Yarra Trails regulars

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got any update on the YT conditions? I assume the rain last night didn't help the situation? I think there is more rain forecast today. Hopefully that will discourage some from ripping the tracks apart.
Yarra Flats, around Kew all very wet, there's plenty of water moving from high to low making for some very soggy sections.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I won't reveal the number but can confirm that some serious re-jigging of the garage is required!!
Have you seen The Castle?
"I need to move the Torana so I can move the commodore, I have to get statesman out so I can get to the Gemini"
Just replace Holden's with S-works and we're nearly there?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*sigh* more road riding....
Man, I hear you. I am busting for some decent MTB riding close to home again. Going nuts with all this rain, and either a road ride or a drive somewhere the only way to deal with it. Which of course I am not dealing with.

Getting that "rained in" syndrome. Can't ride. Buying stuff. New chain ring, chain, cog for SS. Check. Need a new pair of shoes. Check. I'm one smart looking commuter!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can it seriously rain any more?! at this rate, we'll become the Yarra Trails regular swimmers -.-
yeah was looking at a forecast for next month and most days have rain predicted. YTs Mud Sliders, YTs Bike Path Warriors, ahh what can you do!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Picked up new CX bike this weekend. First ride was at the Melbourne gravel grinder on Sunday. 85km and 4 hours of off road goodness! YT is going to fun on the crux I suspect :)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up new CX bike this weekend. First ride was at the Melbourne gravel grinder on Sunday. 85km and 4 hours of off road goodness! YT is going to fun on the crux I suspect :)
was planning to do that ride myself but due to family commitments no go - how were the climbs on cx -?. have to say those cx bikes fly along on the gravel roads, of course coming from an mtber they have their limits on rough single track, but alot of fun finding the smooth line. once YTs dry out there's some great cx routes around.

Lard

Likes Dirt
was planning to do that ride myself but due to family commitments no go - how were the climbs on cx -?. have to say those cx bikes fly along on the gravel roads, of course coming from an mtber they have their limits on rough single track, but alot of fun finding the smooth line. once YTs dry out there's some great cx routes around.
I did Gravel Ginders yesteday on my 29er 3x9, and survived just about all the climbs except Breckneck Rd out of Yarra Glen. There was definately a lot more pushing done by the CX riders that I saw, there was some very steep pinches that would be just about impossible on standard CX gearing. That said, there was more than enough easier climbs and road sections where the CX bike easily made up the difference.

Edit: I just looked on strava, Breakneck Rd is ~30% grandient at the top, no wonder it hurt!

Last edited: