The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Amazing pics Wazza. You've got to start sharing some of these on Bonzle.

I'll be heading up into the Brindies in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to so summit "snow camping".

shakes

Likes Dirt
I keep swinging between a tent or a bivvy bag. An extra 500g~750g for more space, but not so storm friendly in the cheaper end? takes longer to set-up and pack up? but easier to get changed in or read a book when it's raining? what else? I'm not planning on heading out over or too close to winter but will be in the alpine regions so anythings possible anytime..... Saying all that I'm super comfy in a swag.

The tent below has caught my eye, peoples thoughts? Only really has to last a few trips until I work out what I actually need.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/spartan-person-ultralight-hiking-tent-p-751.html

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Shakes, I'd suggest one of these: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/tripod-bivy/ I've had both the bipod and tripod bivies from Black Diamond. The bipod was too tight to lay on your side in, so I sold it and replaced with the tripod which is perfect. Enough room to read a book and bring in a few essential items. Quick to set up and pack up.

Question for you blokes.. I'm spending next Monday and Tuesday night out on Cape Pillar (Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania). The weather has been appalling, rain, frost and freaking cold(overnight temps between -4c and 0c). I'm taking the tripod bivy but the sleeping bags I have on offer are a shade underwhelming for winter camping, a Mont Zodiac 350 rated to 2c and an old Mountain Designs Overlander rated to 0c. Thing is, when using the bivy in Tasmanian summer and autumn with the Zodiac I freaking cook, so do you think the insulation properties of the bivy will cover me for the low temps in the poorly rated bags?

shakes

Likes Dirt
Shakes, I'd suggest one of these: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/tripod-bivy/ I've had both the bipod and tripod bivies from Black Diamond. The bipod was too tight to lay on your side in, so I sold it and replaced with the tripod which is perfect. Enough room to read a book and bring in a few essential items. Quick to set up and pack up.

Question for you blokes.. I'm spending next Monday and Tuesday night out on Cape Pillar (Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania). The weather has been appalling, rain, frost and freaking cold(overnight temps between -4c and 0c). I'm taking the tripod bivy but the sleeping bags I have on offer are a shade underwhelming for winter camping, a Mont Zodiac 350 rated to 2c and an old Mountain Designs Overlander rated to 0c. Thing is, when using the bivy in Tasmanian summer and autumn with the Zodiac I freaking cook, so do you think the insulation properties of the bivy will cover me for the low temps in the poorly rated bags?
In my experience as long as you have something to stop the cold coming up from below you will be fine. (swag with a -2 sleeping bag in canberra over winter and vic high country around easter)

Why bivvy over tent?

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Why bivvy over tent?
Have had both and prefer the bivy. My reasons:
-Most of my rides are between two days and five and I like to go light and fast.
- I can set a bivy up under a bridge, behind a hedge, in a church yard etc and the profile is super low and stealth, unlike a tent.
- I can set up in about a minute and pack up in two.
- In bad wind/weather the tripod/bipod bivy is super sound.
- Packs super small.
- Lighter than a tent.

I went with a Black Diamond poled bivy so that I could read a book at night, bring in a few essential items and so that if it rained for extended periods I could cope with being stuck inside the bivy space.

I'll try a ground sheet, thanks for the idea.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I got one of these for hiking/camping. R3.1 rating, less than 500 grams and as big as a 500ml water bottle when packed. It stops the cold from underneath. Its like sleeping on a heated mattress.
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/expe...52158D7C9C82696BC12579C200351320?opendocument

Cheers,
Ferg

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
I keep swinging between a tent or a bivvy bag. An extra 500g~750g for more space, but not so storm friendly in the cheaper end? takes longer to set-up and pack up? but easier to get changed in or read a book when it's raining? what else? I'm not planning on heading out over or too close to winter but will be in the alpine regions so anythings possible anytime..... Saying all that I'm super comfy in a swag.

The tent below has caught my eye, peoples thoughts? Only really has to last a few trips until I work out what I actually need.

Here were a couple of options I was browsing through the other day and thought were noteable - as much because of the price as the weight.

http://pedalhead.net/2011/08/19/nemo-gogo-elite-bivy-initial-thoughts/
http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/prod860.htm

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
1st attempt frame bag

I thought I would have a go at making a frame bag. It's my first time on a sewing machine so was quite happy with the results as a first time. There's a few faults that i'll sort out on my next effort, Slightly messy zip, longer straps for the velcro,extra strap on the top tube.
I used a basic sewing machine and 1000d cordura which is prob more heavy than i needed but did have a bit of trouble getting hold of lighter material. If anyone has any advice to make the process easier it would be awesome

Attachments

climberman

Likes Dirt

This might be the deal for you - http://marketplace.ski.com.au/index.php?a=2&b=5934

Not mine but a mates. He has sewn snow baffles in to minimise draft and spindrift. He ran a small gear manufacturing firm for some time so is good with the sewing machine.

shakes

Likes Dirt
I thought I would have a go at making a frame bag. It's my first time on a sewing machine so was quite happy with the results as a first time. There's a few faults that i'll sort out on my next effort, Slightly messy zip, longer straps for the velcro,extra strap on the top tube.
I used a basic sewing machine and 1000d cordura which is prob more heavy than i needed but did have a bit of trouble getting hold of lighter material. If anyone has any advice to make the process easier it would be awesome
Looks good, I found some links on bikepacking.net and a not to bad youtube vid if you want the links?

I've also got a bike in northcote that wants a framebag if you want more practice ;)

Not quite what I'm after climberman - initially I'm now buying a small 2 man (long story) most likely the ferrino nemisis. Bring on tax time!

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Thanks.
Yeh I got most of my info from bikepacking.net. I'll do a lot beter next time I think. You might not want a bag if you saw some of my sewing and do you really want camo. I hate camo, still is good for stealth camping

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Overnighter?

Hi All,

Just looking for suggestions for a good overnighter ride. I'm in Sydney, so a train trip to the Start point and a station and the finish would be preferable. I'm currently looking at Blue Mountains start, possibly
heading South. I dug up an old thread here about the Katoomba/Blackheath to Mittagong ride that sounds perfect, except for the restrictions on access to Water catchment area land :-(

This is the kind of thing i'm looking for, minus the trespassing etc. I like the distance and terrain. Any info on this or something similar that is worthy?

Is there a route from Lithgow down towards Goulburn or similar that anyone could suggest?

150kms…ish max, singletrack sections would be nice??

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
I will add at the satart that I have not personally ridden through the Blue Mountains but I ahve been from Blackheath to Megalong Valley. For me this is where I would start if you were going to try to get to Mittagong. Its a beautiful start to the ride, pretty well down hill all the way into the vally with sweeping veiws and plenty to see.

From what I understand, the access issues are on the dam foreshores? Anyway you can skirt around this by going through Kanangra Boyd NP: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCycling.aspx?id=N0016

Two things, how is your fitness? There are a lot of up hills & down hills in this area and this becomes quite hard once you have a bit of gear on board & your 150km in two days may not be achievable. Have you done this type of thing before? In the one trip I have done in the Snowies we only did 50km in the two days & it was bloody hard work.

Food & waster + weight, You should be able to get way with water tabs & such but you need to be uber prepared.

What is your plan other than to ride 150km through the bush & get picked up by the train?

droctagon

Likes Dirt
I will add at the satart that I have not personally ridden through the Blue Mountains but I ahve been from Blackheath to Megalong Valley. For me this is where I would start if you were going to try to get to Mittagong. Its a beautiful start to the ride, pretty well down hill all the way into the vally with sweeping veiws and plenty to see.

From what I understand, the access issues are on the dam foreshores? Anyway you can skirt around this by going through Kanangra Boyd NP: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCycling.aspx?id=N0016

Two things, how is your fitness? There are a lot of up hills & down hills in this area and this becomes quite hard once you have a bit of gear on board & your 150km in two days may not be achievable. Have you done this type of thing before? In the one trip I have done in the Snowies we only did 50km in the two days & it was bloody hard work.

Food & waster + weight, You should be able to get way with water tabs & such but you need to be uber prepared.

What is your plan other than to ride 150km through the bush & get picked up by the train?
I am just looking for a good 2 day adventure, It doesn't have to be 150kms, that would be max distance. 2-3 days if necessary. It doesn't necessarily have to be that remote, that one just sounds & from pics looks interesting.

So anyone who's actually done it?(Katoomba/Mittagong) any knowledge would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by (What is your plan other than to ride 150km through the bush & get picked up by the train?) Fatguts?
The train just adds to the convenience of not having to plot a circuit, we can cover ground in one direction and be home relatively conveniently, in time for work.

As for fitness, it's good.

The Snowies look a bit harder than what i'm after at this stage.

I'm open to suggestions

simjims

Squid
I am just looking for a good 2 day adventure, It doesn't have to be 150kms, that would be max distance. 2-3 days if necessary. It doesn't necessarily have to be that remote, that one just sounds & from pics looks interesting.

So anyone who's actually done it?(Katoomba/Mittagong) any knowledge would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by (What is your plan other than to ride 150km through the bush & get picked up by the train?) Fatguts?
The train just adds to the convenience of not having to plot a circuit, we can cover ground in one direction and be home relatively conveniently, in time for work.

I'm open to suggestions
2 day adventure, check out bump n grind. http://www.theunknownrider.com/2012/05/27/bumpngrind-1-100-miles-of-learning/

the second episode is early next month

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt

I'm open to suggestions
Done it... very solid 2 day ride, but do-able in 1 :) Nice and Cruisy in 3 :)

http://web.me.com/arran_pearson/The...s/2011/8/22_Ok,_Time_for_a_New_Challenge.html

I have a tentative trip planned to add in a stop at Yerrandrie and do it over two days - that would be around 160km a day (starting at Blackheath).

There is decent camping at Dingo Dell and accommodation at Jenolan a well as Wombeyan Caves (camping, cabins and good camp kitchens).

The ride I did probably works better to camp at Dingo Dell (which is up on the range before turning off to the Fatigue FireTrail) - that makes the first day a little shorter... the main reason I pushed on was that there was no mobile reception and I'd committed to a call in that night.

Would say in hindsight that doing this ride in August was stoopid though :)