VIC Lysterfield Park

B-Proof

Likes Dirt
Have you guys given any thought about starting a thread in 'The Watering Hole'? For general track, condition updates, and even trail building days. I must admit I wouldn't generally look in the trail building threads for track closures etc..

Anyhows, just a thought.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Have you guys given any thought about starting a thread in 'The Watering Hole'? For general track, condition updates, and even trail building days. I must admit I wouldn't generally look in the trail building threads for track closures etc..

Anyhows, just a thought.
Yeah good point, i was thinking the same thing, especially coming into the winter months where there could be more track closures etc due to the rain....

I was looking forward to trying to get get out this weekend for ride at Lysterfield, but considering the rain the last few days and what is predicted to come, dont think it will be a wise move, maybe just a cruisey ride along the Warburton trail.....

Although i still think i will ring Trailmix just to double check track conditions first.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Hi Zam

trail report has been accurate since December. All trails are in excellent condition even after all the latest rain, other than a few mud holes.....

We do need to change the report so it is easier to change, but when we have a trail closer it is placed on the front of the website and on the top of the forum page.

No perfect but we are working on it,

just a reminder next trail build day is May 19th would be great to see some new faces.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate for clarifying, will put the 19 the in the diary and try to make it down, I do appreciate all the work you guys do so only fare I lend a hand when I can.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Yeah, we saw dozens of riders out there all day while we stuck to the fire trails and gravel climbs of Churchill Park.
My attempt to take the short singletrack section that links Donelan to East-West break resulted in a 5mm twig destroying my RD and hanger on my cross bike within, I kid you not, about 25 meters from leaving the fire-trail :(
On that note but not really (shows my wierd way of thinking/linking things together)

Getting from the nearest train station - Lysterfield with minimal roads.

I'm Guessing dandy station then it appears there is a path behind the shops that ends up just near stud/monash.. Then just zig-zag through churchill park and hook right somewhere? Safe to wing it or is there a preferred route?

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Getting from the nearest train station - Lysterfield with minimal roads.
Take the train to Belgrave and head down through Birds Land into the north of the Park along Dargon Track. Should take you about 30 minutes to get there and its a nice ride. From there cross wellington road, head straight down boys farm track and smash Follow Me to get you started. :)

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Just a reminder that this weekend (16/6/2012)is a Trail building day...

We will meet at Trailmix at 8am & 10am

The only thing you need to bring is good shoes and some water.

If you have a favorite long handled shovel bring that!

Last edited:

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Just a reminder that this weekend (16/6/2012)is a Trail building day...

We will meet at Trailmix at 8am & 10am

The only thing you need to bring is good shoes and some water.

If you have a favorite long handled shovel bring that!
Are we building your new flow trail Andy?

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
Well if you turn up you may find out!

Only joshin ya mate. Yep we are going to build a new awesome trail, but i will also need some volunteers to go for a walk clearing out some puddles on the rec trails!

Propagate

Likes Dirt
How is everything at lysterfield these days? Particularly follow me?
Follow Me is still closed, as are the Buckles, Middle & the IMBA trail.

Trailmix track, State Course (CGT), Red Gum, Hug and Blair are open, along with fire roads. The open trails are in good shape in the main, no idea what the clsoed trails are like at the moment, but judging by the amount of cocks ignoring the signs last night and riding them anyway then I'm sure someone would be able to let you know.....

http://lysterfieldmtb.com/trail-condition-report/

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
I'm not quite sure of the name of the trail, add to that I'm crap at reading maps, but the Farm trail thats got a lot of jumps and berms, i think its in the north east corner of the park, is that open?

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I'm not quite sure of the name of the trail, add to that I'm crap at reading maps, but the Farm trail thats got a lot of jumps and berms, i think its in the north east corner of the park, is that open?
I'm guessing that you mean Follow Me, if so then no, that's not currently open.

Parks Vic website currently has a map showing open/closed trails, (which is actually slightly wrong as it shows lower Buckle as open - which it is not as once you're in the park you'll see there's a closed trail sign at the trail head).

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/546150/closure-map.pdf

Basically, everything north of Lamberts fire trail is still closed.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Follow Me is still closed, as are the Buckles, Middle & the IMBA trail.

Trailmix track, State Course (CGT), Red Gum, Hug and Blair are open, along with fire roads. The open trails are in good shape in the main, no idea what the clsoed trails are like at the moment, but judging by the amount of cocks ignoring the signs last night and riding them anyway then I'm sure someone would be able to let you know.....

http://lysterfieldmtb.com/trail-condition-report/
yeah, I've been riding the weekends at Lysterfield after my accident (only firetrails until I get fit again) and its amazing how many MTB riders can't read

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
its not that they cant read at all..... its that lysterfield riders can teleport to mid closed trail sections thereby missing the signs placed at either end.

Out building last weekend the usual transcript went.

'trails closed mate'

'oh had no idea didnt see any signs'

'they are in the middle i.e. centre of the trail tread, so you have to ride round them'

'oh we didnt enter the trail from that way so we must have missed them'

well i know there are no other ways in so they must have amazing teleporting powers....please please teach me them so i can save a fortune in shuttle uplifts and just teleport around to all the cool downhill sections on the trails thereby making an endless descent!

Propagate

Likes Dirt
To be fair though, the consistency in signs was lacking last night.

Snipe for example, is listed as open on the PV map, but has a closed sign at the damn wall end, and no sign at the Blair Witch end. If you were running down from Blair then it appears to be open. If you read the PV map, it appears to be open, if you ride from Trail mix track it's signed as closed.

Lower Buckle, is signed as closed from the lake end, listed as closed on LDTR site, shown as open on PV map and not signed at Lamberts end. So, if you were riding a lake loop, onto Lamberts and passed the Lamberts end of Buckle you'd think it was open.

There were definitely riders out last night that "know" whats closed, but rode anyway, but there were also a lot of newbie looking riders out that may not look at PV site, or LDTR site and go by what they pass at a trail head. Can't blame them for taking what appears to be an open trail head only to find a closed sign at the other end when they pop out.

The new closed signs are great with the single spike and laminated notice, way better than the old orange tape, but without consistency, signs at both ends and unison between PV's trail list, trail map and LDTR's condition report then it's a little unfair to blanketly berate anyone you see pop out of a closed trail, as there will absolutely be genuine cases of not knowing the trail was closed.