Highland Fling 2011

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
we'll be swimming a couple of the river crossings like a few years back where they were well above waist deep..... :bounce:
That was the only year I missed racing, but was out taking photos.

If you're name is Big Dog it was only knee deep

Others found it a little deeper....

Last edited:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
2007? That was my first ever mtb race :)
Mine too! Struggled to make the 50km. The weather gods are now smiling again.

Sunday 23 degrees-5% chance of less than 1mm. The Highlands have had a little rain, probably less than 10mm over than last few days which will keep the dust down nicely. Looking good!

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Starting to get pretty pumped for this - the butterflies are already fluttering! This will be my first race so i'm looking forward to it.

No doubt i'll find the mass starts ... interesting. In the rider briefing pack, they seemed pretty strict about starting at the right time based on your self seeding, but with the number of people trying to get across the line at the same time, surely there's going to be some pretty major slippage?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Starting to get pretty pumped for this - the butterflies are already fluttering! This will be my first race so i'm looking forward to it.

No doubt i'll find the mass starts ... interesting. In the rider briefing pack, they seemed pretty strict about starting at the right time based on your self seeding, but with the number of people trying to get across the line at the same time, surely there's going to be some pretty major slippage?

It is a bit chaotic at the start with people sprinting off as quick as they can and jostling for position. But remember its a pretty long race! I know I will be out there for about 6+ hours doing the full fling and I can't sustain a heart rate of 190bpm for that long :)

I did the half fling last year and gained 25 places on the 2nd half of the race....I am guessing those ppl burnt me off at the start but then ran out of juice at the backed of the race.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
In some ways it's not so relevant - the field sorts itself out quickly, especially without the bottlenecks of previous years. Besides, your time starts when you cross the start mat.

I'll be chuffed if I finish in under 8 hours. This is Fling number seven for me: I've only beaten 8 hours once ...

Three sleeps to go!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm firmly in the 'start easy' camp. Seed yourself appropriately then ride of with the mob. Once you get onto the first straight find a rhythm and ride my speed for the whole event. I overtake/get passed as necessary.

Unless you're at the very pointy end there is a long way to go and it's mostly open enough to make your way through the bunch.

Keen as, can't wait etc etc. Weather forecast is lookin great too. My second full fling hoping for around 7:30, but probably underprepared again!

frensham

Likes Dirt
Yep, weather is looking much better. 23 deg is way cooler than last year and lets hope the humidity is less. The Wingello section soaks up water like a sponge so it should be just fine and less dusty than normal. Watch out for some of those sandy bits though.
Going for a cruise this year so under 9 will do me fine. Must remember to keep more in reserve for the last 15km than I did last year - there is some beautiful single track on this section and I intend to have the energy to enjoy it. I'm also hoping the GU station is at the half way mark again at the top of that hill - what a bloody lifesaver that was! I still remember the looks on the faces of all those riders when I announced we were only half way....... It will be another great day, bring it on!

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Did the Half Fling. Good race, very well organised. No idea why they don't just make it a 50k race and cut out a section of fire trial. The first 25k was pretty boring fire trails. The last half much better. I would have rathered two laps of that.

Very well organised race though. Great atmosphere (as usual at MTB races).

the mirror, what a crack up.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I didn't even notice the mirror.

Gee the times were fast today - I thought I was going ok but seems everyone else got faster as well!

I think props have to go to Wild Horizons for turning The Fling into an event rather than just a race. The themes, community involvement, event centre and all the other 'extras' all add up to give it such a great vibe.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
great event once again....number 7 for me...... :bounce:

cannot understand how so many people feel the need to drop their gel wrappers FFS people, its state forrest, and private property, how hard is it to stick it in your pocket....shame , shame , shame...

well done to all the organisers for great weekend.... :)

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
great event once again....number 7 for me...... :bounce:

cannot understand how so many people feel the need to drop their gel wrappers FFS people, its state forrest, and private property, how hard is it to stick it in your pocket....shame , shame , shame...

well done to all the organisers for great weekend.... :)
compared to a fun run or triathlon the number of gel wrappers was extremely small. Those two take the cake for dirt bag litterers.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I've never seen anyone intentionally drop one - have seen the odd wrapper come out of a pocket and flutter away when reaching in for another gel/bar though.

I reckon I saw more bottles that had escaped than food wrappers today though.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Did the Half Fling. Good race, very well organised. No idea why they don't just make it a 50k race and cut out a section of fire trial. The first 25k was pretty boring fire trails. The last half much better. I would have rathered two laps of that.
Because then riders would be complaining about traffic jams. Firetrail is a necessary evil sometimes. Full Fling times were much quicker than last year. A lot of people seemed to have bettered their best times by 30minutes. The time gain seemed to be in the Wingello loop. I am thinking some hill climbing was cut after the longest climb on the traditional yellow loop.

As has been said, the event is one of the best organised on the calendar. The mirror was freaky as was the drumming in the middle of nowhere. For those that don't do the Dash, have a crack at it. Its great fun! A fantastic weekend of cycling!

Last edited:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Well, first moutain bike event completed and i had a great time! I only entered the half fling, and it was probably enough for me. I started to cramp up with about 10kms to go which was ... frustrating, and it made part of the single track rather interesting! I'm still not entirely sure why it happened either - i had plenty of water, and was keeping the energy levels up with gels etc. I suspect my legs were just not used to riding that distance at that pace (although i was conserving energy for most of it) - blah, lesson learned

I found everyone on the track to be really friendly as well - even when the elite (?) full flingers were passing me on the single track. I was also surprised by some of the bottle necks - one took about 15-20 minutes to cross (about 10kms in i think? it's a little blurry, but a left hand turn into the crossing with some single track + step up straight after).

I'll certainly aim to be back next year - especially given that i'm sure i can beat my time!

Now to find my next event in ~late feb/early march.. i'm hooked methinks

Now to find my next event in ~late feb/early march.. i'm hooked methinks
My first too and thoroughly hooked, signed up for Capital Punishment this morning

I wasnt expecting it to be so tough, I didnt do a lot of training off road and that was my downfall especially on the hills which make any hill I have riden on road very easy. At least my technical riding was OK, I did notice some people walking these sections which is a shame for them because some of them blasted past me on the hills afterwards.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
... A lot of people seemed to have bettered their best times by 30minutes ...
The report on full fling time over last year will be interesting. I improved by 100 minutes (I was *very* slow last year and much fitter this time round). The course after Halfway Hill definitely changed - I thought it was even longer with the KOM/QOM section. From memory, we didn't ride The Kick from previous years.

Rollercoaster got me - there are some steep pinches there which is the last thing you want to attempt after 90 or so clicks.

As always, a great event. There's lots to like about the atmosphere, the community involvement, the respect between riders. Will be back for number 8 next year.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
great fun... and a very well run event

good weather and awesome trails. some of the single track in wingello is some of the best around for flow. heaps of fun to ride.
shame we have to ride jack's jaunt uphill... would be a fun downhill trail. maybe the organisers could look at reversing the first and third stages?

hoped to beat 7 hours this year and just missed out at 7:09... next year hopefully

thanks to the organisers and to the dark side dudes and rfs for a great weekend