Uni life thread

Ivan

Eats Squid
Left an essay far too late... contrasting the governments actions in light of the great depression and the 1980's recession. It has to be fully referenced too, and I've yet to have to use proper referncing at uni so far. Due at 9am tomorrow, I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight. Sigh.
I have used refworks this semester for referencing of journals. It's free, and saved me heaps of time. My lecturer was banana's about having read widely on the subject, so I had to have heaps of references to keep him happy.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The engineering department took over the teaching of calculus and like the math instructor, he wasn't using plain English (well the subject was called Calculus). So he decided to explain calculus through a series of laboratory sessions involving geometry. It was simple. Instructions were in English (but calculus was on the side). He made us cut out regular shapes out of colored paper and try to fill a pattern. From the equations that we knew, we tried putting things together in hard numbers and somehow the magic of epiphany worked. And thus, we knew what Integral Calculus and Differential Calculus.
I think your lucky to have had it explained to you that way. I find that method a much easier way to understand.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Finished just before the deadline this morning. Decided to go have a "quick nap" at around 10 this morning and woke up 20 minutes ago. Any suggestions on how to get to sleep tonight? :mmph:

nskz

Likes Dirt
Taking No-doze to get through Management lectures in schonell. Wasn't worth it, next time I'll just sleep.
I studied engineering and applied the same policy in first year. After that and the utter waste of time that it was, in the following years I just went to the first two lectures and the last one (to find out what was in the exam) and skipped or slept through the rest like a boss; we generally had one unit per year except final year. I don't know about anyone else but I found those lectures to be the epitome of a waste of my HECS dollars, I have great respect (hmm?) for anyone who actually majors in management because holy shit, I'd go mental...not to mention most of it is almost entirely logical/obvious.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished just before the deadline this morning. Decided to go have a "quick nap" at around 10 this morning and woke up 20 minutes ago. Any suggestions on how to get to sleep tonight? :mmph:
Knock back a couple rounds of scotch...?

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
I studied engineering and applied the same policy in first year. After that and the utter waste of time that it was, in the following years I just went to the first two lectures and the last one (to find out what was in the exam) and skipped or slept through the rest like a boss; we generally had one unit per year except final year. I don't know about anyone else but I found those lectures to be the epitome of a waste of my HECS dollars, I have great respect (hmm?) for anyone who actually majors in management because holy shit, I'd go mental...not to mention most of it is almost entirely logical/obvious.
No way am I majoring in management! It's completely ridiculous and utterly pointless I'e decided. Like you said, there are only a handful of points that I didn't think could be garnered from common sense.

No, I'm doing engineering, leaning heavily towards civil.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... leaning heavily towards civil.
Thats ma boi!

LTYH: Formatting a report to the required number of pages, even though the majority of the output/results are vital graphs and tables.

Don't be afraid to tinker with the margins and put the appendix to good use!

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
What the?

What kind of subjects are these take home exams for?
What are the take home exams like in terms of difficulty? If they are like mini assignments then that is a bitch.
Law. Pretty hard, they're problem questions, often hypothetical scenarios.
eg:
"Johnny got caught riding his bicycle with a BAC of .20, and attempted to take a dump on the patrol car when caught by police. What can Johnny do?"

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm finishing up my first year Engineering at QUT at the moment and I've had mixed feelings towards Group work.

My approach towards Group work so far has been to let someone else take group leadership but actually do the work I need to do. So far there's always been 'that guy' who is up for that task (not to say I'm a slacker I'm sitting on a GPA of 6). Currently doing a group assignment which involves building a crane like device and handing in a report on said model. The group Leader has gone ahead and built the thing with little to no input from the group, gave everyone minor parts of the assignment to do and doing the majority of the work himself. Then he complains noone is doing anything. Then there is the one that is due this Friday that we haven't started.

Apart from that I've been loving the 3 day weeks, hanging with my mates in the downtime between lectures/tutes and the bit of extra money I have now that I am working more (compared to at school). In saying that I've been told that first year is a total breeze and I'm in for a rude shock next Semester. Bring it on :)

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats ma boi!

LTYH: Formatting a report to the required number of pages, even though the majority of the output/results are vital graphs and tables.

Don't be afraid to tinker with the margins and put the appendix to good use!
along with 1.4/1.6 line spacing and 11.5/12.5pt font

scuba05

Likes Dirt
"Johnny got caught riding his bicycle with a BAC of .20, and attempted to take a dump on the patrol car when caught by police. What can Johnny do?"
Wipe and say goodnight (or good day if he is hardcore)

I'm finishing up my first year Engineering at QUT at the moment and I've had mixed feelings towards Group work.

My approach towards Group work so far has been to let someone else take group leadership but actually do the work I need to do. So far there's always been 'that guy' who is up for that task (not to say I'm a slacker I'm sitting on a GPA of 6). Currently doing a group assignment which involves building a crane like device and handing in a report on said model. The group Leader has gone ahead and built the thing with little to no input from the group, gave everyone minor parts of the assignment to do and doing the majority of the work himself. Then he complains noone is doing anything. Then there is the one that is due this Friday that we haven't started.

Apart from that I've been loving the 3 day weeks, hanging with my mates in the downtime between lectures/tutes and the bit of extra money I have now that I am working more (compared to at school). In saying that I've been told that first year is a total breeze and I'm in for a rude shock next Semester. Bring it on :)
Wouldn't expect that situation to change across your degree with group work. It never works unless its pairs, and you get along with your partner, and its around 3-4th year.

I would say wait until 3rd year until the going gets tough. That's when you start to see the people who you can do some groupwork with

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done, final assignment of the year!

Good feeling, now to teach myself semester worth of materials for several subjects in a few weeks.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back to school today, and I gotta say I'm remarkably well organised so far :)
Got one unit condensed to a 7 week course, which will only be 5 for me (going overseas for a couple of weeks!)
Tutor today: well this critical reflection is meant to be due week 7... but I'm planning on being in vietnam in 6 weeks so feel free to submit it anytime before week 14 (WIN!!!!!!!!!!)

The other three study guides printed and bound... think I'm good :clap2:

Also got the whole of december free from assessment by a convenient twist of fate :fox:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sound very artsy!
2000 words of 'the value of experiential education in the personal development of participants is amplified by the remote settings....blah blah blah'.
I've worked on two outdoor ed centres, this subject should be pretty damn easy for me....

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
Just Finishing up My 2nd year of construction managemet, in the process of a cadet to i can start earning money being un employed for 2 years has finally drained out my bank out. Heavy days.

Currently at Kings college at UQ brisbane so if any of you blokes need some assignments etc everyone here put there old work up on a server that i could get nearly anything for you hit me up with a PM

Studying at QUT though is pretty Grim at least 4 group worked assignments every semester really not keen on working with people who cant even talk proper english or have no idea on how to write or compile assignments

Robb

Likes Dirt
9 dys before I am finished forever...or until I realise I want to do postgrad.
Me to (well 2.5 weeks + exam), after 7 years of part time uni and work I have received emails saying I'm approved for one degree and conditional on the other to attend the conferring of awards ceremony.

I dont really want to leave though and will be applying to do a masters of quantitative finance at UTS next year.