Highland Fling 2011

Zenith

Likes Bikes
My First Fling, well i only did the Half Fling, but damn it was a hard ride.. i need a lot more training..

The guys from Wild Horizons do a great job organising events, and a thanks to the great job to the Fire Fighters and voluteers out manning mashal points.

My legs started to cramp up about the 35Klm mark and that hurt.. so by the time i got to the good single track i was so warn out i couldnt attack it fast. especially the up hill parts with cramped legs. so i had to walk parts. :(

But i do have 2 things that were a pain in the back side..

1, who puts an up hill grass path for the last klm to the finish line.. damn that was a hard finish.. i nearly fell off the bike when they went to cut the transponder off.

2, I hate sand.... i nearly had 2 offs and both were in the sand..

apart from that it was a great race.. Bring on next year, I have to try and crack the 4 hour mark :) :) or maybe try the full fling if i get a bit fitter.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
Did anyone else notice that the 1km to go marker was actually 1.5km out. I wanted to finish quickly when everyone was watching and almost died trying to hold out for the end.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Did anyone else notice that the 1km to go marker was actually 1.5km out. I wanted to finish quickly when everyone was watching and almost died trying to hold out for the end.

Number one rule of the fling...dont trust the distance markers...or the quoted distances till after the event.... :gossip:

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
I don't think any of the signs are accurate or intended to be. More of a guide perhaps.

Because then riders would be complaining about traffic jams. Firetrail is a necessary evil sometimes. !
Ah yes, of course....

The river crossings caused a bit of a traffic jam, especially the further back you were.

Starting to plan next years trip.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
awesome day and awesome race. My first full fling (after 2 half flings) and was stoked. Aim was to break 6 hours and missed it by 4 mins - oh well, guess it means I have to go back and try it next year :p

Was incredible to watch those elite guys go past - Dylan Cooper and James Downing passed me just after the Shimano food station - it was like blink and you miss them - holy crap they were flying up those hills.

Also saw Jenny Fay go past me like I was standing still on a fireroad section. A few minutes later Peta Mullens and Becky Mates went by, and through sheer luck I was able to sit on their wheel for a few kms. I think they were looking at each other thinking "who is this guy", but after slogging my guts out at the front of one group (where noone was prepared to work for more then 15 seconds), I felt I deserved to be a wheel sucker for a few minutes! It was nice to get the breath back and see how quick those elites are.

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
awesome day and awesome race. My first full fling (after 2 half flings) and was stoked. Aim was to break 6 hours and missed it by 4 mins - oh well, guess it means I have to go back and try it next year :p

Was incredible to watch those elite guys go past - Dylan Cooper and James Downing passed me just after the Shimano food station - it was like blink and you miss them - holy crap they were flying up those hills.

Also saw Jenny Fay go past me like I was standing still on a fireroad section. A few minutes later Peta Mullens and Becky Mates went by, and through sheer luck I was able to sit on their wheel for a few kms. I think they were looking at each other thinking "who is this guy", but after slogging my guts out at the front of one group (where noone was prepared to work for more then 15 seconds), I felt I deserved to be a wheel sucker for a few minutes! It was nice to get the breath back and see how quick those elites are.
You're Victorian aren't you? If so have you done Otway Odyssey? How does the fling compare? I have done OO and Capital Punishment, but never the fling or Angry Doctor. Capital Punishment is a lot easier than OO. I was more than 3 hours quicker at capital punishment than otway.

So what is Australia's toughest 100km mtb race?

Rambler

Likes Dirt
You're Victorian aren't you? If so have you done Otway Odyssey? How does the fling compare? I have done OO and Capital Punishment, but never the fling or Angry Doctor. Capital Punishment is a lot easier than OO. I was more than 3 hours quicker at capital punishment than otway.

Have completed a blog on that topic not long ago.

http://www.mattnash.com.au/blog/2011/10/100km-mtb-races/

I have done 9 marathons all up in Victoria and NSW. The hardest for me was last year's Odyssey. The best singletrack was the Odyssey. However, as far as organisation and an event weekend, nothing comes close to the Fling from my perspective. It's also a very tough race which riders seem to underestimate.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
harder race?

Have completed a blog on that topic not long ago.

http://www.mattnash.com.au/blog/2011/10/100km-mtb-races/

I have done 9 marathons all up in Victoria and NSW. The hardest for me was last year's Odyssey. The best singletrack was the Odyssey. However, as far as organisation and an event weekend, nothing comes close to the Fling from my perspective. It's also a very tough race which riders seem to underestimate.

You seem to be missing one 100km race. It is probably the hardest technical riding 100km and would have some of the most challenging trails. It is a bit too advanced for the punter mt bike riders. GMBC stopped advertising it in magazines because you need to be a good club level rider to race over the trails.
the hills are not as long as the 00 but there are rock gardens a wall ride rocky decents all to keep you on your toes.

Hope you can make it down next year.

Here is a link others on this forum can comment

http://www.gmbc.com.au/yowie/yowie.html

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
cleeshoy;2462752(where noone was prepared to work for more then 15 seconds)[/QUOTE said:
I had a bit of the same experience, well... I was lucky if I got a 5 second turn up front. Leading in to Wingello Oval I was on my own for 1/3 of a way until a train caught me and decided to stick on my wheel until the oval. I kept looking behind at the group, giving the elbow a bit of a flick... but all requests were ignored. So I went through transition and chucked a left (I did the 56km). One guy stuck with me and stuck on my wheel until the water crossing. This annoyed me a bit.

Anyway, I had an awesome race. My main goal was to beat my time last year, which I did by 15 minutes coming in at 2 hours 45 min.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

hey mate - yup been in Melbourne for the past 3 years, but haven't actually done the OO before (first one will be 2012)- been overseas at the time of the race. Given I have not done the OO before I can't compare it the Fling. I can say the Fling is tougher then the Back Yamma Bigfoot!

From all reports the OO seems to be an even tougher event. I have only signed up for the OO 50 - "ease" myself into it :)

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
hey mate - yup been in Melbourne for the past 3 years, but haven't actually done the OO before (first one will be 2012)- been overseas at the time of the race. Given I have not done the OO before I can't compare it the Fling. I can say the Fling is tougher then the Back Yamma Bigfoot!

From all reports the OO seems to be an even tougher event. I have only signed up for the OO 50 - "ease" myself into it :)
The fling is far easier than the OO, less single track, more fast fireroad, less technical stuff to scare of the roadies. Just look at the times. I think my fling time was 30mins quicker than my OO time.

Clown Face

Cannon Fodder
First ever Fling and second ever 100k event after doing Dirt Works in May. Yet to beat 8 hours but only got lack of training to blame for that. Thought having the elite guys starting after the weekend warriors might have been a problem. Pleasantly surprised by their attitude, had one 100 miler give a polite "beep beep" on some single track and a thank you. Jason English also gave some nice words of encouragement as he went past in a blur.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A fantastic event. I'll be back next year, with kids in tow as they'll both be old enough for the kids fling.

I was a smidge annoyed that the first wave of elites caught me on the first bit of single track, but plenty of non-elites called 'riders' so we had a good chance to get out of the way, poor girl in front of me pulled off on the low side and fell into the bushes, couple of the elites called 'are you ok' as they hammered past too and most said thanks when I let them past. Overall I think the head start is a good thing for jow average.

Only a little traffic at the early bath. It was a pleasant surprise and the pack had thinned enough for me at the good single that it left me with very little traffic to disrupt the flow.

Took 30min off, finished strongly (for me) at 7:19 and had significantly less cramping this year. The extra kms of riding leading up must have helped.

Mal Rob

Squid
tough riders

I came over with two friends from Adelaide for this event and am amazed at how much faster category winners (and everyone else?!) rode this year compared to 2010. I saw lots of tough riders out there, but really admire the singlespeeders and cyclocross entrants. Can someone tell me what your bike spec had to be if you wanted to enter the cyclocross category? Is this spec standard for all events or do different organisers have different rules?

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I came over with two friends from Adelaide for this event and am amazed at how much faster category winners (and everyone else?!) rode this year compared to 2010. I saw lots of tough riders out there, but really admire the singlespeeders and cyclocross entrants. Can someone tell me what your bike spec had to be if you wanted to enter the cyclocross category? Is this spec standard for all events or do different organisers have different rules?
Its actually a good question... for starters I think the fling is the only Marathon that has a specific 'cross category (although people can and do race cross in other events). There doesn't seem to be a spec on wild horizon's website for what constitutes a cross bike though... the UCI has guidelines though - pretty much 33mm (tubular) or 35mm (clincher) tyre size on 700c wheels and drop bars. There used to be a restriction against disks but they're allowed as of this season (or maybe even last season?).

I think they're pretty relaxed as to what constitutes a cross bike at most enduros though - skinny tyres is probably the key determinant - for instance a Fargo with drop bars is not Cyclocross (although it could be Monstercross.... mmmm Monstercross).

This year I ran a Ellsworth Roots with Racing Ralph 700*35's on Stans road rims with a 1*10 set up with 42t up front and 11-36 out back. Sram Rival (road) shifters and a SRAM XX rear derailleur. Was wishin I has opted for something smaller up front but pretty much rode everything (including left at your call).

Bit of a PITA in anything a bit rocky but man oh man does it fly on the smoother fireroad :)

Mal Rob

Squid
thanks for the explanation Pizzaz. I assume that no suspension is also a criteria? Well done to you and the others for getting around that course on those bikes. Always good to see riders looking for ways to make a hard race even harder.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
thanks for the explanation Pizzaz. I assume that no suspension is also a criteria? Well done to you and the others for getting around that course on those bikes. Always good to see riders looking for ways to make a hard race even harder.
like the guy who must have left a wheel at home and did it on one wheel instead :):):):)

Its actually a good question... for starters I think the fling is the only Marathon that has a specific 'cross category (although people can and do race cross in other events). There doesn't seem to be a spec on wild horizon's website for what constitutes a cross bike though... the UCI has guidelines though - pretty much 33mm (tubular) or 35mm (clincher) tyre size on 700c wheels and drop bars. There used to be a restriction against disks but they're allowed as of this season (or maybe even last season?).

I think they're pretty relaxed as to what constitutes a cross bike at most enduros though - skinny tyres is probably the key determinant - for instance a Fargo with drop bars is not Cyclocross (although it could be Monstercross.... mmmm Monstercross).

This year I ran a Ellsworth Roots with Racing Ralph 700*35's on Stans road rims with a 1*10 set up with 42t up front and 11-36 out back. Sram Rival (road) shifters and a SRAM XX rear derailleur. Was wishin I has opted for something smaller up front but pretty much rode everything (including left at your call).

Bit of a PITA in anything a bit rocky but man oh man does it fly on the smoother fireroad :)
Ah, the battle of the 35c skinny tyre Vs sandstone.
Everything didn't get ridden as I was running SS CX (38/18).
Two tubeless blowouts, two dead 700c tubes with stans goop all over the place.
I was hoping that the Alchemist was behind me somewhere so I could borrow another skinny tube. Walked for a couple of kms in the heat of the red loop somewhere, with a flat rear tyre and my tube stash depleted.
At least the march flies had a nice feast on me.
Ended up finishing with two 26" tubes from rider #607 (thanks Mark).
My pump certainly earned it's keep in this race.
Long, long day.