29er wheels

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Really, That high PSI ?

I use SunRingle Charger Expert wheels on a Niner EMD with Niner carbon fork and regularly run 26PSI front and 30PSI rear with Wolverine and Exiwolf tyres in a 2.3 size. I weigh 94kg, closer to 100kg with camelbak and riding gear.
I`m with JD on this one.
26 and 30 PSI is just too low for me.
I run WTB Wolverine 2.2 tyres on all 3 29ers and weigh in at 100+kg with all the gear for a full days ride.
Anything as low as 30PSI and I would be smacking the rims and squirming around way too much. Whippets can get away with it, but I certainly can`t.

Cheers
MH

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
psi is so dependant on where you ride and how you ride. On my local trails, at 86kg (no gear), i run 20psi front, 25psi rear, never hit the rim. But go exploring on different tracks and I need 25 and 32 - just because I might be sitting down when I go over a root/rock whatever - but on my own trails because i know themso well, i am never anything other than very light over rocks/roots etc.

I've also come to the conclusion that getting a tyre thats a tight fit is the most important factor for tubeless - burping and rolling a tyre off are a real pita, and heaps of tyres go on to easily, and thus can come off too easily - if it goes on without a struggle, its the wrong fit for the rim - if it takes 3 tyre levers, a full swear jar, sore hands, and an abject fear that you couldnt possibly get it off trailside - youre on the money. ;)

hilo

Likes Bikes
110kg here or so, running always above 30 tubeless, usually closer to 40, tend to use Nobby Nic 2.25 or Purgatory in a similar size. My fave rims are my 36 hole Stans Flow with the Phil Wood SS hubs. Bombproof. My fave wheels so far. Rather lose weight in my belly than wheels at the moment.

I seem to do OK on my XT 29er wheels; I tend to be a gentle rider.

0psi

Eats Squid
^^^ I'm at work. Clicked thread. Picture appeared on screen. Made strange involuntary noise. Everyone thinks I'm weird. Thanks.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I suspect that is the hub they are using in their new wheels, because they are runnin straight pull spokes also.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Are straight pull spokes better? If so why?
I think they could probably run higher spoke tension with less flex for a stiffer wheel? Am I close?

Bodin

GMBC
Are straight pull spokes better? If so why?
I think they could probably run higher spoke tension with less flex for a stiffer wheel? Am I close?
I think it's a grey area - especially on 29ers.

*Eliminating the J-bend theoretically makes the spoke stronger.
*Lengthening the spoke theoretically makes the wheel weaker.

Interested to hear some real-world knowledge from experienced wheelsmiths...

Knut

Troll hunter
Straight bladed spokes in prebuilt wheel assemblies have way more tension than handbulits.

Handbuilt straight pokes are not reccommended for braking.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
I think it's a grey area - especially on 29ers.

*Eliminating the J-bend theoretically makes the spoke stronger.
*Lengthening the spoke theoretically makes the wheel weaker.

Interested to hear some real-world knowledge from experienced wheelsmiths...
1. Eliminating the J-bend doesn't make the wheel stronger, it only eliminates failure of elbow but straight pull spokes and hubs suffer from other failures, such as lug failure and spoke end sheering so it is much of a muchness really between J-bend and straight pull. If the wheel is built well at the start with balanced tensions, then spoke failure of either configuration will be a long way down the track.

2. If the same components are used, eg DT Swiss Comp spokes and Stans Crest rims, and they are built exactly the same, eg same recommended tensions, then the 29er will be more flexible than the 26" equivalent due to simple geometrics and leverage.

It is a fallacy that straight pull wheels have higher spoke tensions than J-bend wheels. The rim dictates the limit to which spoke tensions can be applied not the configuration of the hub. Some/most J-bend hubs don't allow radial lacing so this needs to be kept in mind also.

A downside to straight pull hubs is they limit the spoke count of the wheel due to limited hub real estate. As such, to get the strength, due to lower spoke counts, a heavier rim needs to be used to prevent spoke hole failure. As such, heavier riders generally don't go for wheels with straight pull spokes for this reason.

Edit: Hope hubs come in 32 hole straight pull so the low spoke count is now a mute point. So I would assume other manufacturers would be looking at doing the same.

Last edited:

brettd

Likes Bikes
Waiting to put these on mine..

Hubs: Black Novatec D811SB front & D812SB rear, 32 hole, QR,
Spokes: Black DT Swiss Competition spokes with black aluminium nipples,
Rims: Black Stans Crest 32 hole on the front and Black Stans Crest 32 hole

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really, That high PSI ?

I use SunRingle Charger Expert wheels on a Niner EMD with Niner carbon fork and regularly run 26PSI front and 30PSI rear with Wolverine and Exiwolf tyres in a 2.3 size. I weigh 94kg, closer to 100kg with camelbak and riding gear.

The rims bottom out once in a while, but are still nice and true with abount 1700 klm on them. That is commuting, training and xc races on them.. Cant fault them..
agree

I'm running standard Giant wheel on my Anthem 2013 X0 and running 25 front and 30 rear, using Crossmark wired 2.1 for commuting cross country to work

also running SunRingle blackflag pros with the same PSI front and rear, nobby nic front and racing ralph rear and my riding weight would be about 110kg loaded

both running Stans tubeless, rim tape only

no issues so far

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
xtr hubs

seen a few amazing deals on 26 inch wheels. xtr 26 new for US$360 a pair and mavic wheels for similar prices.
if you are in need of some new wheels Almost worth buying the wheels for the hub alone and then building up a 29 set of wheels with the XTR hubs on some stans rims etc.

bit of a waste of a set of beautiful xtr wheels but might be a cheap hub option.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
seen a few amazing deals on 26 inch wheels. xtr 26 new for US$360 a pair and mavic wheels for similar prices.
if you are in need of some new wheels Almost worth buying the wheels for the hub alone and then building up a 29 set of wheels with the XTR hubs on some stans rims etc.

bit of a waste of a set of beautiful xtr wheels but might be a cheap hub option.
Only thing to look out for there is that you might have trouble finding rims with the right spoke-count to match the hubs; the hubs in the XTR wheelset are not the same as the stand-alone XTR hubs (lobed for 24 straight-pull spokes, rather than conventional flanges for 32 spokes).

quiggs

Likes Dirt
You will also find Shimano hubs don't have interchangeable hub flanges if you decide down the track to get a frame with 142 x 12 rear end. so will be stuck with what ever your original decision is as far as spacing goes.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Ness carbon wheel set off Torpedo7. I paid $750 plus $30 for the 15mm spacers. They have since been on sale for $699 so keep an eye on their sales if you're interested.
I really knew nothing about these wheels when I got them, but figured someone had to go first. So I thought I would give them a try.
Pretty good so far. I had a small issue doing the cassette up as the qr spacer on the rear wheel has quite a large diameter, so some machining of my cassette tool was required.
They are quite a flash looking wheel set with all the red anodizing and bladed straight pull spokes. And of course the carbon rims.
My tyres went on and inflated without any drama using a compressor. May be fine with a floor pump?? I just used the pre installed tape and some Stan's valves.
I put these wheels on my Giant XTC Composite 29er. They replaced the stock giant wheels which are stiff and heavy.
The ness wheels weighed in at 1490g pair with the front 15mm adapters fitted. With pre installed rim tape but no valves. That's pretty closed to their claimed 1470.
This has taken about 700grams off my giant. 1100g if you include the tubes that were fitted. The difference is quite noticeable especially on climbs and acceleration. I never ride fast and am generally towards the back of the pack. But at a recent 3 hour club race I seemed to be passing a lot of people on the fast road sections and climbs. Unusual for me.
I haven't noticed any loss off stiffness and the xtc still has that super stiff responsive feel to it. But now it feels a little quicker.