29er Tyre Thread

crampy

Likes Bikes
Rear: Maxxis aspen 2.1 29er @ 40psi
Front: Maxxis ardent 2.35 29er or Maxxis aspen 2.1 29er @ 38psi (depending on the conditions)

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
be carefull how high you go. You can destroy the tire and rim not much more from 60psi..
Too true..

The sun ringle rims, just like the stans will have a very low max pressure recommendation because of the low sidewall of the rim. I have the expert version of the wheels, and they pop the tyre on nice and easy. I am running WTB tyres in a 2.2/2.3 size and ride them offroad with 24PSI front and 28PSI rear with no worries.

I am hesitant to inflate to over 40 psi to bead them. The removable valve core assists greatly with inflation.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yes I pumped up a Racing Ralph to commute to 45psi and forgot about it - well it exploded, bent the rim (Flow) and destroyed the tyre.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New Epic came with 2.0" The Captain and 1.95" Renegade S-Works tyres.
To my discovery the Renegade is an awful winter tyre. Have been sliding all over the tracks. Im sure it will be a sweet setup for summer, just not for winter.
Was after some cheap, winter tyres which I could thrash about for the rainy reason and then once the weather warms up again ill swap the S-Works tyres back on.
Ended up buying a pair of Schwalbe Rapid Rob's in 2.25" from good old CRC.
These are the old style Racing Ralph tread pattern in a cheaper casing. $21 a pop, I couldnt care less what happens to them this season.

Will report back on how they go.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I've just ordered one of the new 2012 Specialized Fast Traks in an S-works casing at 2.2" width.. I'll be swapping an existing 2.0 Fast Trak control version from the front of my Anthem 29er to the back, and replacing it with the new tyre. I'll be taking an S-works renegade that has served well (although is looking a little tired) from the back in anticipation of a slightly wetter track for the Capital punishment (where the renegade will struggle)

Should arrive on Thursday ($89). I'll throw it onto the scales for a quick weigh-in befor setting it up tubeless - did anyone want any other measurements before I do so? The specialized website puts the weight as ~570g.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=65093
Sigh, well would you believe it, but i've still not got this bloody tyre. I'm starting to think that the LBS I ordered through is taking the piss. I remember specialized tyres being hard to track down last time i went through this process, but find it difficult to believe that they can't get one in in 3.5 months.

Are others coming across particularly bad supply issues at the moment?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I would tell everyone about my new favourite tyres.
WTB Bronson on the rear.
Nice and beefy with heaps of tread including nice grippy side nobs.
Hans Dampf on the front.
MASSIVE tyre with a tread pattern like a Racing Ralph on steroids.
The HD is the Trailstar tubeless ready version and aired up with a floor pump with none of the usual mucking around
I am currently running about 24psi rear and 20psi front (on my pump's gauge) but I reckon I can lose some more pressure in the front.
Only downside (if you can call it that) is how slow it rolls on pavement.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I'll agree with your sentiments regarding the Hans Dampf. I had them on front and rear (both 2.35), trailstar, front and pacestar on the rear of my 29er. They are almost MX, look a bit OTT. The lack of roll ability is the only downside.
I've put a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear instead, a HD is just too much tyre for out the back.

A HD trailstar for winter in the front and a HD pacestar up front for summer might be perfect. :)

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll agree with your sentiments regarding the Hans Dampf. I had them on front and rear (both 2.35), trailstar, front and pacestar on the rear of my 29er. They are almost MX, look a bit OTT. The lack of roll ability is the only downside.
I've put a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear instead, a HD is just too much tyre for out the back.

A HD trailstar for winter in the front and a HD pacestar up front for summer might be perfect. :)
Yeah I could not imagine a HD on front and back.
Only reason I am using the HD up front is because I am running rigid and wanted a bit more cushion.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
It's been a while since people posted in this thread - what's everyone running these days? I'm going to have to investigate tyres other than specialized which i've been using for some time now (Fast Trak front and rear: 2.2 s-works, and 2.0 control respectively) as I always have issues sourcing them

Racing Ralphs in a snakeskin look tempting, but aren't the cheapest. I think I might go down the path of trying some Ikon EXOs after I race the fling

Glen2

Likes Dirt
It's been a while since people posted in this thread - what's everyone running these days? I'm going to have to investigate tyres other than specialized which i've been using for some time now (Fast Trak front and rear: 2.2 s-works, and 2.0 control respectively) as I always have issues sourcing them

Racing Ralphs in a snakeskin look tempting, but aren't the cheapest. I think I might go down the path of trying some Ikon EXOs after I race the fling
I have these for sale if you are having problems sourcing new.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
I'm running the ikons after quite a few bad sidewall tears on the Ralph's.

Loving the ikons in the dry, a little lacking on loose steep climbs, but fairly predictable for me in the corners which I like. Nice and light considering there durability.
The snakeskins RRs are too heavy IMO

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
I'm running the ikons after quite a few bad sidewall tears on the Ralph's.

Loving the ikons in the dry, a little lacking on loose steep climbs, but fairly predictable for me in the corners which I like. Nice and light considering there durability.
I have only just put ralph's on and already torn the sidewall on the rear. Might try the ikons I think.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
In our drier and lighter country we've had a lot of positives out of the GEAX AKA and Saguaro tyres...particularly in the TNT casing. Comes in a 2.2 width. Neither are something I'd use on the Sandstone Curtain but out here in the scrub they've been rather fine.
img1874.jpgimg1939.jpg

A mate of mine is about to give the Vredestein Spotted Cat 29x2.0 tubeless a roll...similar sort of pattern to the AKA

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Thanks - but primarily after the Fast Traks in a Control casing
2.0 Fast Track 'controls' are out of stock. they are very rare at the moment. Your best bet is to look for floor stock in dealers. I was in NZ the other day and found 1, so I bought it for a friend who was looking in Aus for it.
Good Luck.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just by the by, weight really isnt a big deal in tyres - the tests show its about rolling resistance, and this is usually a function of grip and also the ability of the sidewalls to deform to the terrain in offroad situations.

As it happens, in testing the RaRas in snakeskin are indeed slower than the std evo's, but the cause is the ability of the non SS to be supple and deform over a rough surface at low pressure - But you get tyre wall tears as a result.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
2.0 Fast Track 'controls' are out of stock. they are very rare at the moment. Your best bet is to look for floor stock in dealers. I was in NZ the other day and found 1, so I bought it for a friend who was looking in Aus for it.
Good Luck.
yep - have been in regular contact with the guys at Jet who are always helpful.. and sympathetic :)

Old C

Likes Bikes
I think that weight in the tyre, particularly on a 29er is a big deal. Compare a RaRa at 510g each, versus say a Crossmark at 800 grams each, this will be noticeable on the hill climbs. That is over half a kilo or rotating mass difference. Some people would pay $1000 to get that weight off their bike.