Mont 24 Hour. Tell us your stories

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
The Bonk

I learnt an interesting term last weekend: The Bonk. Apparently it's when you hit the wall, and Lance Armstrong has added to the term's credibility by occasional use. On my first night lap about half 12 going up Love Child's switch backs I came across a bloke half lying on the side of the track with his bike. I asked if he was already, he looked pretty shattered. I stopped and he said that he needed food, that if only he had some food maybe he could go on. Do I have a gel I could give him? No I don't. I ask if I should send for help at transition and he was unsure, just kept saying he needed food. Unsure of what to do I said I would ask for help at transition and took off. The trail switched back and up above him some more riders were passing. Please some food then I can go on. Some riders kept riding. I called out if anyone had food. A couple of guys stopped and passed back a gel which is pretty considerate. The poor bloke was totally bonked.

onyabike

Likes Bikes
Agree - drummer was a legend. Came round for a second lap, and he was gone. My disappointment was immense. Every lap after that, I hoped he would be there, but he was gone - tempted away by the Super Mario style mushrooms probably......
The mushrooms were cool particularly when lit up by the lights at night..I was just waiting for a smurf to jump out!

Big thanks to Adam (7221) and Ewen for the canister the lend of a pump after a tubeless failure and two flat tubes all in the one lap. Despite your kind generosity I still ended up running/shuffling the last four k's back to the finish..running single track, in shoes, at night with a bike isn’t fun!

I never caught up with you guys but will pass on the generosity to the next mountain biker in need...maybe even a roadie!

hipdos

Likes Bikes
Our Foursome ['Go Freddie' 18 Laps Avg Age 58] had our night ride destroyed by that ugly noise on 'Love Child' ....... was that music......? aaaaagh !!
Surely he only ruined the couple of minutes that you could hear him? I think the majority of people thought it was a pretty wild experience; it certainly took my mind off the Love Child grind.. The drummer was even better though..

ps Wasn't Jimi Hendrix around when you were in your prime?

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
... me too, but everyone else who passed me [about 247 peeps a lap] were also younger than me...... but I overtook another bunch [not that many] who were also younger than me. Our Foursome ['Go Freddie' 18 Laps Avg Age 58] had our night ride destroyed by that ugly noise on 'Love Child' ....... was that music......? aaaaagh !!

I was humming [1968] Diana and the Supremes and really pumping it at 3.2kph...... bit slower than my 45rpm single!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IluVWcNtR8

Did you or one of your riders have a hardtail with a rattly rack Canbaroo? I followed a bloke up that part with a rattly rack & the guitarist went "BREEAAAAUUUUUWWWWWWWWW" in our ears, fark it was loud. About 2am.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
... me too, but everyone else who passed me [about 247 peeps a lap] were also younger than me...... but I overtook another bunch [not that many] who were also younger than me. Our Foursome ['Go Freddie' 18 Laps Avg Age 58] had our night ride destroyed by that ugly noise on 'Love Child' ....... was that music......? aaaaagh !!

I was humming [1968] Diana and the Supremes and really pumping it at 3.2kph...... bit slower than my 45rpm single!
3.2kph? I saw your laps time Steve and you were averaging alot quicker then that - you guys kicked some butt!

This was my first Mont experience (in fact my first 24 hours experience) and I really enjoyed it. The drummer was a legend as was the guitarist dude playing some trippy tunes and laser lights.

The running start was certainly a spectacle - I can say our team member was actually the first rider to reach the bikes! I knew our guy was quick but man he was like Usain Bolt! So technically our team led the race for the first few minutes :)

I was amazed/impressed at the sheer number of people out there doing this race. The variety of riders was incredible - from the super elites to others taking 2+ hours per lap. I was lucky enough to overtake a number of riders and I can't recall any negative reaction when I asked to pass (of course I have heard of a couple of unpleasant incidents!).

Would also like to send out a huge thank you to a girl wearing giant kit who stopped to ride behind me for a few mins after I had a nasty stack at around 10:30pm. I fell (partially on my face - but luckily just got a few scratches) and she stopped to see if I was OK. I told her "I think so" and got up and starting riding into the bushes away from the track! I suddenly stopped and she kindly told me my light on helmet was a bit crooked. The next few minutes I was riding like a drunken bum - I could hardly stay on the track.

In the end I managed to get my bearings after a few mins and rode safely to transition. My intention was to say thank you to her when she crossed the line, however I so tired I just went back to the tent and slept for a few hours.

On a personal note, I was fortunate enough to be in a team that managed to podium - scored some interesting goodies - a track pump, tyres (26 inch), washing detergent(?) and some bike holding device (cycloc?).

kom123

Likes Bikes
I had a great time with a disappointing and somewhat embarassing ending....

This was my first Mont and in fact my first ever MTB event so I didn't know what to expect but the whole thing was a great experience and one I'd certainly have another go at. I managed to finish 2 and well...three quarter laps....

I was part of team of six and started with two night rides, the first about 7.30pm and the next about 4.00am or so. The first night ride I finished and 1hr42mins which I was really happy about for my standard. It would hae been shorted but I stopped with a few others to help the guy with the fractured femur. Poor bloke was screaming in agony and I knew there would be more anguish when we had to lift him because he was laying across the track. I his recover works out well and doesn't discourage him from entering again. My second night ride was a lot slower. It was much colder, damper and more opportunities to slip and I took it more cautiously. Not sure if I was put off by what happened the previous run but I still enjoyed myself.

So I thought after that there would be no more laps for me. I got back to camp at 6.30am or so and we still had five riders in rotation before I would be up again. Well the first three made good times, the four pulled out through injury from his previous lap and that left one who would have to have his best ever lap for me to go out. Well of course he did!! He got back about 11.58am with a big smile one his face and thrust the team passport into my hands.

I was still dressed in my clothes from the 4.00am ride, hadn't prepared properly with food and or drink and hadn't slept as thought I wouldn't be going out. Anyway, I jumped on the bike and off I headed. I knew there wouldn't be that many out after me and as expected they all overtook me. Suddnly I was alone in the East Kowen Forest. I was enjoying the ride and the sun after two night rides but it was strange with noone else along. Somewhere along the way two riders came from somewhere to tell me I was officially the last rider on the track for the event!! That spurred me on a bit as I didn't want to seem like a tortoise.

Then disaster struck....somewhere near the second checkpoint where they take you number I took....a wrong turn!! Blissfully unaware of what I'd done, and pedalled hard away into the forest but after a while I suspected something was wrong as although I had only cycled at night, the tracks no longer seemed familiar and the segment names I know longer recognised. My fears were confirmed when I heard the sounds of the highway :(

I got out my phone, oh crap, SOS calls only and 8 percent battery left. I cycled some more until I found reception and then managed to call the race directed to advise him of my location, somewhere called Last Tango. As it turns out, I'd gone off onto some ther course which they were originally looking at using in the Mont but had to change location after all the rain in the leadup (it was still quite soft). So they sent out a vehicle to get me (thanks Paul for the lift and chat and trying to lift my spirits with "never mind mate, at least you got to ride some tracks that noone else did!") and took me back to the camp grounds where everything was being packed up.

Disappointing and embarrasing but a lesson learnt. So I cycled back to the campsite where all my teammates ran out to give me a big cheer so it wasn't so bad in the end. They reckon it will make for a good story to retell over the years.

Thanks organisers and volunteers for a great event. And I have to say that everyone I met was really friendly so that added to the enjoyment over the for days (Friday to Monday) that I was there.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
My race that never was

So i had accpeted a spot in Wilddemons team unsure of what to expect . Never met the bloke before but he put it out there and we got talking . Its always hard to make new friends when you are older and i would like to think i can call him one . Anyway , lots of training later and a week out from the race and i`m really looking forward to it , i was all antsy and kept thinking about the trail . Then disaster strikes on the sunday arvo . I`m curled up in a pain so excruciating that according to my missus has turned me white and green . She`s raced me to the hospital and they rushed me straight in . Ruled the appendix out straight up with a press on the gut . Next shot was kidney or gall stones . Hooked up to drip with morphine shots took some of the edge off . Scans show kidney stones . Along with the shots of morphine i get endone . Next day i have to be transfered to wollongong , then to figtree . I have to undergo an operation to put a stent in . I need to be right to go to canberra and race a mountain bike i say . No way they say . By this stage i`m almost in tears i`m so devastated . Not only do i still have stones i have a kidney infection also . I have another operation in april and maybe another soon after . So no more riding for me for at least a couple months !!

On a nicer note its great to read all your mont stories and wish i could have added my own experience . Its good to see how everyone respects and helps each other and has fun .The team i was in '' Those Air Souls'' travelled quite well finishing mid pack despite only having the 5 . I hope i get another crack next year .
Cheers
Mario

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Then disaster struck....somewhere near the second checkpoint where they take you number I took....a wrong turn!! Blissfully unaware of what I'd done, and pedalled hard away into the forest but after a while I suspected something was wrong as although I had only cycled at night, the tracks no longer seemed familiar and the segment names I know longer recognised. My fears were confirmed when I heard the sounds of the highway :(

I got out my phone, oh crap, SOS calls only and 8 percent battery left. I cycled some more until I found reception and then managed to call the race directed to advise him of my location, somewhere called Last Tango. As it turns out, I'd gone off onto some ther course which they were originally looking at using in the Mont but had to change location after all the rain in the leadup (it was still quite soft). So they sent out a vehicle to get me (thanks Paul for the lift and chat and trying to lift my spirits with "never mind mate, at least you got to ride some tracks that noone else did!") and took me back to the camp grounds where everything was being packed up.

Disappointing and embarrasing but a lesson learnt. So I cycled back to the campsite where all my teammates ran out to give me a big cheer so it wasn't so bad in the end. They reckon it will make for a good story to retell over the years.

Thanks organisers and volunteers for a great event. And I have to say that everyone I met was really friendly so that added to the enjoyment over the for days (Friday to Monday) that I was there.
ROTFLMAO! very rarely does that acronym hold true - but my fam are looking at me strangely! that is a brilliant story - Mate, that story would make home and away a 3 episode story for sure!

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
Top 5 Mont moments
1. The track- Such a great track, real traditional Canberra Pine forest track
2. My Buzz lap (my lap 2) because
a, It was dark and I love riding in the dark
b, I got a totally free run down slideshow, rolling thunder and beer garden
c, see moment #3
3. The drummer- I missed the guitarist but the drummer was very cool. What other event would you find a dude in the middle of a forest at 8pm at night having a jam session on a drum kit!!
4. The heater in the rego tent. I spent the hour between my 2am lap and my 4am lap standing in front of of the heater. Sure beat hanging out in a cold dark camp spot.
5. The riders- Everyone was very pleasant and happy on course (and off), great to spend time with so many great people.

A few photos from the first 3k star loop here

If I get around to it ill edit my gopro on a stick footage.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
I learnt an interesting term last weekend: The Bonk. Apparently it's when you hit the wall, and Lance Armstrong has added to the term's credibility by occasional use. On my first night lap about half 12 going up Love Child's switch backs I came across a bloke half lying on the side of the track with his bike. I asked if he was already, he looked pretty shattered. I stopped and he said that he needed food, that if only he had some food maybe he could go on. Do I have a gel I could give him? No I don't. I ask if I should send for help at transition and he was unsure, just kept saying he needed food. Unsure of what to do I said I would ask for help at transition and took off. The trail switched back and up above him some more riders were passing. Please some food then I can go on. Some riders kept riding. I called out if anyone had food. A couple of guys stopped and passed back a gel which is pretty considerate. The poor bloke was totally bonked.
Did he have a strong colombian accent? Thin guy on an older 2008 trance??

Because I'm pretty sure you are describing out team mate, Ando... Very quick rider, very fast on the DH especially since he's ridden a few DH world cup rounds. Was doing 56 min laps, but 'hit the wall' on one of his laps. His description matches pretty accurately what you just said. He was very grateful for the food you guys gave him. His vegetarian, so guess he needs to be more careful with is food intake. He said he had nightmares later that morning...

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
I saw a guy matching this description clinging to the back of the guitarist's pop-up tent VERY SLOWLY eating a bar or gel. He looked pretty shattered and in no hurry to resume his ride.

macboy

Likes Dirt
My first Mont and I loved it.

This year was my first Mont, I was actually brought in to the team of 4 as the guy who organised the team had to pull out. What a race, great fun.
We arrived mid Friday arvo from Melbourne. Only two of us could get the Friday off work. So we drove all the teams gear up and our other two boys flew in Saturday morning. One frustrating thing we found was that we arrived to a half empty campsite but nearly every spot suitable for our camper was taped off or reserved. We struggled to find a spot and ended up camping down near the pond out the back of transition. It turned out to be a great spot, away from any noisey generators and only a 30 second ride to transition from behind the shop stands. The only dampener on the event for me was that when we thought we had a spot snagged a young guy came over and told us it was reserved, which was fair enough. However, I hadn't yet shut my mouth from apologising to the guy and telling my mate to move the camper when and old grumpy git came storming over flapping his arms like an ape and rudely yelling at us to "get out, this is our area, get out!!" etc. Later on that night I trundled up from our very quite campsite to go to the loos and I noticed that the race organisers had since put a giant flood lit generator right on the corner of their campsite which was running all night. I hope Mr Grumpy enjoyed a very bright and noisy night. Karma's a bitch :) People reserving areas is fine in theory but when you walk past during the race and they are only using half of what they've taped off it kinda sucks. Also, when we have to travel up on the Friday there is no way to mark out or reserve a spot. Maybe an interstate camping area needs to be allocated?
Anyway, back to the topic.
The race itself was so good. I'm a pretty good runner so I got to start. It seems I may be too good at running because I ended up leaving the the pick up area about 3rd or 4th, oops. This usually wouldn't be a problem but as I'd never ridden the track I was going to be slower than others who knew it. I held my own on the lap and let anyone faster go past as soon as I heard them anywhere near my back wheel. I have have never seen such a sea of riders as I did coming back into transition after that first lap, it was a great spectacle.
We weren't anticipating being overly competative. I had a bad chesty cold, one other guy was very much out of form and our last rider who smashed it up on his single speed had gastro so he spent nearly as much time on the can as he did on the bike. We only had one fit rider. My second lap out was much quicker and more fun as I now had an idea of what to expect.
By the time of my third lap it was night. This track was friggin awesome at night, I had so much fun. When passing some of the slower riders at night I'm sure they think the faster guys are nuts. The drummer was cool, it's a shame it didn't get to see the guitarist. It's a great way to take your mind of the pain for a second and also wake you up if you're zoning out a bit in the night.
I must say I have never had to call for track so many times in a race but also that I have never had a race when is has been so easy to do so. The only time I got what you could call 'held up' was when there actually wasn't a safe spot to pass. Any other time I just asked for track and people tried there best to get over as soon as they could. It was so good, well done to everyone for doing it so well, it made it a lot more enjoyable.
We had no grand plans for results at this race and were completely shocked to find out early in the evening that we were in the top 5 of our category and 9th overall, WTF? Around midnight or so we slipped into 4th in category and 8th overall. We were completely shocked again. When our strong man went out for his first lap on Sunday morning he unfortunately burped his front tyre and had a devil of a time getting it sorted. It dropped us down to about 14th overall but amazingly we were still 4th in the mens foursomes. Try as hard as we all could (our out of form rider even pulled a sub 1 hour lap) we couldn't quite get back in to the top ten, we fell short by just 7 seconds!! Even so, we still couldn't believe our position. Even to the point that we had to double check a few times.
For us it was an awesome race, great weather, great fun, great track, great timing by Russ as usual and just lots of fun. Well done to all involved, we'll be back next year for sure :)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Bonked Colombian

Did he have a strong colombian accent? Thin guy on an older 2008 trance??

Because I'm pretty sure you are describing out team mate, Ando... Very quick rider, very fast on the DH especially since he's ridden a few DH world cup rounds. Was doing 56 min laps, but 'hit the wall' on one of his laps. His description matches pretty accurately what you just said. He was very grateful for the food you guys gave him. His vegetarian, so guess he needs to be more careful with is food intake. He said he had nightmares later that morning...
Yeah, I'd go with a strong accent, could be Colombian. Yeah I was feeling for your mate, he was rooted. I was considering ripping off a finger to give him but knowing now that he's vego that would have been a total waste. Did he end up going out again?

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Bloody Good Blokes

Its always hard to make new friends when you are older and i would like to think i can call him one
Of course you can mate. You're a good bloke so you would have definitely fit in at the Mont. I think I'll have to turn my maybe next year into definitely so we can go in it together! (1-2-3-awwwww)

toddcuth

Likes Bikes
unicycle

hi did anyone else see the guy doing a night lap on a unicycle if so did he do the whole lap?
i know i was tired but i'm pretty sure i wasn't seeing things..... i hope...

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Unusual Bikes

hi did anyone else see the guy doing a night lap on a unicycle if so did he do the whole lap?
i know i was tired but i'm pretty sure i wasn't seeing things..... i hope...
I didn't see that but I did hear about. But I did see the young bloke come in on the 12 inch kids bike, with the very long seat pole. 2 hours and 20 minutes was pretty impressive for a tiny bike with little cranks.