VIC Lysterfield Park

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all open as of lunch time today!
Cheers Andy. With all the reworked trails out there these days I actually look forward to riding it, so good to see it move forward and get the attention it needs. Keep up the good work bro.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Great ideas....

But i always hear of these things (from PV) at work, and do not have the flexibilty to be able to get out there on a whim...

I agree that a much more procative approach to closing these tracks are needed, but i just don't have the time to get out there, and no one else is doing it.

I would rather PV spend there time managing the park rather than spending time and resources closing trails!

I will look at buying some pickets and tape...
Is it possible to stick flyers in the noticeboards? Not all will read them but will get the message out to more. And people will eventually get into the habits of checking them. Even things like trail building days.

I have missed tape on multiple occasions as others have pulled it down and I've spotted it at the other end of the trail.

On another note, Frankston Bear survived.
Hooray!

With the blocking trails thing I agree with eastie when he suggests a stronger physical barrier. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a barrier to riders but the "Follow Through" (one name that I've heard) extension of Follow Me had/has big trenches dug out around rocks, which made it clear (along with the signs) that that section of track was not ready to be ridden. It's not going to stop everyone but it does send a clear message to most that you shouldn't continue on. I'm not suggesting that we hack up the start of every trail each time they need to be closed but a much stronger/less vandalisable (it's a word!) barrier would definately be more effective for people like akshara and myself who have been caught out after others destroyed the plastic barriers.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Hooray!

With the blocking trails thing I agree with eastie when he suggests a stronger physical barrier. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a barrier to riders but the "Follow Through" (one name that I've heard) extension of Follow Me had/has big trenches dug out around rocks, which made it clear (along with the signs) that that section of track was not ready to be ridden. It's not going to stop everyone but it does send a clear message to most that you shouldn't continue on. I'm not suggesting that we hack up the start of every trail each time they need to be closed but a much stronger/less vandalisable (it's a word!) barrier would definately be more effective for people like akshara and myself who have been caught out after others destroyed the plastic barriers.
+1

was out there last Sunday and didn't realise I was on a closed trail a few times until I reached the exit point, as the markings at the beginning had been pulled down/moved or just were not obvious. But after "follow me" it was really obvious that "Follow through" (like that name) was not open for business.

However I do appreciate the work load involved for those who have to put up the closures, and the frustration when people ride anyway.

ha ok... but did you ride it anyway? (be honest)

(because you would be the first person i have seen turn around)
I did turn around, headed up Boys Farm Track and went down the new trail opposite the start of Follow Me. However, riding past the bottom end of "Follow Through" (lets just call it that for the moment) I almost got cleaned up by a couple of kids on K-Mart bikes with their Dad. I got a little excited and told the two guys riding with me that it must be open so we detoured, rode down Follow Me with the intention of continuing on. Lo and behold the Trail Closed signs were up so we turned around and headed back to the cars.

I must say I'm pretty disappointed because I'm really looking forward to seeing how it flows on from Follow Me but I'm happy to wait for it to be finished. The only problem is these kids got me excited tonight only to be let down when I saw it was still closed.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
I did turn around, headed up Boys Farm Track and went down the new trail opposite the start of Follow Me. However, riding past the bottom end of "Follow Through" (lets just call it that for the moment) I almost got cleaned up by a couple of kids on K-Mart bikes with their Dad. I got a little excited and told the two guys riding with me that it must be open so we detoured, rode down Follow Me with the intention of continuing on. Lo and behold the Trail Closed signs were up so we turned around and headed back to the cars.

I must say I'm pretty disappointed because I'm really looking forward to seeing how it flows on from Follow Me but I'm happy to wait for it to be finished. The only problem is these kids got me excited tonight only to be let down when I saw it was still closed.
Yeah we had signs all over the bottom of it also, but they have all been cut down and taken away :(

I will redo them and put them back out!

It will just all be called "follow me" but we are calling it Bermacide as a working name...

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Can anyone explain to me the rational of all of the riders i saw going in and out of lysterfield with filthy dirty/muddy bikes all day today. Don't know about you guys but my theory is when it pisses down like it has give lysterfield at least 2-3 days to recover and dry out a little so that i and others dont completly stuff all the hard work of parks and LDTR. DO people agree or disagree with me?? I just think that why wreck something that has taken a long time to get right again when there are other trails within 30km of lystefield that drain alot better and handle wet weather riding alot better. If all else fails i smash out a long bike track ride along the main yarra trail so as not to do any damage. If yhou agree with my point then how the hell do we start to educate people without becoming the trail nazis???:fat:

akashra

Eats Squid
Yeah, we saw dozens of riders out there all day while we stuck to the fire trails and gravel climbs of Churchill Park.
My attempt to take the short singletrack section that links Donelan to East-West break resulted in a 5mm twig destroying my RD and hanger on my cross bike within, I kid you not, about 25 meters from leaving the fire-trail :(

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Just a quick reminder that tommoz (17th)is a trail building day at Lysty

The usuall details 8 and 10 am @ the mix

Its too wet to ride, but perfect for digging!!!

It would be great to see y'all there

Hud

Likes Dirt
It may be possible but best to let things dry out as others have suggested. Silvan will be fine as an alternative after this amount of rain.

It may be possible but best to let things dry out as others have suggested. Silvan will be fine as an alternative after this amount of rain.
Cheers. Ended up riding out there and it was plenty dry, there were a few small puddles but nothing of note. The trails are in awesome condition, rode 'follow me' for the first time and had an absolute blast. That left hand line of the boulder at the start is a nice intro! Thanks to everyone who volunteers to do trail maintenance out there. Also I'm pretty sure I came around a corner on the com games track (I think it was com games? I have a terrible memory) and gave a small kid a scare by getting pretty close, sorry about that.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Trailbuilding this weekend 14th

The usuall details

8am and 10am @ Trail mix.
Bring good shoes and water.

It would be great to see y'all there :)

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Lysty CLOSED

Just to let everyone know, all trails except the SMBC (aka CGT) will be shut for the next 48 hours because of all the rain.

Trailmix will still be open...

Thankyou