit routes" out to the event centre, to main roads or to the nearest marshall point or feedstation. I'm sure getting out or getting help was often a case of just following a firetrail for 500m but when you're not familiar with the area that is impossible to know and no one wants to get lost.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
An interesting thought - what would have it been like if all 500 (+/-) riders registered for the 100ker actually turned up and raced...?? as it was about 300 raced with an attrition rate of about 1 in 5.... Where and why did people pull out once started? Were the bulk of people dnfing due to the conditions/mechanicals/time???

It's a risky business being a race promoter - I could just imagine the anguish if the rain kept falling on the Sunday morning... 2 postponements for the one event in one year would have been catastrophic.