The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

bushrangermtb

Likes Bikes
speacy

nice..

still after one of these one day in a 19

Here are a couple of pics of my commuter-fied '94 FSR...I'm not sure if many of these ever turned up in Australia. It's still a nice thing to ride. The spec's a mix of XT, XTR and LX. To get it rolling again I had to find another front wheel; the original I had built back in the day was a Ringle Superbubba hub on a Mavic SUP rim - but the flange on the hub shattered during storage...pretty crazy. I also had to find a new rear shock as years ago I cracked the stanchion tube on the original Fox ALPS air shock...I found a Cane Creek Cloud 9 on good ol'e fleabay.

bushrangermtb

Likes Bikes
garage queen

garage queen... ha... love it

M900 hubs are what you are after. They are an awesome hub and last forever. As for rims, a simple solution is new silver mavic rims with the stickers removed. If its a garage queen and you are after period correct rims then NOS Mavics etc can be found at a price.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice..

still after one of these one day in a 19
I have one you can have for nix. Pretty sure it's a 19". I'll measure & advise:

The good: It's a first gen ('94?) in green, a bit of bark off but bushes etc in good nick. I'll chuck in the Futureshock it came with (ugly but functional, last time I looked...)
The bad: The Alps 4 was split (like most of them) so it needs a ~150mm e-e shock.

bushrangermtb

Likes Bikes
specialized

:single_eye: cool

I have one you can have for nix. Pretty sure it's a 19". I'll measure & advise:

The good: It's a first gen ('94?) in green, a bit of bark off but bushes etc in good nick. I'll chuck in the Futureshock it came with (ugly but functional, last time I looked...)
The bad: The Alps 4 was split (like most of them) so it needs a ~150mm e-e shock.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'90 Klein Attitude

Happy New Year All.

I finished the Attitude resto yesterday. It's been quite a process... Very happy with the result.

Last edited:

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To my amazement yesterday, while in Sydney City (world square abouts) someone had an old Barracuda chained to a pole. Pretty beat up but i remember seeing a couple of these with a pretty decent spec when they came out.. Should have given him $20 for it haha
Pic isn't actual one i saw but same type/colour etc..
3170514988_5fc9088721.jpg

bushrangermtb

Likes Bikes
I seen a Ritchey p-20 just leaning on a pole on the beach in Hawaii when I was there once... I thought... I'm leaving the country... no one would know.... except the owner....

couldn't bring myself to it though....

damn it

To my amazement yesterday, while in Sydney City (world square abouts) someone had an old Barracuda chained to a pole. Pretty beat up but i remember seeing a couple of these with a pretty decent spec when they came out.. Should have given him $20 for it haha
Pic isn't actual one i saw but same type/colour etc..
View attachment 220902

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
/\
II

Dude, i'm keen on all of it! S*#t, I bid on a couple of them! I was bummed about finishing the Attitude as I didn't have any more projects on the go.

I'll send you an email...

Last edited:

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Mongoose IBOC double downtube CF

OK, having spent this lovely morning trawling through the archivesw of this thread in fascination, I see there are many people out there who would be a darn sight better equipped than I in returning an old IBOC I have to its former glory. I will dig it out and attach some pics, but beforehand, it looks a lot like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-IB...9988508?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3f0b26239c

Except it's frame-only. Oh, it does come with a square-taper BB that I can't extract - it works, but needs replacement. There are tiny cracks under the head-tube junction, which is why I stopped riding it. The other reason I stopped riding it is that it's a small size, and I'm 6'4" - so it never did fit - but it was always fun, light and fast. I have kept it because I though doing it up as a retro show-piece would be nice, but even then I don't think the fiance wants it hung in the house. She doesn't like that kind of decor.

I am led to believe that the CF could be repaired, if that's even necessary, depending on intended use. I also have a quite old XTR rear mech that came on it, but unfortunately the old HS-22 brakes are long-since sold. There are many other bits and pieces I have never got around to throwing out, that someone here may find useful. I will get to photographing today.

Any interest? PM me - of course I will post pics first.

Cheers,
Emerson

emerthis

Likes Dirt
OK, having spent this lovely morning trawling through the archivesw of this thread in fascination, I see there are many people out there who would be a darn sight better equipped than I in returning an old IBOC I have to its former glory. I will dig it out and attach some pics, but beforehand, it looks a lot like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mongoose-IB...9988508?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3f0b26239c

Except it's frame-only. Oh, it does come with a square-taper BB that I can't extract - it works, but needs replacement. There are tiny cracks under the head-tube junction, which is why I stopped riding it. The other reason I stopped riding it is that it's a small size, and I'm 6'4" - so it never did fit - but it was always fun, light and fast. I have kept it because I though doing it up as a retro show-piece would be nice, but even then I don't think the fiance wants it hung in the house. She doesn't like that kind of decor.

I am led to believe that the CF could be repaired, if that's even necessary, depending on intended use. I also have a quite old XTR rear mech that came on it, but unfortunately the old HS-22 brakes are long-since sold. There are many other bits and pieces I have never got around to throwing out, that someone here may find useful. I will get to photographing today.

Any interest? PM me - of course I will post pics first.

Cheers,
Emerson
OK, some pics:
PICT0011.JPGPICT0014.JPGPICT0017.JPGPICT0013.JPGPICT0007.JPGPICT0012.JPGPICT0015.JPGPICT0008.JPGPICT0010.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0016.JPGPICT0006.JPGPICT0009.JPG

And then there are these bits and pieces, free to any home that wants them:
PICT0045.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0046.JPGPICT0042.JPGPICT0049.JPGPICT0002.JPGPICT0043.JPGPICT0001.JPGPICT0003.JPGPICT0048.JPGPICT0047.JPG

And finally, while I was under the house, I stumbled across this. My first 'proper' MTB, after a Giant Warp. Has been disassembled for several years now, as the rear air shock just had too much abuse and gave up completely. If I can find a rear shock to suit, I may assemble and ride it - but more likely just sell it on. If anyone's interested, let me know:
PICT0025.JPGPICT0020.JPGPICT0028.JPGPICT0027.JPGPICT0022.JPGPICT0021.JPGPICT0024.JPGPICT0036.JPGPICT0019.JPGPICT0023.JPGPICT0030.JPGPICT0037.JPGPICT0018.JPGPICT0029.JPGPICT0031.JPGPICT0038.JPGPICT0040.JPGPICT0041.JPGPICT0032.JPGPICT0034.JPGPICT0026.JPGPICT0033.JPGPICT0035.JPG

floody

Wheel size expert
Happy New Year All.

I finished the Attitude resto yesterday. It's been quite a process... Very happy with the result.
...And quite happy you should be! Sensational.

BTW, Hit me up if bushranger doesn't want that FSR, cawr!cawr!

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
IMG_0521.jpg
My Beach bike. Inherited from my brother in law, complete with elliptical chain rings.
Still have the original flat bat. Gets riden daily around the block with my son on the back.
Bottom Bracket is getting to the end of its life, can anyone here suggest where to find a replacement? Ditto shifter and front mech?

floody

Wheel size expert
Pretty much any derailleur and shifter will work for the front, just buy some cheapy SIS ones or something.

Put a cheap (like $30) cartridge BB in and it will probably outlast the usefulness of the bike.