Yarra Trails regulars

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
BTW has anyone noticed that the little 2 plank bridge in the gully at the bottom of the heavily rutted track over from the GSB has been removed? Not a trace of it, so my guess it's gone off in a ute .. Ranger/PV? .. a sign of things to come?
Perhaps taken away by flood? Last year that section flowed hard after the top dam overflowed.

I must say that I'm surprised that the sensitive flaura area that you described is still open. We created GSB to encourage traffic away from that area and it was to be closed soon after.

That said, any structures like plank bridges are frowned upon by PV and sould be dismantled. The ranger and I had ridden the trails several times last year identifying things that needed attention and we ended up dismantling several things. We never did hit that gully though.

On another topic, after six weeks riding up in the Kimberley I have been struggling to get motivated to ride mud again. I suppose that I shall soon have to harden up and hit it again. I feel fat.

Finding motivation to go from this:

to this:

is tough to do.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hummm.... I suspect the photo above is the answer, but am planning an AM ride tomorrow so was wondering what the Yarra Trails are like out to Hans. Are they in a state to ride? Presuming Hans is OK?

Edit: It still looks like a very clean bike George!

Last edited:

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Fellas (and fellettes), Hans is looking pretty good at the moment apart from the usual offenders (leaky dams x2) so if you need your MTB fix, I suggest you get out there! Oh by the way, there's still water at the start of the loop so you'll have to go straight up the switchbacks as normal

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fellas (and fellettes), Hans is looking pretty good at the moment apart from the usual offenders (leaky dams x2) so if you need your MTB fix, I suggest you get out there! Oh by the way, there's still water at the start of the loop so you'll have to go straight up the switchbacks as normal
Just further to this, I went out yesterday from pipe bridge up to Hberg and it's still pretty crappy. Drying but still boggy and not great to ride.

I blew a hole in my side wall when I was in that beat area of Hberg. Not the best place to walk out of and I did come across some very strange guys. I mean, that section was just wall to wall mud for long stretches and these guys are just casually walking along. Odd.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no good on that puncture Coaster - that's one place where I keep going even if I'm down to the rims.

with a few more sunny days I'm almost tempted to drop into the crit loop for a look.

Rode back from Banksia St yesterday to Pipe Bridge and around, puddles are drying out and there are plenty of dry lines now, freeway sections are smoking fast, most of trails are dry once you are up a bit from the river. next few months are best times to ride YTs .... no snakes, no mud, a bit of overgrowth but can't complain.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Just further to this, I went out yesterday from pipe bridge up to Hberg and it's still pretty crappy. Drying but still boggy and not great to ride.

I blew a hole in my side wall when I was in that beat area of Hberg. Not the best place to walk out of and I did come across some very strange guys. I mean, that section was just wall to wall mud for long stretches and these guys are just casually walking along. Odd.
they probably thought you looked pretty odd too................ i mean what is this guy doing on a bicycle, is he riding it to show off his tight rear end, is he cruising and using a bike to cover more ground (meat more guys) - surely he wouldnt be a straight guy out riding his bike aorund a wet / muddy / gay beat, that is stupid.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no good on that puncture Coaster - that's one place where I keep going even if I'm down to the rims.

with a few more sunny days I'm almost tempted to drop into the crit loop for a look.

Rode back from Banksia St yesterday to Pipe Bridge and around, puddles are drying out and there are plenty of dry lines now, freeway sections are smoking fast, most of trails are dry once you are up a bit from the river. next few months are best times to ride YTs .... no snakes, no mud, a bit of overgrowth but can't complain.
Yep, I got that feeling that if the rain holds off this week to the weekend they will be the best they've been for a long time. A few mud holes and that's it. And as you say, no snakes, perfect.

they probably thought you looked pretty odd too................ i mean what is this guy doing on a bicycle, is he riding it to show off his tight rear end, is he cruising and using a bike to cover more ground (meat more guys) - surely he wouldnt be a straight guy out riding his bike aorund a wet / muddy / gay beat, that is stupid.
Curse you John, you're onto me. Yes, it's all a front. The bike, the gear, it's all for the beat. Cutting the rip into the tire was the master plan. Justifies the walking.

Actually you're right, every time I've seen a "walker" in there they do give that "what hell are you doing" look.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Rode YT from Richmond to Willsmere Park and back. Only came across 3 puddles (and none of them covered the entire width of the track!)- tracks have dried out rather well. Of course this forecast for the next few days may change things rather drastically.

Note there is a fallen tree across the strava segment "Starpickets ascent" - think its been there for at least a week. Tried moving the thing but I think its going to need more then just 1 person to remove it :) Does anyone carry a saw when they go riding ;-)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode YT from Richmond to Willsmere Park and back. Only came across 3 puddles (and none of them covered the entire width of the track!)- tracks have dried out rather well. Of course this forecast for the next few days may change things rather drastically.

Note there is a fallen tree across the strava segment "Starpickets ascent" - think its been there for at least a week. Tried moving the thing but I think its going to need more then just 1 person to remove it :) Does anyone carry a saw when they go riding ;-)
yeah saw that fallen tree, bunny hop not an option. conditions are looking good, as long as there's no big rain tracks will stay rideable I reckon.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
yeah saw that fallen tree, bunny hop not an option. conditions are looking good, as long as there's no big rain tracks will stay rideable I reckon.
Did we pass you this morning? We were riding "up" that section and we passed a guy on what looked like a silver Giant Anthem 29er that was heading "down".

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did we pass you this morning? We were riding "up" that section and we passed a guy on what looked like a silver Giant Anthem 29er that was heading "down".
no wasn't me, I have been riding a CX to work, went over Pipe Bridge and headed up river. Saw the tree there on Monday night. think with this wind there could be a few more down.

Old C

Likes Bikes
Rode Hans last night, the tree is still there and too heavy for four. The mud has reduced dramatically, even around the top dam it is soft rather than muddy. There was even some dust kicking up in places. Don't suppose there is any chance that PV would be interested in putting in another 5km of single track?

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Rode Hans last night, the tree is still there and too heavy for four. The mud has reduced dramatically, even around the top dam it is soft rather than muddy. There was even some dust kicking up in places. Don't suppose there is any chance that PV would be interested in putting in another 5km of single track?
which tree? one fell yesterday with the winds at the start of the loop (since it wasn't there in the morning when I left for uni) but I don't know of any other tree...

Ah, you've just mentioned what is planned for the loop. George is our advocate (gcouyant on these forums) and he's been in discussions with PV for well over a year now about new singletrack. From what I've heard at PV, they're just trying to organise themselves (read: lots of paperwork for other projects) but once that is done, there may be some new trails in the future... Time frame? My estimate is mid 2013 but then again, who knows? I'm only speaking for the knowledge I gained by talking to the ranger as well as George, so you'd have to speak to George since he knows what's going on in regards to new trails! :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Dear fellow YT riders, :)

I haven't posted here in a while but I still lurk. I haven't ridden my MTB much either, but that's a longer story.

This is just a quick note to say hello to all of you, and to let JohnD know that I find most of his posts in the YT and 29er forums very troubling and deeply disturbing; on every level. :) John, please don't ever stop.

Cheers! Jim

BTW: If anyone sees a guy on a 29er wearing a man-pink jersey riding through Annulus loop, don't be scared, he's one of us. Hi Court!

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
BTW: If anyone sees a guy on a 29er wearing a man-pink jersey riding through Annulus loop, don't be scared, he's one of us. Hi Court!

Hi Jim! I also lurk on the CX bike on the YT as well now :) (whilst wearing the man pink Jersey of course!)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Dear fellow YT riders, :)

I haven't posted here in a while but I still lurk. I haven't ridden my MTB much either, but that's a longer story.

This is just a quick note to say hello to all of you, and to let JohnD know that I find most of his posts in the YT and 29er forums very troubling and deeply disturbing; on every level. :) John, please don't ever stop.

Cheers! Jim

Thank you - I think - I have been in a very dark spot lately and talking with all my e-buddys here is my only outlet. I am looking at flogging myself with a garden hose to release some tension and built up angst as riding the Yarra lately has been as exciting as changing nappies. Maybe we should all get together in the flesh on the Yarra one day - I have a portable fondu set which is pretty cool.
I did stumble across some serious dirt jumps on Saturday and must say - whoever built them has serious talent and put in so much time - they are amazing - above my abilities but amazing.

Beej1

I did stumble across some serious dirt jumps on Saturday and must say - whoever built them has serious talent and put in so much time - they are amazing - above my abilities but amazing.
Might I enquire as to the location of said jumps, such that I may peruse them?

Or ... in lesser words: Wear r the sik jumps bro?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thank you - I think - I have been in a very dark spot lately and talking with all my e-buddys here is my only outlet. I am looking at flogging myself with a garden hose to release some tension and built up angst as riding the Yarra lately has been as exciting as changing nappies. Maybe we should all get together in the flesh on the Yarra one day - I have a portable fondu set which is pretty cool.
No worries John.

I've been in a bit of a dark spot myself fighting a bad back and sciatica since June. This has kept me off the MTB for the last few months. It has been a real test for me to bounce back. Right now I can see some light at the end of a tunnel, which I hope is not a speeding train. :)

So much hard work just to feel pain free.

I'm hoping I can schedule a "return to the MTB" ride pretty soon. This is where I tentatively go out on my own and discover how much I've lost my feel for the trail and maybe rediscover my love of ST.

Yeah, I could see a get together in the future mate.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No worries John.

I've been in a bit of a dark spot myself fighting a bad back and sciatica since June. This has kept me off the MTB for the last few months. It has been a real test for me to bounce back. Right now I can see some light at the end of a tunnel, which I hope is not a speeding train. :)

So much hard work just to feel pain free.

I'm hoping I can schedule a "return to the MTB" ride pretty soon. This is where I tentatively go out on my own and discover how much I've lost my feel for the trail and maybe rediscover my love of ST.

Yeah, I could see a get together in the future mate.
jathanas, good to see you are going to be back on the mtb .... are you going to do another Otway Odyssey 100, sounds like you have some unfinished business there.