VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Entries are open, get them while they're hot!

The OO is the center of my cycling universe, and this year I have unfinished business.

Happy training! See you all at Apollo Bay.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
entered, now 4 requests from mtb gods;

1. no rain, clay, mud and whatever crap stopped my wheels from turning last year.
2. get to top of first climb in 30 minutes,
3. clear run down red carpet,
4. this message is to my legs .... may you go like hell from 67k mark and bring home a good time for me.

icemansam

Cannon Fodder
Message from Rapid Ascent: we are aware that a few people are unfortunately experiencing issues trying to enter the Kona Odyssey and for this we apologise.

After testing the entry system for 2 days we e-mailed everyone when we thought it was right but somehow an error has gotten into it.

We are repairing the error right now and so far think it is limited to people who enter using Internet Explorer. Try entering it on Google Chrome or Firefox and it seems works fine (go figure!?)

If you have issues then please give us a call on (03) 5261 5511 and we’ll put your entry in over the there and then (it takes about 3 minutes and you get to chat to the lovely Bridget or Claire!). Either that or e-mail info@rapidascent.com.au us your problem and help us find the issue and then we’ll get back to you when it is fixed for sure.

Thanks for your understanding, but unfortunately nobody’s perfect.

Sam Maffett
Rapid Ascent General Manager

uphill

Squid
I'm in, it took a 4 attempts but got there eventually. This will be my first Odyssey being from Sydney but look forward to it after hearing so much about it for the last couple of years. Now I just need to sort out the logistics of where to stay. Do most people stay in Forrest and do the shuttle bus thing to the start in the morning or the other way round?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
entered, now 4 requests from mtb gods;

1. no rain, clay, mud and whatever crap stopped my wheels from turning last year.
2. get to top of first climb in 30 minutes,
3. clear run down red carpet,
4. this message is to my legs .... may you go like hell from 67k mark and bring home a good time for me.
Nice post bro! Can I add:

5. No cramps on the last fireroad climb.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Nice post bro! Can I add:

5. No cramps on the last fireroad climb.
And can I add,

6. No naked guy doing the last loop up Britney's Meltdown and Sledgehammer. Last thing I want to see after slugging it out for 90km is someones crack up the climb with not enough energy to get past him!!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wish list for the mtb gods...

7. Good night's sleep the night before
8. Energy to push 33:17 up the first climb without blowing up
9. No injuries for anyone
10. Bottomless water bottle
11. Bottomless gel bottle
12. I'll second the no cramps but extend it for the whole race
13. No mechanicals for anyone

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My wish list for the mtb gods...

7. Good night's sleep the night before
8. Energy to push 33:17 up the first climb without blowing up
9. No injuries for anyone
10. Bottomless water bottle
11. Bottomless gel bottle
12. I'll second the no cramps but extend it for the whole race
13. No mechanicals for anyone
Nice!!!

Based on last year's experience, and really an extention of 7.

14. No stomach viruses flooring anyone the night before the race, forcing you to watch the race start from your balcony and reflect on all the wasted training and early morning starts. Even worse, your wife catches you tearing up and gives you the whole, "it's just a bike race" spiel. ** shudders **

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Nice!!!

14. No stomach viruses flooring anyone the night before the race, forcing you to watch the race start from your balcony and reflect on all the wasted training and early morning starts. Even worse, your wife catches you tearing up and gives you the whole, "it's just a bike race" spiel. ** shudders **
Just tell the wife the tears were from the onions you were cutting up as part of your race nutrition :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just tell the wife the tears were from the onions you were cutting up as part of your race nutrition :)
:) Or from her breathtaking beauty as the rays of the morning sun were giving her an angelic aura... Yeah, that would've gone down well...

Seriously, the start of the race was magnificent to watch. I'll never forget the image of all these passionate riders taking off, against the backdrop of the ocean. That'll stay with me.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice!!!

going to keep out of your way that's 2 years of OO training that's going to be unleashed on us.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
going to keep out of your way that's 2 years of OO training that's going to be unleashed on us.
I was aiming for a 6:30 last year, and trained accordingly (heaps). Not sure I'll be that driven in 2012, high expectations didn't really work out that well for me...