Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

Aussie Biker

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 37

What state do you live? Vic

How long have you been riding? Strarted Mountion biking in 1996, stopped totally in around 03, been back riding for around 6 months and loving it!! Why did I stop....

Whats styles of riding do you do? XC, through forests checking for new trails and 4wd tracks etc.
How often do you ride? 2-4 times a week.

Tell us about your bike/s? First MTB was a Balance Hard Tail, current 99 Specialiized FSR

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nope

Do you compete and at what level? A few races at Gembrooke, when 4 blokes raced at once. Not sure how long ago it was maybe 2001? It was on private property.

Any cycling highights worth posting? My cousin is a pro road racer.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Just joined so checking it out.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Riding on really windy days....I still ride though makes the still days more enjoyable. Oh and dogs chasing me through the bush when there owners can't control them..

Cheers

tobytj

Cannon Fodder
How old are you? 58
What state do you live? QLD
How long have you been riding? 4 years MTB
Whats styles of riding do you do? Nothing that requires more that 5 inches of suspension
How often do you ride? 3 mornings plus weekend
Tell us about your bike/s? Scott Scale
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Broken finger
Do you compete and at what level? Front up for the Flight centre epic each year.
Any cycling highights worth posting? No
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
Whats your biggest or favourite rant?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
How old are you? 33
What state do you live? NSW
How long have you been riding? since i was about 10 right through to high school i rode my mtb to school everyday after that i was off the bike for 9 years
what styles of riding do you do? XC/Am although my AM is very limited but it's my preferred style.
How often do you ride? couple of times a week... about 30km total
Tell us about your bike/s? Bmx as a kid but my love of Mtb started with a rigid '90 apollo cheetah in year 4 at primary school and had that until i finished my HSC. FF 9 years and got an avanti ridge rider hard tail when i got the bug again. then a giant AC as i though i wanted to ride DH... and now after some bike down time i got a '11 specialized stumpy FSR comp... loving riding so much again!
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? no but the reason for my most recent absence for a while was snowboarding shoulder disco in 2008.
Do you compete and at what level? only with myself and Strava ;)
Any cycling highights worth posting? getting my wife into riding
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? hahah the for sale... always wishing! anything to do with trail building/advocacy.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? fixie's... not a rant but we always take the piss out of them, mainly at the hipsters.

How old are you? 37
What state do you live? NSW-Hornsby Area
How long have you been riding? 3 Months
How often do you ride? 1-2 times a week at Hornsby Trails
Tell us about your bike/s? BMX of course... Haro Freestyle Master, a Mongoose Pro Comp, few others for ramp work
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No!
Do you compete and at what level? No, Looking at competing, need some advice on what I want to run in.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Fitting the 26 HT Norco into the back of the EvoVIII
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Newbie....
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? None as of yet!

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 36
What state do you live? VIC
How long have you been riding? Got my first MTB in about '87 (I think it was a Peugot)
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC/AM
How often do you ride? 1-2 per week
Tell us about your bike/s? 2013 Norco Sight Killer B, 1992 Orange Clockwork
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Punctured a lung about 10 yrs ago which kind of put me off riding much for a while. Just getting back into it.
Do you compete and at what level? Not yet.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Rode the London to Brighton a couple of times, not particularly tough but a load of fun.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? New to the forum, so not much yet.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? I'm not a big ranter. I might sometimes rant about people ranting.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
How old are you?

What state do you live?
Vic - eastern suburbs

How long have you been riding?
Every day till 15, started again casually 18 months ago and have got more serious in the last few months after discovering trail riding.

Whats styles of riding do you do?
BMX till 15, Trail riding ( single track ) last few months.

How often do you ride?
2-3 times a week.

Tell us about your bike/s?
Giant boulder, upgrade coming soon!

Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
Broken toes

Do you compete and at what level?
Raced BMX with a rediculously heavy bike and an enormous motorcycle helmet that made me look like an alien. ( over protective mum )

Any cycling highlights worth posting?
Actually completing my local loop without getting off and pushing, oh and not ending up 4m off the trail upside down grinning stupidly to myself while repeating " look where you want to go, not where you don't "

Pretty much all of them, I have a thirst for knowledge.

If you ask my kids I rant every day.

How old are you? 39 (The big 40 in March)

What state do you live? Vic (Sunbury)

How long have you been riding? Started in 2000 but have not done so since 2003. Am starting again now....what happened to my life?!?

Whats styles of riding do you do? Mainly single trail

How often do you ride? When ever I have a day off (Shift worker)

Tell us about your bike/s? About to pick up a Talon 29er 1 (I'm not full hard core so this will suit me fine, plus the budget - it's actually worth more than one of my cars)

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Only a dislocated shoulder when I did the cannonball run in 2001

Do you compete and at what level? No

Any cycling highlights worth posting? No

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Any

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Don't rant much unless I yell at the TV when the cricket or footy is on.

Milo_B

Squid

1. How old are you? 33
    What state do you live? Vic - Geelong
    How long have you been riding? 14 Years
    Whats styles of riding do you do? Road, XC & Intergalactic Commuter Cup
    How often do you ride? 4 - 6 Days a week
    Trek 5200 - upgraded to all Campag Record, + Eurus Wheels. Lots of sentimental attachment to the frame.
    2010 GT Zaskar Team
    Specialized Tri Cross Sport

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Broken Hand, Dislocated Elbow. Losing bark doesn't count does it?

Do you compete and at what level? Some XC Racing. Somewhat around the bowels of A grade in local grass-roots racing.
    Any cycling highights worth posting? A few B Grade wins at the local grass roots events...
    What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? XC, Trading Area, Vets & General Discussion

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Dunno..... Lemme get back to you.

Chris.D

Squid
Hi all, Ive just found this thread....I did say hi in the newby section but 60+ views and no welcome makes me wonder so here I am.

How old are you?

What state do you live?
Nth Turramurra NSW

Just got back on the bike after 2yrs due to A/C joint opp and mallet fracture on ring finger. Prior to that my first mountain bike was about 4yrs back. Prior to that it was skate boards but that came to a stop after coming off and breaking both hands and left elbow plus massive road rash. So bikes with gears are still rather new to me.

Ive been around manly dam a number of times and enjoy that, tried a few tracks behind pennant hill ovals. Also riding the fire trails around bobbin head. I really like the single track stuff with little drops and the like...nothing extreem.

How often do you ride?
4 times a week after work for about an hour on fire trails to clear the head after work...and probably most weekends with the kids on the local fire trails. Im looking forward to going to Hornsby and having a go as well as riding with the kids there.

Scott Aspect 20...hard tail....its a great bike.
Norco Shpre Three...just got it and have really only used it on the fire trails so looking forward to taking it around manly dam or to Hornsby.

No...thank goodness.

No

Any cycling highights worth posting?
No

Too new to answer

Tax's in Australia

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Hi and welcome Chris! Us vets are much friendlier than the general populace ;)
Look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Craig from Adelaide

How old are you?47
What state do you live? SA
How long have you been riding? Since 1983
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC.
How often do you ride? 3-4 times / week including night rides
Tell us about your bike/s? 2012 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 -selling to move up to 29er S-Works Epic Carbon SRAM
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? 10 days ago fractured distal clavicle and 5 ribs. Had it plated and now grounded for 8 weeks!
Do you compete and at what level? C-grade open, and Masters in State Titles
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Vets and general discussions.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Still deciding.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
Hi all I'm Jono & I turned 30 back on 8th of Jan

How old are you? 30
How long have you been riding? 10+ yrs
Whats styles of riding do you do? DH, XC, DJ, Trials & BMX/street
How often do you ride? not enough
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant: glory 8 FR-1, trace, Echo: pure street, Haro: X1, & building a new DJ bike
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? broken color bone & often sprained wrists/ankles
Do you compete and at what level? nope but would love to at some stage
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? trail building, DH, DJ & AM

Last edited:

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi All, long time lurker posting now. Want to get myself a 29er, and this place seems to be the place to be.

How old are you? 33
How long have you been riding? Since about 3
Whats styles of riding do you do? Commute
How often do you ride? 3 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Seek S Modded, Surly Steam Roller, Want to get a 29er
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? 1 x Broken arm, selected cuts bruises
Do you compete and at what level? Nope, but life is a daily competition
Any cycling highlights worth posting? Watching a guy instructing a rowing crew on the yarra cycling along, misjudged the curve in the track and he rode straight in to the yarra.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Fixed.org. australian cycling forums
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Sh!t drivers. doesn't matter if I'm driving or riding. There is nothing worse.
Can I update this?

How old are you? 36
How long have you been riding? Since about 3
Whats styles of riding do you do? Commute, XC and Road
How often do you ride? unemployed, and unfortunately only 1 a week now, and I have to push myself to do it. finding work is a job in itself.
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Seek S Modded, Cadel Evans 2011 BMC SLR01, Blacksheep Ti 29er SS
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? 1 x Broken arm, selected cuts bruises, (glad that hasn't changed)
Do you compete and at what level? Nope, but life is a daily competition
Any cycling highlights worth posting? UPDATE, riding with Cadel Evans. and then watching him drop me fast up 1 in 20.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Fixed.org. australian cycling forums
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Sh!t drivers. doesn't matter if I'm driving or riding. There is nothing worse.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 41.
What state do you live? Victoria.
How long have you been riding? On and off for about a year or two.
Whats styles of riding do you do? On road I commute a lot with a flat bar, and offroad is XC, but look at moving into the AM world with a new project I am building.
How often do you ride? About 2 - 3 times a week.
Tell us about your bike/s? Currently own 3 bikes - Scott Sub 30 (flatbar for commuting); a Scott Scale 20 (for XC); and the project bike - a Specialized Enduro 2010 (AM).
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? As a youth - MANY! As an adult, not really - unless you take into consideration my ego.
Do you compete and at what level? Have done some of Melbournes bike rides (like the MS Cycle event), but hoping to undertake my first XC event this year.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Not really, other than my ongoing aggression whilst riding on the road - but I am sure anyone who has riding on the road will have experienced it also.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Other than this one, I tend to visit the MudRhino forum (4WD related) now and again :)
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? That one day, little white bikes and little black bikes will ride together...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Been kicking around the main bit for a few months, but thought I should poke my head in here.

How old are you? 36
How long have you been riding? 30 years. MTBing for 5 years
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC, commuting, Human-Powered Vehicle racing (yeah, i'm one of those freaks)
How often do you ride? Daily
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Anthem 26er, '05 Giant TCR Comp. 2 play roadie, Giant OCR 3 communter, custom-built race trike
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No, just the usual bumps, scrapes & one concussion.
Do you compete and at what level? XC enduro lower B-grade hack
Any cycling highights worth posting? Not MTB, but part of the first team to break 1000km in a 24-hour HPV race in Australia
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General (Parts & Stuff in particular), XC/Enduro
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Shithouse drivers & mandatory helmet laws.

corroded

Cannon Fodder
How old are you? 37
How long have you been riding? 25 years since my first MTB (a Marin Palisades that took me months if not years to save up for)
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC
How often do you ride? A daily commute on my SS, only just got my MTB over here so hoping to explore the trails most weekends
Tell us about your bike/s? Rocky Mountain Blizzard, about seven years old and basically a classic steel hardtail. Got a 29er on the way so I can keep up in races - it's a steel hardtail...
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? My Dad used to 'find' bikes in the local tip and do them up for our birthdays. My second or third proper bike was one such present. On its inaugural ride down the street I popped a wheelie and the front wheel dropped out of the forks and I went teeth first into a lamppost. So much blood. Dentists have been kept busy ever since.
One early ride on my Marin I was racing our dog downhill. At the bottom was a single railway sleeper bridge over a big ditch. Regrettably, I gave the dog right of way over the bridge and chose the ditch. Went flying about 20ft and broke the frame and forks.

Do you compete and at what level? My first ride in 18 months was a marathon (the Otway Odyssey) - hope to do lots more.
Any cycling highights worth posting? A road ride in Italy with Eddy Merckx was a privilege. I'm lucky to have ridden a fair bit in Europe and the US and looking forward to seeing more of Australia and NZ.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Any where I can persuade riders to show me round!
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Rant? I'm a repressed Brit, I just bottle it up. (FWIW, the helmet laws here are stupid.)

cammas

Seamstress
Hi all

I started a thread in Vets without introducing myself which I guess is a bit rude so here I am

How old are you?
38 (39 next month)

What state do you live?
Vic

Use to ride the BMX and the road bike quite use to ride into town alot (30klms each way) till I got my license then like many stopped until about 8 years ago went on a health kick (quit smoking) started riding again, moved back to Woodend not far from the Wombat track and got introduced to mountain biking and if you ask the Missus have been addicted ever since!

XC and all mountain/trail riding, my son has tried to con me into DH which he rides but I don't seem to have the cojuonies for it :lol:

How often do you ride?
Try to get a couple of times a week at the moment working 3 on 4 off so got bit free time but doing work on the house chews into riding time. I also do a fair chunk of track work on our local trail but mainly through winter when the ground is softer (not so hard on the back)

The current love of my life is my new Santa Cruz Tallboy LTa that I built from frame up (first build from scratch which can be found here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...allboy-LTa-(Patience-is-a-virtue-well-almost)) also have a Gary Fisher hardtail which at the moment is in pieces due to me not being able to wait to finish building the Tallboy so I have pinched its brakes and now cranks so it does not ride so well at the moment but it will be making comeback as a dedicated SS build! before that a number of Giants, Anthem X, Trance X and a Talon.

Went OTB a few years back due to a fallen a tree and too much front brake ended up with a dislocated shoulder and torn tendon for the clavicle which was sticking up against my skin. Then after they rebuilt it when doing physio I was telling them of pains through the elbow a few more X-rays and they realized I had broken my elbow as well 3 to 4 months later mind you. I also had some reasonably other injuries but due to motorbikes

Done a few enduros over the years 1 24hr in a team of 4, 1 12 hr in pairs (which went pearshaped) then its mainly been 6hrs most have been solo and the last few were SS which they way I prefer it that way I can't go hard at the start and burn out, SS constant and steady pace from start to finish,just the other week did my first all mountain race which I had ball doing, something different for me.

Not from me but the eldest boy was quite good on the XC/enduro scene before he started DH.

29ers, for sale, PYR, general, I guess a bit everything

I guess the wheel size war, each to their own I reckon. I ride a 29er but does that mean everyone should ride one? Umm no.
Should bike companies only make 29ers? Umm no,
All I say have a go and make your decision, I don't preach I just enjoy my own decision. My eldest son summed it up pretty good he came riding with me one day and he rode my 29er hardtail, afterwards we were talking and asked him what he thought and he said "I can see why you ride it but its not me" mind you his near 6 foot and I am not and when it took for a spin up and down the street he was monoing the length of the block on it and said it was nicely balanced. A DH bike is still god damn sexy, like the new Kona carbon frame they are testing at the moment the name escapes me but if I was to race DH that floats my boat.

How old are you? 39
How long have you been riding? back recently after a verrrrrrrrrrrry long (ie decade +) break
Whats styles of riding do you do? I'm a hack a do a lot of walking it
How often do you ride? A few times weekly as time allows
Tell us about your bike/s? New toy 2013 Giant Trance X0
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Usual skin grazes, head knocks
Do you compete and at what level? No but if there was a Z- grade i'd consider it
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Everything
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Common sense is not so common

Vas