VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Anyone keen to set up a "training log" for this event through this thread? Say like weekly updates to compare volumes of training required for the OO, intensity, efforts, duration, terrain etc?
Also a dark sided question, does anyone use alternate roadie (cough) training as a means of simply turning legs over, bum in seat time etc. Would be interested in peoples thoughs?
Cheers.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Anyone keen to set up a "training log" for this event through this thread? Say like weekly updates to compare volumes of training required for the OO, intensity, efforts, duration, terrain etc?
Also a dark sided question, does anyone use alternate roadie (cough) training as a means of simply turning legs over, bum in seat time etc. Would be interested in peoples thoughs?
Cheers.
Last year SWMBO did repeats of the Busty Road climb as a large part of her training.

Alternating between road and MTB for the climb, (out-of-saddle v's low gear spin)

If she felt good on the MTB, the ride would continue up Wild Dog Road to Tanybryn.

Hope this helps

Roland

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers.
1. Yes, that would be a great idea! Maybe a new thread where everyone can post their weekly rides on a Monday?

2. Most of my riding at the moment is on the roadie. Spring means my local trails are wet and overgrown. There's some challenging roads to climb near my neck of the woods.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers.
yes been thinking about this ... was going to start a blog like Bodin did last year (always good to read what others are doing), my plan is to start specific OO training after the Garmin 24 hr weekend - coming off a good aerobic base, it's going to be specific hill/interval work on the mtb - the challenge for me is to get the mix right between recovery and intensity.

The roadie has got to be good for endurance aerobic training - so I will be doing more gentle ks on roadie and more higher intensity on mtb. Like the idea of specificity and like riding my mtb, I'm confident I can get the balance right and enjoy training off road.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Cheers.
Hell yes, we usually do at least 1 road ride a week (should actually do more I reckon) to get miles in the legs.....less taxing on my old body and bones as well! If I did all my training off road on the mtb, I would quite literally fall apart.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
The rodie aaction I figured would form part of the "off mtb" training that would help build stamina via increased amounts of saddle time and cadence as mentoned ^^^ in combination with light running and some strength/endurance lifting etc. I live in Rosanna so jumping on the rodie (and dressing up in snooty lycra) and hitting up KL, KG, St A, Flowerdale etc is easy from home and have multiple loops of 150km plus that can be done with plenty of hills etc.
Add in the endless km's of fire trails out at Xmas Hills, Smiths, Panton Hill, Straths etc on the mtb to replicate grinding OO conditions and couple of weekly track seshz at DISC with Perko for interval/sprints and i have a game plan?
I smashed my ribs up a ripper three weeks ago at YY and hope to be back training later next week minus Garmin 24 now. Grrrr.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
mine is nearly all on the road bike with a few 2hr mtb races every 2-3 weeks, have got a nice 140k charity ride this sunday.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weekly Training Log Template (Suggestion)

What do you guys think of this:

Week Ending: 20/11/2011
Total Kms: 250
Total Cycling Hours: 10
Total Elevation: 4000
No of Rides: 5
Strength/Core Sessions: 2
Cross Training: N/A
Comments: Test Comment

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Looks good - only suggestion is you could break down the cycling hours and kms into "off road" and "road" - not sure if that would mean going into too much detail though?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt

yeah great, can we add yes off-road/road & location or location and other details will probably come out in comments. cheers.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Something like...

Total Road Kms: 250
Total Road Hours: 10
Total Road Elevation: 4000
No of Road Rides: 5

Total Off-Road Kms: 50
Total Off-Road Hours: 5
Total Off-Road Elevation: 400
No of Off-Road Rides: 1

"Road" = using road bike
"Off-Road" = using mountain bike

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could do that using my Garmin C, as when i upload a ride I can specify whether it was MTB or not.

It might be a problem for the riders that don't have a Garmin Connect type facility to tally their rides up like that.

Cheers :) J

Something like...

Total Road Kms: 250
Total Road Hours: 10
Total Road Elevation: 4000
No of Road Rides: 5

Total Off-Road Kms: 50
Total Off-Road Hours: 5
Total Off-Road Elevation: 400
No of Off-Road Rides: 1

"Road" = using road bike
"Off-Road" = using mountain bike

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I could do that using my Garmin C, as when i upload a ride I can specify whether it was MTB or not.

It might be a problem for the riders that don't have a Garmin Connect type facility to tally their rides up like that.

Cheers :) J
Very good point Jim. I think the Garmin has spoilt me also :p
Generally the simplest solution is the best solution (I am a simple kinda guy!) so I am happy to go along with whatever is the "standard"

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode tuesday. 25kms & 3hrs or thereabouts. Dunno the elevation but a fair bit of climbing.

I generally don't do road rides.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode tuesday. 25kms & 3hrs or thereabouts. Dunno the elevation but a fair bit of climbing.

I generally don't do road rides.
25km covered over 3 hours must've included a sh&*load of climbing Steve. :)

Get in touch with your inner geek; tally your mileage and elevation every week. This will keep you motivated. :)

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Strava

Get on Strava.com

Best training and motivational site in town.

It's free. Get on, upload a few files and check it out

delbified

Likes Bikes
i'm aiming for the OO100 this year and am also training for the ACE250. so if all goes well, i'll be the guy showing most of you a clean pair of heels on the way up, then holding you all up and wobbling down the hills at walking pace with the rear locked up :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all, here's my stats for week, next week will be an easy one as I have Garmin 24 hr on weekend.

Week Ending:20/11/2011
Distance Entered:158
Finish Time Goal (dry weather):6:59:59

Total Road Kms:66
Total Road Hours:2:39
Total Road Elevation:955m
No of Road Rides:1

Total Off-Road Kms:92
Total Off-Road Hours:4:31
Total Off-Road Elevation:945
No of Off-Road Rides:3

Strength/Core Sessions:1
Cross Training:no
Comments:did Boulie ride this morning rest are YTs commutes, felt tired this week so backed off on pace.
Current Weight:82kg
TSS for week:1900

Last edited: