Playstation 3 Thread

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Really you cant base bf3 on what bc/bc2 is though, bc is nothing like a proper battlefield game in any way.

Your very naive if you think bc2 didnt have its problems though. There was alot of patches on that game.
Whaaat ??? Alot of patches ?? Sure you are looking at the right BC2 mate?
Problems were minimal but I'm keen to hear your list of game stoppers.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The hitbox problem. Server lag, Overpowered weapons (m60 namely), Lack of maps and so on. I dont know if ps3 was the same but the pc version would update itself almost every second week i think ps3 they just compile 3-4 pc patches into the one so the files are bigger and your not updating all the time.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The bad company series has the least replayability out of all the of the battlefield franchise. Im an old school battlefield 1942/vietnam player, played bf2 for a fair while too but got over that before i even stopped playing 1942. you say bc2 has tactics and ever round is different, but it isnt really once you get a gun you like you never change, vehicles add nothing to the gameplay and you end up just running around shooting people albeit on a larger scale. You yourself basically said your going to keep playing just to unlock stuff. Well have fun with that but im telling you now bf3 is going to be the end of people playing bc2.
I should have explained a bit more; I'm only rank 10 so far and haven't pumped a heap of time into over the last two weeks that I've had it but I know the gameplay suits me much more. I'm intrigued in unlocking the extra stuff as it is a new game to me. Anyway, I still reckon you'll get a game on it at any time even when Battlefield 3 is out. You can still get a game on Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops will be loaded once Modern Warfare 3 is out.
I love the larger maps as it makes sniping and the use of vehicles so much more logical. Sniping and scope shooting on COD isn't appealing to me as much as Battlefield as the maps are too cluttered.
It is a different style of game we're talking here with COD being more of an arcade shooter where as Battlefield feels more calculating and has more point to it.
I'm not going to get into a grudge match over the titles but I will gladly put my opinion forward for discussion so join in!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
The hitbox problem. Server lag, Overpowered weapons (m60 namely), Lack of maps and so on. I dont know if ps3 was the same but the pc version would update itself almost every second week i think ps3 they just compile 3-4 pc patches into the one so the files are bigger and your not updating all the time.
ahhhh PC !!! : ) Yep on PS3 there was only 1 possibly 2 patches released. I have not played the PC version, did it suffer from the same sort of glitches and hacks COD did ?????

The map packs I didnt really count as fixes. I also really liked how different games modes opened up different parts of maps.

Dozer, if you like big maps and have not done so, get into the Conquest game mode and try maps like Heavy Metal. :)

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahhhh PC !!! : ) Yep on PS3 there was only 1 possibly 2 patches released. I have not played the PC version, did it suffer from the same sort of glitches and hacks COD did ?????

The map packs I didnt really count as fixes. I also really liked how different games modes opened up different parts of maps.

Dozer, if you like big maps and have not done so, get into the Conquest game mode and try maps like Heavy Metal. :)
Map packs were released in patches on the pc so youd get fixes too.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It isn't relevant to this thread but for the life of me I can't see why anyone would enjoy Gears of War. It isn't worthy of the hype that gaming sites are giving it and leads me to believe it has the same marketing guru as Killzone. They must be paying third party people to promote it and plug it and give good reviews. I played the first Gears of War and barfed from boredom and attempted the second to see if the game had improved and loaded another patch vomit on top of the other.
Is anyone keen on Rage? I have a demo on my Ipad and it is a cool feel of Doom that reminds me of Fallout.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

BF3 Beta is out this week !!! If you were silly enough to purchase MoH then you get early access, a whole 2 days !!
For the rest of us, BF3 Beta will be available for download in the PS Store at 10:00pm Thursday night.

Friday will be a slowdown of the global economy due to an unprecedented number of sick days experienced around the world.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

BF3 Beta is out this week !!! If you were silly enough to purchase MoH then you get early access, a whole 2 days !!
For the rest of us, BF3 Beta will be available for download in the PS Store at 10:00pm Thursday night.

Friday will be a slowdown of the global economy due to an unprecedented number of sick days experienced around the world.
Thanks for the heads up! I checked last night but realized the date was American (written european? wtf). Downloading the Beta on PC and PS3. Seems like we only get Rush, Metro.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up! I checked last night but realized the date was American (written european? wtf). Downloading the Beta on PC and PS3. Seems like we only get Rush, Metro.
Yep, though I see Caspian Border may be available soon (the one with Jets etc)

The Metro map is pretty good, fnally got through to the third set of crates and the destructible city really works well.
Getting owned a bit as its a little tough with iron sights when you start.

Overall for a beta its pretty good, though I felt better about Arica Harbour when it was released in Beta.... but lets wait and see. thumbs up overall

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
metros is just one huge bottleneck of a map, its a shitfight at the best of times especially in the tunnels trying to kill guys who just camp waiting for you.hey ea the maps need to be bigggger!. also rego sucks ASS front on shotgun shots that come up with the hit rego on your crosshair but no damage done. Weapons feel way too gutless too, i hate the sounds and feel of guns in games these days, they sound like pea shooters and handle like them too but then somehow have the ability to jump all over the shop when you try to shoot anything

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I spent a few hours on the Battlefield 3 beta and as much as I like it I'll still say I prefer Bad Company 2. BF3 has a COD feel to it with the scope waver, the bottleneck and choke points and some of the weapon attachments. The placement of the M Comms stations is a little out of sorts if going by the BC2 stuff but hopefully it feels better on bigger maps. The beta has some mega glitches but the point of a beta is to iron that shit out............and to get a one up on Call of Duty and sell more stock. ;)
I won't judge the game much more until I've put a few hours into the actual game as this is a fairly basic game mode to start with.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spent a few hours on the Battlefield 3 beta and as much as I like it I'll still say I prefer Bad Company 2. BF3 has a COD feel to it with the scope waver, the bottleneck and choke points and some of the weapon attachments. The placement of the M Comms stations is a little out of sorts if going by the BC2 stuff but hopefully it feels better on bigger maps. The beta has some mega glitches but the point of a beta is to iron that shit out............and to get a one up on Call of Duty and sell more stock. ;)
I won't judge the game much more until I've put a few hours into the actual game as this is a fairly basic game mode to start with.
Conquest is where the real bf games will be played. rush is gonna be for all the cod fanboys. I dont like how raped low level get against high ones, bring back stock weapons per team and maybe an unlock per class bf2 style and the game will be better for it, kids might get over it quicker but good riddance. 1942, vietnam and bf2 have all lasted way longer then bc or bc2 and they had minimal unlocks if any. Not a huge fan of the fact if you get a torch or laser shined in your direction you cant see anything either, its a bit of a joke. But big maps and vehicles is where the selling point will be.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Conquest is where the real bf games will be played. rush is gonna be for all the cod fanboys. I dont like how raped low level get against high ones, bring back stock weapons per team and maybe an unlock per class bf2 style and the game will be better for it, kids might get over it quicker but good riddance. 1942, vietnam and bf2 have all lasted way longer then bc or bc2 and they had minimal unlocks if any. Not a huge fan of the fact if you get a torch or laser shined in your direction you cant see anything either, its a bit of a joke. But big maps and vehicles is where the selling point will be.
Standard loadout should have included a basic scoped rifle as a bare min.. its not like these soldiers are from 3rd word countries without any $$$ to outfit their forces.
I feel Dice compromised on the prone side of things with the scope flare. While I hate campers i think this is a little too "obvious" for my liking.
The torch in the face is not a bad idea and reflects reasonably accurately what happens when you get a high powered torch in your face, though it is annoying.

The run'n'gunners and COD kidz will be gone the moment CODMWhatever is released. I really enjoy BC2 at the moment for this very reason.

Metro map with even 64 players must be chaotic...?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Standard loadout should have included a basic scoped rifle as a bare min.. its not like these soldiers are from 3rd word countries without any $$$ to outfit their forces.
I feel Dice compromised on the prone side of things with the scope flare. While I hate campers i think this is a little too "obvious" for my liking.
The torch in the face is not a bad idea and reflects reasonably accurately what happens when you get a high powered torch in your face, though it is annoying.

The run'n'gunners and COD kidz will be gone the moment CODMWhatever is released. I really enjoy BC2 at the moment for this very reason.

Metro map with even 64 players must be chaotic...?
yeah but you dont get a little blind by it, your entire screengoes white or red its annoying as all hell specially in dark bottleneck rooms

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
yeah but you dont get a little blind by it, your entire screengoes white or red its annoying as all hell specially in dark bottleneck rooms
I think thats the plan.. your a MTB'er, surely you have stared into 500+ lumens at close range at some stage?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your whole vision doesnt go white. especially if your not 1ft away staring into the lens. Im a boilermaker and i can stand 3m away from a welder and look right at the gun while hes going and not be blinded, sure its not nice but i dont go white. Its a good concept but its been way overdone and is only going to be an absolutely shithead of a thing once people start running around doing it all the time. Even the flashlights in broad daylight areas is stupidly noticeable.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mind the lights. More often then not they have been in my advantage. I.e. red dot near me, I see them in the distance, bang! However the flashlight in the eyes = strategic "spray and pray" in the direction of the light lol.

Scope flair I though was cool but thinking about it abit more, it will wreck the game. They will fix it though, the balance indifference will be too great. With scope flair, sniping from a hidden spot is pretty much impossible and prone is pointless (apart from being a smaller target).

I love the rest of the game though, feels alot smoother with the parkour style running and the classic BF atmosphere has been bumped up abit. That moment when the whole tunnel shakes? Awesome.

Most of the people/textures suck and I don't care because it's the beta, but really the game goes to print in less then two weeks. I hope they purposely put horrible textures in the beta to save on file size or something. Can anyone confirm?

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
General consensus seems to be that this beta is not the latest code that was available... hence all the bugs and shit that was not seen at the press launch a few weeks back, so skins and textures etc I am not really that worried about, but definately do want to see some better/different maps.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Re bf3

I'm not sure about the light myself, but I'm not sure about a few things in the game really.
I've never really played much of the CoD stuff, but would I be right in saying that put some of that style of game into this? I can't tell if I don't like certain stuff for genuine reasons, or simply that I've played only BC2 since April 2010 and I'm living my FPS life with the blinkers on!
First impressions for me (and I'm only thinking out loud) is that I don't really care for modern environments like this city/subway thing going on, and I'll be damn if I even know what this scope is you lot are talking about or even how to get/use the torch. Also, all the guns seems to have to oomph, sound wise- or is it just me? It's only Beta, and only been a week and I feel months behind!!!
My 2c anyway.. I'm off to Arica Harbour!