Post your 29er!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Rocky Mountain Element 970

Here she is the enduro weapon for 2012, weighed in at 12.1 out of the box. Which considering the parts spec isn't too bad. A bit of parts swapping had the weight dropped best part of a kilo, wheels dropped 680grams alone (wheels off my Rocky Mountain Vertex 990) and swapped the quick release seat collar for a bolt thru (KCNC) another 50grms and swapped out the Fiz ik Gobi for a Tundra saddle. Need to replace the stem with a slightly longer and a neg rise,will swap over the handlebars to Easton EC70 carbon ones presently the wheels are running tubes but will be converted to tubeless in ASAP.
IMG_8712.jpgIMG_8713.jpg

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Very nice J!!
Have you ridden it yet? Would be interested in how you find it compared to your 29er HT.
I assume both would be ridden during a 24?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Very nice J!!
Have you ridden it yet? Would be interested in how you find it compared to your 29er HT.
I assume both would be ridden during a 24?

From the shop to the station, 200mts, going out this arvo for a spin. Geometry similar set up angles distances will be as close to identical as human accuracy will allow. Which is want I was after. Rolling around trying to sort out suspension settings you notice the 2.5kgs difference in weight btw the two bikes and the less snappy sensation comparing a full sus to HT. I reckon the transition btw the 2 bikes will become seamless which is what I set out to achieve, other than the obvious differences. The initial obvious differences is the weight descrepancies of the front wheel 1600grm V 1850grm ( includes the tyres) it increased weight takes a bit more effort to get the front wheel in the air. But will eventually have both bikes setup that bits are interchangeable btw the two bikes without any adjustments needed.

Yeah will use both bikes in the 24hr and the hard tail in the shorter races.

:clap2:
quiggs

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame swap...(I have very generous friends)

As my Unit was starting to look a little ragged, (no thanks to a hard life courtesy of me) I decided to give it another paint job. Being a one bike person, this becomes a little bit of an issue when you want a ride. Thanks to a hip muscle strain last week, I decided I would be off the bike long enough to do the required work. Wrong. Seems I recover a little faster these days.

Anyhoo, a good mate of mine heard of my plans and decided to donate (temporarily) his unused Salsa El Mariachi frame to me to ride. One day later, I've swapped everything over between the bikes, and other than having to replace a worn bottom bracket (and scrounge around for another 27.2 seatpost to use because I couldn't get the old one out of the Unit's frame) it all went rather smoothly. Gave it a quick bath and decided to take some pics.

I think it looks heaps better with the Salsa frame than the green Unit frame. All my parts seem to match this frame now, especially the bars.

From this...

To this...

New XT pedals to replace the troublesome Eggbeaters

Salsa do beautiful graphics on their frames.

Last edited:
That looks heaps better!

You must have had a vision or something when you bought those bars for the unit:)

Hey, why is the front skewer through from the right rather than the left?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks heaps better!

You must have had a vision or something when you bought those bars for the unit:)

Hey, why is the front skewer through from the right rather than the left?
Thanks. I think it looks so much better too. The bars were originally meant to be the raw Kevlar, and I ordered them prior to last year's Otway Odyssey, but they were out of stock, and I kept telling them to wait, but was running out of time and had to accept the white ones as they were the only type available. Alas, the raw ones became available 2 days after the white ones were sent, and would have arrived in plenty of time. I kept the white ones as they grew on me quickly.

As for the skewer, I always set it up on that side because it means that my greasy, dirty mitts get nowhere near the rotor when I'm trying to release or close it. Seems logical to me.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Love that El Mariachi.
I agree that Salsa frames look so much better in the flesh than they do on the interweb.
They ride real nice too. My El Mach sufferred from EBB issues early on but these fortunately settled.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, just took it for a quick spin and sure enough, the ebb started creaking. I've just finished pulling apart and re-greasing everything, so hopefully it'll be quiet from now.

I do like the handling however. Much more sure-footed than the Unit. Better turn-in and more stability through corners at speed. I'm liking it a lot.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I kept tightening mine every ride or 2 and it found a happy position and stopped creaking after a little while.
If you ignore it, eventually the whole thing spins out of the shell which is a pain.
I have heard of people loktite-ing them

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell your generous friend to sell it to you, Stevo!

Loving that you are loving it. Looks great!
I might just have to Steve. I think it will at least hang around until after the Odyssey. Can't wait to get it out on some proper trails on Sunday.

I put a half link in the chain before I went to bed, so now the ebb sits in the lower, rearward half, so any slipping will not result in the chain loosening.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Jim. How's the finger?
Recovering nicely bud. 50/50 for the COG social ride, but will be good to go in a week or 2.

My OO campaign would have turned to shit if not for the roadie. I gather your hip strain is better by the day?