Uni life thread

Likes Dirt
Groupwork bullshit strikes again.
Urgh. I hear you. I've just been emailed 9 or 10 pages of copy-pasted, broken english, nonsensical, irrelevant, made-up, completely unformatted horse shit by a group member.
Note it's 4 in the morning, assignment due tomorrow...

One more day and the semester is over...

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
One more day and the semester is over...
Yes, but now the study begins...

I'm glad all my exams are in 2nd week... 2 weeks SWOTVAC woohoo.

For those people having group assign troubles, contact your tutor/course coordinator asap... they can be surprisingly lenient, especially if they know you as an individual who is a high achiever.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok!

Again, some of the marking criteria for assessment pieces is just utter shite.

Essays that require trivial points being introduced, but not counting key concepts that underlie the subject matter as a whole.

Its traffic flow theory and analysis for crying out loud.

Yes, I see I did miss some points (majority I did cover), but look at the other valid points I raised which aren't on your rubric. Seriously, this stuff can never ever be fair (even though I understand they try to be).

This is why I love maths / physics... you're either RIGHT or WRONG.

Gahhhh... *runs off to analyse some beams!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finals time coming up, how's everyone looking?

I'll (hopefully) be back to Australia next year, am thoroughly sick of both my department, and my class.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Finals time coming up, how's everyone looking?
Finals?
First i have a whole heap of other things.

Subject 1
Quiz on Wed (will be very hard, only just started studying today)
Lab next Wed
'Mid sem' in Wed week (yes, a 'midsem', as we don't have a final)
Major assignment in Wed 2 weeks

Subject 2
Lab on Thursday
Hand in (and finish) previous lab on Thur
Lab next Thur
Hand in (and finish) previous lab next Thur
Lab Thur week
Hand in (and finish) previous lab thur week.
Start major assignment for last week
Final exam

Subject 3
Finish previous lab for Mon week
Start assignment due in 2 weeks Friday
Final exam (on a Saturday afternoon :mad2:)

Add on top of that work, and upcoming multiple 21st, you have a recipe for a busy student.
I cant wait to finish for the year (and go back to full-time work)

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh. Your (Aust) semesters must be different to mine.

My finals start this week, and although mine don't finish until the 10th, I've got some mates who will be finished by the 26th. :very_drunk:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
2 take home exams, to be done in a 24 hour window.
Whatthefuckisthisshit?
What are the take home exams like in terms of difficulty? If they are like mini assignments then that is a bitch.

I have 3 exams in a 72 hour window, each one 3 hours long. Would figure all being biology, the faculty could have spaced them out a bit to give students time to do last minute prep/cram. Should be interesting...

Matt H

Eats Squid
Left an essay far too late... contrasting the governments actions in light of the great depression and the 1980's recession. It has to be fully referenced too, and I've yet to have to use proper referncing at uni so far. Due at 9am tomorrow, I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight. Sigh.

I've barely done any essays since highschool - this sucks.

Other than this, though, I'm pretty much assessment free until my first exam on the 7th next month.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SO glad I'm on sessions not semesters. Finished on 2 HD's and 2 D's.
Summer study starts tomorrow, yay for two year degree instead of three!!!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I study at SCU. Most people travel a fair way to study here so we have 5mths a year off... pretty crazy hey? Personally I'd prefer to smash it out as soon as I can!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I had an essay due last monday, which I just handed in today. I sat in front of the computer everyday last week working on it and it's still the biggest load of crap I've ever written. Didn't help that the references we had to use weren't available online and you could only borrow them from the library for 3 hours at a time. To me, that just encourages shit writing because you're forced to read the books and frantically taking down notes or photocopy, then retrospectively try and tie them all together into some coherent argument. Sucks because I was sitting on a HD before today.

Got a linguistics report due tomorrow which I'm working on today. Blackboard or my computer is stuffing up and won't load PDFs, so I'm trying to do it on my phone now. Somehow this week I just completely lost my mojo :rain:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Our math instructors at uni tortured us with math problems that we didn't understand (he spoke in the common language called calculus). It was sorta like English, but with funny grammar and we couldn't relate it algebra with it. It all crapped on us until the end of the semester when more than 80% of enrolled students were close to failing, has withdrawn or is failing altogether. A lot of students were cursing Isaac Newton (or should I say, Sir Isaac Newton)

The engineering department took over the teaching of calculus and like the math instructor, he wasn't using plain English (well the subject was called Calculus). So he decided to explain calculus through a series of laboratory sessions involving geometry. It was simple. Instructions were in English (but calculus was on the side). He made us cut out regular shapes out of colored paper and try to fill a pattern. From the equations that we knew, we tried putting things together in hard numbers and somehow the magic of epiphany worked. And thus, we knew what Integral Calculus and Differential Calculus.

We became so good at Calculus, we used it in almost everything (Chemistry, Solid State Physics, Economics, etc). Everything on earth can be expressed in an equation of calculus. Now we loved Isaac Newton!

Then our instructors said Calculus was good only in Newtonian Physics and because we were engineering majors, it's time to grow up and learn higher level mathematics in which calculus will be insufficient to solve the problems. He also tried to introduce us to quantum mechanics and higher level physics. Then we shat ourselves again and we hated Isaac Newton one more time for making something incomplete.

:embarassed: