Prototype Scott DH Bike

rone

Eats Squid
The bike industry is getting complicated for complication/marketing sake. Look at the SB66 with its "super suspension", Giant and thier "special" head tube, 27.5" wheels and now Scott have finally put the Frankenstein knife to the Gambler. K.I.S.S. I'd rather buy a Chinese copy of a 2011 model. At least there will be something "standard" on it.
Aaargh. Change! Just be thankful you have the choice. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Everyone complains that all the new downhill bikes look the same. And then something different comes out. And everyone complains that it's different...

Hope Brendog smashes it!
Agreed. Peoples view will change if he regularly starts finishing 5 seconds clear of everyone else.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree, at first look i hated it but i like it now. so low slung, low COG. theyve been able to fit a long shock in a good spot without piercing the downtube or anything. itll be light and ride nice. sweet.

.Sam

Likes Dirt
Looks terrible from side on view, however every picture where it is not on a side-on view it looks nice. Looks like there is too much going on when the view is side on.

If that makes sense :/

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Everyone complains that all the new downhill bikes look the same. And then something different comes out. And everyone complains that it's different...

Hope Brendog smashes it!
People like to whinge.

But in all seriousness why would you want to complicate a fucking single pivot to this extent?

Ivan

Eats Squid
People like to whinge.

But in all seriousness why would you want to complicate a fucking single pivot to this extent?
Considering there are no more pivots there than there was on the Gambler, or most other linkage driven single pivots, your post is quite ironic.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Considering there are no more pivots there than there was on the Gambler, or most other linkage driven single pivots, your post is quite ironic.
scott+gambler+2010.jpg
Clearly the old Gamblers were more complex. :very_drunk:
I don't favour any of the other single pivots with 15 linkages either.

So the leverage ratio is exactly how they want it?
Which would matter if you were running a Vanilla. Rc4's can do everything and get you laid.

So I'm still seeing it as adding unnecessary faffing* to a generically simple suspension design.

*scientific term

Last edited:

B-Proof

Likes Dirt
I like it too. Thou each to there own. Would be a bit boring if we all liked the same bikes..

Will be interesting to see how it rides, and how much it weighs. It doesn't sound like the team have had the frames for very long, and Scott aren't giving away too much about them.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
really hoping those linkages are carbon, otherwise its just an 1} overly complex 2} overly heavy system when it only needs to be 1

hell, if it works ... run with it

driftking

Wheel size expert
It looks weird but its bound to happen, there is always so much debate about bikes been so similar and im sure if this is the new design to make a leap in performance it will soon become everyone favorite bike.

The linkages doesnt look too complicated, Just looks like the first point is driven forward and down by compression, the second point (furthest forwards point) then drives upwards and rotates around the point on the seat tube, resulting the suspension then compressing down while the linkage remains somewhat stable and doesnt hit the frame.. of course I could be way off and wrong but it seems fairly simple, not really too much complex stuff going on.

I have to agree I am not a fan of the looks but we need inovation and design in the sport so on that aspect is is good to see someone branching out from the similar designs on the market, apart from the weird linkage the frame itself looks nice imo. Hopefully brendan can prove it works.

Last edited:

Plum13

Likes Bikes
I love it. The 'overly complicated' linkage is placed within a neat, basic, low slung front triangle with fast looking angles. I would love to have a ride and I would love to see that link in action.
In my opinion it is a lot cleaner and simpler looking than the frames on v10s and the likes.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'm a fan, and no tech expert but is it similar to Trek's single pivot design in that it has only 1 fixed point on the shock instead of 2 so you have the floating shock for a less violent actuation of the shock?

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm a fan, and no tech expert but is it similar to Trek's single pivot design in that it has only 1 fixed point on the shock instead of 2 so you have the floating shock for a less violent actuation of the shock?

No, no floating shock. The lower shock mount is fixed to the front triangle.

Also, treks claims re:"violent actuation of the shock" are BS.

dunndog

Eats Squid
No, no floating shock. The lower shock mount is fixed to the front triangle.

Also, treks claims re:"violent actuation of the shock" are BS.
Yeah true on your first point. On your second point, why is it bs? seems to make sense, but again no expert..

Ivan

Eats Squid
Shock shaft speed is not magically reduced by having a floating shock. Shock shaft speed can be reduced, for a fixed amount of rear wheel travel, by having a shorter stroke shock or higher leverage ratio. Both of those can be achieved without the need for a floating shock.

Floating shock arrangements are discussed here http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/news/37 and your question is also answered.

Last edited: