Playstation 3 Thread

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
So I've spent a day at home with a busted leg playing Battlefield 3 and I'm in love. It is a great great game and isn't anything like the other shit you can play online. The limited amount of game play modes are one thing that make it great and the rewards you earn for leveling up fit in just right with what you hope to achieve. I've come across some total tools singing with their headsets on but they are getting drilled and will disappear on November 8th. ;)
Does anyone use Playstation Home? I set it up originally and haven't touched it for over a year.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I has BF3.

I love it! I play assault and I'm so stoked I now have the medkits! Might aswell call be the pope. Took me awhile to get my aim in but now the game is just awesome.

Add me, I like to squad. :biggrin:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
med kits? pffft youll ditch those as soon as the nade launcher comes up :p wait till you get the an-94! that things a headshot machine!

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Hey PS3 Rotorfarkers, I'm pretty much set on joining the club. Just wondering a few things:

Big W, JB etc have deals on the 160gb console for about $350. Anywhere cheaper, or is that pretty legit?
Any real reason to get the 320gb instead?
Can they play PS2 games?
What else (apart from console + controller) will I need? HDMI cable and some sort of cable to play online, or...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Hey PS3 Rotorfarkers, I'm pretty much set on joining the club. Just wondering a few things:

Big W, JB etc have deals on the 160gb console for about $350. Anywhere cheaper, or is that pretty legit?
Can they play PS2 games?
What else (apart from console + controller) will I need? HDMI cable and some sort of cable to play online, or...?

Only reason to go the 320 is if you intend on getting PlayTV, in which case you'll find the extra space handy (I've got a 250 and it regularly gets down to <5Gb). HDMI cable if you've got a HDTV, they have inbuilt wireless but if you want a better connection you'll need an ethernet cable to connect to your router (mines at the other end of the house so cable isn't possible, inbuilt wireless was a godsend).

kable

Squid

Can they play PS2 games?

hey mate.

I honestly reckon JB has some of the better prices on the consoles and stuff. Plus they'll give you a few extra bonuses with it.

The difference between the 160 and 320 obviously is the space. Some people like to put movies and music onto their hard drive just for ease.
But most likely the hard drive will be used to store:
- Game info.
- Game saves and accounts.
- Downloaded content. (map packs, games all that)
- game updates
I have a 160gb slim and have run into no problems with space.

Unfortunately the slim doesnt have backwards capability, only the earlier models do. So just hold onto the old ps2 if you still want to play those games.
One thing though is that the ps store now is putting old PSone games up for purchase.

Extras you will need is how hardcore into gaming your going to get. Only extras i have is a headset.
You will need an ethernet cable to plug into your modem, but if you have wireless you can hook it straight up through that.
HDMI though is a must i reckon, makes the picture and sound quality alot better.

Hopes this helps mate.

Btw absolutely loving bf3. Definately a cod killer.
If anyones keen to squad up in bf3 hit me up :eagerness:

Rue

Likes Dirt

Can they play PS2 games?

Go for the 160gb instead.
Reason why? Well you can change the hard drive and not void the warranty.
The original PS3 had that in mind as Sony knew HDD would increase in size.
PS3 Slims are the same. Heres a video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sRkj89axOU
More detail, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3_fqTkZKQ&feature=related

So say hello to a 1TB HDD PS3.

:D.

Oh just as a note, I upgraded my 60GB PS3 with a 320GB HDD.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for the 160gb instead.
Reason why? Well you can change the hard drive and not void the warranty.
The original PS3 had that in mind as Sony knew HDD would increase in size.
PS3 Slims are the same. Heres a video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sRkj89axOU
More detail, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3_fqTkZKQ&feature=related

So say hello to a 1TB HDD PS3.

Raging - Our TV is out for 2-3 weeks getting warrantied, Still havent played BF3 at all.. Probably a good thing given exams are looming..

Oh just as a note, I upgraded my 60GB PS3 with a 320GB HDD.
This, You can get a 1000GB drive for <$100.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
med kits? pffft youll ditch those as soon as the nade launcher comes up :p wait till you get the an-94! that things a headshot machine!
Oh man. The temptation was massive. I was using the grenade launcher for awhile and it really helps but then quickly switched back. I get a shitload of points for healing vs. extra nade kills.

Someone else said it before but I'll say it again: Rocketfield 3. Lol. Ahwell, MW3 comes out today, that should dissapear soon.

Can they play PS2 games?

If you haven't got one yet, Try an find a bundle deal with a game you like, Works out cheaper. I.e. $350 with a $100 game you like = $250 console. BTW, They were <$300 on special not that long ago, If you desperate to save the extra $50-$100, wait a little closer to Christmas.

You need to get a cable from PS3 to TV, Either a HDTV component cable if it's on a standard TV or a HDMI cable if it's on a HD TV.

Add everyone in this thread and online is pretty awesome!

Joy

Likes Dirt
Guys, Uncharted 3 is seriously blowing my mind right now. This game is getting perfect reviews all across the board it is just THAT FUN. Go buy it now. Then buy Uncharted 2 and play that as well.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I recently bought Uncharted 1 and 2 and have played through 1 and loved it but I won't get around to the second one just yet but I will pick up 3 once I've started 2!

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the help guys. I was going to wait til around chrissy anyway, so it looks like I'll be picking up a 160gb bundle deal in a few weeks. Cheers!

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
Who here is getting/has got MW3 yet?
I'm keen to get mine this friday when my last HSC exam is over. Looks like they've really changed the game to suit all different types of players.

Add my PSN: DHer_Ryan (yep, its corny as hell hahah!!!!!! )

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keen as to play Uncharted 3 but there's just too much game and not enough time! haha

Forza 4 - BF3- Uncharted 3 in a few weeks span. Fark. Still think Uncharted 2 is the best game I have ever played, and that's a bloody massive list.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Warning: quit-rage ahead..

If I could give a 1 word review of BF3 at the moment it would be FRUSTRATING.
I can see how good this game is but I really struggle to get on a roll in a game. I considered myself pretty damn competent on BC2, but even with all that experience I feel like a total amateur. No doubt about it, you REALLY need a good (and talking) squad to have a shot at playing well, but there seems to be waaayy more time involving in earning new guns?? Coming from hardcore mode on BC2 probably isn't helping either- these chunk of shit guns they give you to start off with feel like they are using rubber bullets! I spawn, scratch my head at where the f#*k I am on some massive new map, then get shot.
I basically bought the game a week of so later than release and I feel like I'm months behind. There needs a few servers for people who aren't weirdo die hard gamers, for people that have relationships, full-time jobs and hobbies..
I'm sticking with engineer, basically just trying to earn more than a pat on the back and get some weapons that I'd rather fire than throw at the enemy. I have 0 enthusiasm even trying to accomplish any points with any other class as the progress with one is bad enough as it is!!
On a positive note, my lack of passion towards BF3 is giving me more enthusiasm towards getting out on the bike!
END RANT

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
If I could give a 1 word review of BF3 at the moment it would be FRUSTRATING.........snip

Starting with iron sights where the majority of people are level 25 already sucks...
Some tips if it helps... not sure if you are already:
Dont quick match - more often than not I end up on an OS server and the lag sucks majorly. Browse and pick an Aussie server
Run and Gun will get you nailed every time.... sit back.. relax, look around and take opportunistic kills until you get a better gun / scope.
If you are spawning and dieing, spawn at your base each time.
Follow your squad mates around... they may not help you, but it halves the chance of you being shot.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Starting with iron sights where the majority of people are level 25 already sucks...
Some tips if it helps... not sure if you are already:
Dont quick match - more often than not I end up on an OS server and the lag sucks majorly. Browse and pick an Aussie server
Run and Gun will get you nailed every time.... sit back.. relax, look around and take opportunistic kills until you get a better gun / scope.
If you are spawning and dieing, spawn at your base each time.
Follow your squad mates around... they may not help you, but it halves the chance of you being shot.
What the freak are you on? I don't get rid of the ironsight until i get a holo. Ironsights are the best. No run and gun? run and gun has the element of surprise, keep moving at all times or your a sitting duck, camp if you want but its just gonna take you longer to rank up and killcam will quickly sort you out. Just bolt from flag to flag capping and kill anyone whose in your way.

And steve-o how about if i sweeten the deal by telling you 1 nade hit and a scout helicopter or humvee/vodnik is gone? its also great for getting ride of those pesky campers and making new doorways.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
What the freak are you on? I don't get rid of the ironsight until i get a holo. Ironsights are the best. No run and gun? run and gun has the element of surprise, keep moving at all times or your a sitting duck, camp if you want but its just gonna take you longer to rank up and killcam will quickly sort you out. Just bolt from flag to flag capping and kill anyone whose in your way.

And steve-o how about if i sweeten the deal by telling you 1 nade hit and a scout helicopter or humvee/vodnik is gone? its also great for getting ride of those pesky campers and making new doorways.
Lol.. SCAR has the worst Iron sight in the game... some are good, some suck.. but for anything other than CQB you will not hit sh!t especially when he already says he is struggling... sheesh
Holo is good, but the scopes avail leading up to that are better than just IS... having shot with IS, Holo, Laser, 3x up to 15x I will say you are having a tug if you reckon IS is better than any of the early scopes both in game and IRL.

Who is talking about Camping ?? Campers deserve knifing... R'n'G aint a good strategy when you are struggling for levels weapons and map knowledge. Works for some, good for you.

Oh.... to the OP.. always lay your mines if you have them. They are a free kill waiting to happen and will get you good points. Lay them in a cluster as a single mine will disable a tank.... 3 in a cluster will kill it and those inside.

Last edited: