Booked for bike rack????

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have complete control of where my bike rack goes........ it follows the car. Having bikes mounted to it doesn't change that.

I can also see it when reversing just as well as you can see the rear bumper or boot of most modern/sloping sedans.
Well I know man, I think it's a semi-bullshit law as well. All I'm trying to say is that when there's a large hunk of metal behind you car (ie, unless you drive with your eyes glued to the rear view mirror) you're not looking at it. That isn't a problem as such, but when you brake suddenly and there's some knob tailgating you (yes their problem I know), that hunk of metal is going right through their windscreen/helmet right at head height.
With bikes on the rack, it's a lot more obvious and visible for the people following you - even though they should be aware anyway, and shouldn't be tailgating.

Put there in place to guard against the lowest common denominator...

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These laws are stupid, as far as i know here in vic, you can drive with an open beer and drink it.
but you cant drive with an empty bike rack.
What has this state come too

Ivan

Eats Squid
These laws are stupid, as far as i know here in vic, you can drive with an open beer and drink it.
but you cant drive with an empty bike rack.
What has this state come too

But can you drive around with an empty beer?

cobba

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Johnn

Squid
C/- Harold f..... Scrubby's Pedestrian Council (whatever that is)

The Australian Design Rule 42.9.1 states:

"No vehicle shall be equipped with any object or fitting, not technically essential which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person."

It was not the bike rack mount. It was a pedantic cop.

jrewing

Eats Squid
He's such a tool... I googled them an called them whilst driving...oooohhh, I heard him on the radio. That fucker answered too, I gave him a serve cause I was in a poor mood. Felt great afterwards!

Ol Harold haha

takai

Eats Squid
The Australian Design Rule 42.9.1 states:

"No vehicle shall be equipped with any object or fitting, not technically essential which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person."

It was not the bike rack mount. It was a pedantic cop.
Technically a bull bar fails this criteria too.

I have been pulled over on the way to the airport for having a Grip rack on the back of the car. Cop insisted that he follow me to the airport to confirm that i was actually picking up friends with bikes...

Sheer waste of time IMHO, and also the primary reason why i have a Thule 970 for the lighter bikes now.

Johnn

Squid
Should not have mentioned him or his organisation.

Might use the the number of times his name, or the council (whatever that is) pops up for his next funding submission.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Technically a bull bar fails this criteria too.

I have been pulled over on the way to the airport for having a Grip rack on the back of the car. Cop insisted that he follow me to the airport to confirm that i was actually picking up friends with bikes...

Sheer waste of time IMHO, and also the primary reason why i have a Thule 970 for the lighter bikes now.
Yes and technically half the plastic trim on the car not essential.....in an accident it will cause litter..........what the hell are the law writers coming to?

Cant have a roof rack either then? Maybe that low flying news chopper will get its landing skid tangled in your roof...... FFS....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Vic law - from http://www.lawhandbook.org.au/handbook/ch10s03s03.php

A bicycle carrier is a device "attached to the rear of a motor vehicle to enable one or more bicycles to be carried by the vehicle, but does not include a trailer" (RR.400(1)). RR.405 states that "[a] person must not drive on a road a motor vehicle that has an empty bicycle carrier attached to the rear of the vehicle" (max. penalty: 3 pu).

As far as I can tell roof mounted bike carriers are fine to have on the car when not in use? anyone know any different?

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yes and technically half the plastic trim on the car not essential.....in an accident it will cause litter..........what the hell are the law writers coming to?

Cant have a roof rack either then? Maybe that low flying news chopper will get its landing skid tangled in your roof...... FFS....
I'm with Takai on this one.

A bull bar will cause a lot more injury to a pedestrian when hit than a regular plastic bumper bar, protrudes from the vehicle and is definately not essential. Maybe people should keep them in the back of their car and only attach them when they drive in the country as there is not much chance of hitting a Roo or Bull in most Aussie cities. Ridiculous?

Yep, the whole argument is ridiculous as is the law.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Australia: The nanna country. This stuff is so over the top and just gives more fuel to the thought that this country is just catering for dopey stupid fucks. How about the Police start booking dumbshits who didn't see your bike rack and walked into it? How about they book the dickhead for neg driving who drove far too close to the back of you and ran into the rack? Actually, how about they start booking stupid people for giving birth to equally stupid children to grow up and become even more stupid.
I've done all the essential stuff I need to do to make sure my rack is legal so if John E Law shoves a fine at me then I won't pay it. I actually carry the RTA regulations in the car so I can shove it under their nose. I'm not the problem, my rack isn't a problem, the dickhead behind me is the problem and let me assure that he'd have more to worry about than some dents on his car if he came too close or even hit one of my bikes. Man, I would duct tape him to my hot muffler and drive him around a while well before the cops showed to book him.
How about.......you watch what you're doing when near a road. Like....der.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
And this is why we have a court system so said lady can take her fine to a magistrate who is likely to throw it out. The Officer is likely to have to front court, wasting his time, and probably be told so by the magistrate. Ditto for an empty bike rack with the right reason, ie picking up a new bike, to/from the airport, etc. Agreed, that driving around needlessly with a rack is asking for trouble and is just a bit dumb, but as we all know, 'The Law is an ass'.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
but when you brake suddenly and there's some knob tailgating you (yes their problem I know), that hunk of metal is going right through their windscreen/helmet right at head height.
I don't know any bike racks that stick out at head height that are long enough to smack you in the head while in a car!
Granted, if on the back of a cruiser it'd be high, but still won't reach you.
If your own a motor bike, you fuck any way if you hit the back of the car! Bike rack makes no difference!
And if a pedestrian is walking that fast into the back your car, they'd be that stupid that they deserve all the injuries they get!

Lastly, what's the difference between that adaptor and say the sway bar adaptor that the caravan brigade have permanently connected to their 4x4s?

Xavo, my comments are not directed at you.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Another law that generally goes unenforced until you're unfortunate enough to get an officer in a bad mood.

That said, it's not as bad as being booked for not having a H-pattern on your gear knob...