The stupid questions thread.

My stupid question

Many moons ago while riding my Hot Foot BMX with bright yellow tuffs, my chain snapped while riding up a hill.
I was standing up giving it my all when on the down stroke with right foot.... PING....there she blows, right knee hits goose neck with full force, knee splits open, a long walk home then off to hospital.

I am now somewhat older, stronger and much heavier.

My stupid questions are.

1-How often should I replace my chain?
2-How do I identify wear and tear?
3-Should I replace the front & rear sprockets when the chain gets replaced or do they last much longer?
4-Can chains be purchased in different quality/strengths?

Bike is Giant Talon 29er if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance.

moto_guy

Banned
3-Should I replace the front & rear sprockets when the chain gets replaced or do they last much longer?
1- Depends on alot of things like how often you ride in the rain and how often you lube your chain.
2- A good bike shop will sell a chain wear indicator that will show you how much your chain has stretched.
3- It is recommend that you replace the rear set of sprockets when replacing the chain. Due to the wear on the cogs when the chain stretches. Replace the front cogs every 2nd time you do the rear cassette.
4- With mountain bike chains they are all about the same strength( I have heard it takes 1 ton of pulling force to break one) Quality will go up with how much your spend on your chain.

1- Depends on alot of things like how often you ride in the rain and how often you lube your chain.
2- A good bike shop will sell a chain wear indicator that will show you how much your chain has stretched.
3- It is recommend that you replace the rear set of sprockets when replacing the chain. Due to the wear on the cogs when the chain stretches. Replace the front cogs every 2nd time you do the rear cassette.
4- With mountain bike chains they are all about the same strength( I have heard it takes 1 ton of pulling force to break one) Quality will go up with how much your spend on your chain.
Thank you kindly good sir, excellent info for a newbie such as myself.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Not necessary if you change the chain before it goes past it's wear limit. I normally get 3 or 4 chains to 1 set of cassette/chainrings

wotsis

Likes Dirt
My stupid questions are.

All these questions, and many more, are answered in this slightly obsessive article from well over a decade back:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Search for the section "Measuring Chain Wear" for a much more accurate alternative than using a chain checking tool.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I had a M/L D2 carbon. Now I have a L D3 composite. Am I the only one who feels like the D3 is much smaller, to the point of giving me a headache?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Is it just me, or are there a whole lot more of "today's birthdays" then usual?
There does seem to be more than usual. I guess people just put 01/01/XX as their date of birth if they don't want to put their actual date of birth.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SO for uni assignments that are dumb enough to require you to create a movie file that can't be uploaded via the uni wireless or emailed through the uni system... where can I upload such file so that my lecturer may access it to mark- WITHOUT making it public? Only 400mb I think but hotmail isn't playing ball...

moorey

call me Mia
SO for uni assignments that are dumb enough to require you to create a movie file that can't be uploaded via the uni wireless or emailed through the uni system... where can I upload such file so that my lecturer may access it to mark- WITHOUT making it public? Only 400mb I think but hotmail isn't playing ball...
Prob an even stupider answer from a Luddite, but you can't upload to photobucket etc off campus and submitted as a private link?
Ignore if I have missed the point entirely.