The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

DirtDiggler

Likes Bikes
1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Here are a couple of pics of my commuter-fied '94 FSR...I'm not sure if many of these ever turned up in Australia. It's still a nice thing to ride. The spec's a mix of XT, XTR and LX. To get it rolling again I had to find another front wheel; the original I had built back in the day was a Ringle Superbubba hub on a Mavic SUP rim - but the flange on the hub shattered during storage...pretty crazy. I also had to find a new rear shock as years ago I cracked the stanchion tube on the original Fox ALPS air shock...I found a Cane Creek Cloud 9 on good ol'e fleabay.

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
I am not really a fan of the rear brace but the flex the Maggys pump through the seatstays is crazy!

Hows the ibis coming on mate? I really should start cracking on with my Shockwave, just looking at some alternative finishing for the frame, Digital Veneer, airbrushing, vinyl wrapping, anodising.... the options are crazy!

bmar560

Likes Dirt
1999 Trek 930 my first Mtb. The only thing thats stock is the steel frame, rear-d , cassette and shifters. Thomson seatpost, chris king headset and the first edition rock shox Psylo

Rode 2 24hr races back in 2001 and 2002 on it ,broke my left forearm on it and plenty of battle scars.
Thinkin of changing it to SS or should I upgrade the drivetrain ?? What would it cost to get a decent 2nd hand 9 speed drivetrain ? And will my 8speed hub and frame fit 9 speed ?

It weighs more or less the same as my '11 anthem X2.

Getting back into the sport last month after a longgggg break :)

Attachments

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought i'd post up some pics of my Funk Pro Comp with Spin composite wheels very kindly supplied by Spanky_Ham:

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:)

made the pig happy them pics did, thanks Arran. Now, flex my ex beauties... flex away

S
Hahaha... I rode them on smooth concrete & pissed myself laughing. It was like riding one of those 'funny-bikes' with wheels built off centre... or like riding on corrugations. They're horizontally/laterally very good but vertically between 'spokes'... Damn! Very funny.

I'm contemplating 'de-rivetizing' the rims (don't worry if the 'jargon' is beyond you. Not many posess my degree of verbacalitation...), smacking them back into shape & re-installing. That would (obviously) put them at risk of being permanently poked so i'm going to do some reaearch online & see if anyone's documented a successful resto... Wish me luck...

donny70

Likes Dirt
I can't start my szazbo till the new year as half the parts are overseas either with my parents or my brother.

Anyway I need my money for booze this Christmas...

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't start my szazbo till the new year as half the parts are overseas either with my parents or my brother.

Anyway I need my money for booze this Christmas...
That must be a bit frustrating. What's the uild going to consist of? Or is that a secret??... :tape: