What was your first mountain bike

mtb1611

Seymour

One of these, 1992 Diamondback Ascent. Only even more crap, with Exage crap including Biopace chaninrings and plastic calipers. Wish I still had it though!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
A 2000 Norco Scrambler. Barely rode it for 8 years, then moved to the bush and got hooked on the riding on dirt thing. The frame is still sitting behind the shed. Maybe I should do something with it......

This is what I consider to be my first proper mountain bike. I got it a few years ago when I was about 14 or so. Can't exactly remember. Up until then I'd been undergoing a failed attempt at BMX riding. Haven't looked back since.

Not a bad little bike at the time, but nothing great by any means.

My first ride was a Shogun Extreme, it was black with orange decals. At the time it was the sweetest thing in the local bike shop. It had RST triples, stx rc drivetrain and V-brakes. It did the job and is what kick started it for me. It even had a penthouse model in its advertising campaign :cool:

My first real mtb was a Kona Stuff 03 model, it was in the matt army green colour. I still remember riding it home from the bike shop in the dark after picking it up on a thursday night after school.

Happy days...

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
A fluorescent green Shogun Trail Breaker 2, bought brand spankers in 1990.
Bent the Tangealloy forks within a few months hitting the small drop in my local parklands. Smashed the rear derailleur and 'upgraded' it to Exage and then replaced the flogged out front mech. as well.
Did heaps of exploring and learning on that bike until some lowlife stole it.
I still have the frame and seatpost of my second MTB; a red Gary Fisher Advance. These days its a nice, though battle scared singlespeed; living out it's retirement from courier days as a townie and occasional bush hack. One of my non-riding mates was going to borrow it as a uni commuter, but decided to buy a shiny new dually from Big W. Sucker.

Last edited:

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
A dark green Apollo of some sort c. 1992. Cost me about $600, full rigid with Cromo frame and Alivio components, did some crazy crap on that bike. I think my brother still uses it to ride with the family.

barron

Likes Dirt
My first time was with a Haro Vector V2, circa 1995. Bought from the LBS at windsor. Alu framed hardtail, 19.5". Had no MTB knowledge whatsoeva and felt ripped off when at home I read the sticker on the frame that states

"not for off road use".

It survived being thrown around the paddocks of home, and remained with me. Now does the family duties of pillioning the little one. It got an upgrade of sorts when I broke an ancient Raceline frame. It now has the MOJO elastomer forks (elastomers must surely be putty by now), magura hydrolic rim brakes, old style Xt rear mech. Yeaterday pulled the BB for the first time EVER, and unsurprisingly felt a notch or two, crank arms also a little worse for wear after a life time of neglect and ignorance (who thought crank arms could be neglected - go figure). Now due for the treat of a new (second hand) crank and BB.

I see Haro mentioned occasionally in these serious circles. Would love to get opinion on whether my origins were on a K-mart bike or something with a little cred. Was bought from a LBS but thats not always a guarantee is it, 'not for off road use'.

My first was a signature something? Got it in the mid 90's. It was poo brown and cost me about $700 I was super bummed when I rode it round to my mates house about a week later and he had suspension, disks and could lift his bike with only one hand.. It lasted maybe a year till i cracked the frame.

zac

Likes Dirt
A 20" framed '98 or '99 GT Palomar with RST 281s... Not entirely sure what year cause I could never find it in a catalogue or on the website. I think the colour's Pine Green? I've still got it, just rebuilt it to use as a commuter/fitness bike until I can buy my 456 frame :) The fork still kind of works, and it has newish cranks, rear derailleur and brakes. The original rear derailleur was sacrificed for uni, the square taper cranks were binned when they rounded out, and the original saddle and post were nicked when I was at uni one day. I popped open the rear hub and lost all the bearings (without realising till ten minutes later) on a half metre drop to flat at the local soccer club...

The second bike was a '98 Norco Rampage with leaky Z3s... I've never owned a non-Marzocchi fork since, and would kill to have this frame in a 20" size rather than the 16" that I have.

First one was a Giant 'something'? back in 92. Had it stolen from home (that sucked).
So purchased a Giant ATX 870? with XT (sweet) in 96?. Had it stolen from work on a weekend. That really sucked.
So purchased a Giant ATX 860 in 98, which I still have today. Since moving back to the city (lived in Darwin during the 90's), I've put slicks on it and a rigid carbon fork. It's my everyday city explorer bike.

Now considering a composite XTC 29er, but can I get the SRAM switched out to the Shimano XT which is on the 1? Hmmn. Perhaps I should wait to see what's on the 2013 model.
And I'm dreaming of the Darwin tracks again and exploring around!

aanon

Likes Dirt
My first bike , bought new in 89, was a red Shogun trail breaker 2.
Looking back it is amazing how crap it was, but shit it was fun.

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Mine was a 20" inch Mongoose MTB from Kmart. It was the worst bike EVER! After a month, the twistes ceased up and I was stuck in highest gear until I busted it up with an axe... and then it really was the worst bike!

Warwick

Likes Dirt
In 94 I bought my girlfriend a 93 Cannondale M1000. She dumped me a month or so later, so I took it back. Been in love with it ever since. It now weighs 8 and a bit kg's, has no suspension, is Mercedes Orange and is the commuter/bike track/city bike.jaffa2.jpeg.jpg

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In 94 I bought my girlfriend a 93 Cannondale M1000. She dumped me a month or so later, so I took it back. Been in love with it ever since. It now weighs 8 and a bit kg's, has no suspension, is Mercedes Orange and is the commuter/bike track/city bike.View attachment 234215
Is that one with one of the 1-1/4 head tubes?

LeeD

Likes Dirt
1st

Malvern Star Tyrant. Circa 93.
Did the Bump track on it.
Beat the dude on the sycamore.