Intermittent Fasting

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
Just had a read of Dr. John M. Berardi's ebook, and am really keen to give this a crack. I had seen on Joel O's log , he had touched on it briefly, I wanted to see if anyone else had any results.

I'm 78kg , 183cm and stuck at 12% body fat. I'm currently on a 55/30/15 P/C/F macros at 1750cal per day (measured on My fitness Pal) and had got to pretty lean, I'm just trying to get the last 5% or so down. Living in Onslow in a mining camp, so days are long, hot and moderatly physical. Training 5 to 6 days per week. Mix of strength 4 days per week, and cardio 2 days.

When I fly home next week, I'm going to give the 'Beginner Fast' a crack, and give it a 24 hour demo fast.

Regards,

Niko

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Skara, I would strongly suggest you don't try fasting. There is a lot of evidence that shows the best approach to fat loss is to maintain a smallish energy deficit over a long period of time. Fasting will most likely screw with your metabolism, and while you may lose a bit of weight in the very short term, you will most likely regain it ( and a bit more) in the longer term.

It sounds like you are working in the mining industry. If I was working in a dangerous environment like that, I would be most pissed off if I found out a colleague was fasting, as a lack of CHO to the brain will most likely cause a decrease in cognitive functioning.

It sounds like you are currently doing pretty well with your fat loss, just stick to it and don't look for shortcuts.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I have been doing the 2 days a week fast/low calorie intake recently (only stopped due to an injury that needed alot of energy to heal) and have found it to be really good. I certainly havent found it to decrease my energy levels or brain power at all. If anything i feel alot more alert on my fasting days...especially seeing as i dont get low energy levels after lunch etc. I have also experinced a much happier digestive system when doing it. Give it a crack when you are off site and see if it works for you

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
cheers lads for the input! What was your injury retroenduro? How many hour fasts are the 2 a week?

Regards,

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have read about this and there seems to be some great claims for general health however I haven't managed to go into studies about every claim just a few. But I have considered this myself, not for weight but for general health.

Some people do IF with no calories for the day other do a low calories diet for the day. Because I haven't done the research on the topic ill suggest you definite do so.
Make sure you look proper studies and peer reviewed studies on the subject. There are lots of great ideas and claims out there with may health methods and while science cannot always find the link between the benefits and cause (these tend to be far and few) they will usually still find a result even if they don't understand why, so I'd suggest you should always check studies as many can be correctly identified and scrutinized.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I do 5 days normal, 2 days what 30% intake perhaps? Would do 0% but im weak ha ha. So i usually do Tuesday and Wednesday with v light breakky, a banana, miniscule lunch - maybe couple of apples and then an OK but lean dinner like fish and steamed veggies. Lots of green tea and water tho..

The injury was a serious tree hug resulting in broken collarbone and ribs etc so needed all me energy to heal from that bad boy.

There was a good BBC tv Horizons (a very reputable scientific UK tv documenatry) show on it called Eat, Fast and Live Longer

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Most days I fast. I get out of bed at 4:30 and go to work fast, really fast some days. I work all day then come home fast too usually around 4:00 sometimes after dark. If someone has slowed me down or not had their shit together. Cold beer, or more often 2, a meal generally big enough for 2 or 3, a spey side or islay single malt or 2. Then I fall asleep fast ready to repeat.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Not quite this fast.

Most days I fast. I get out of bed at 4:30 and go to work fast, really fast some days. I work all day then come home fast too usually around 4:00 sometimes after dark. If someone has slowed me down or not had their shit together. Cold beer, or more often 2, a meal generally big enough for 2 or 3, a spey side or islay single malt or 2. Then I fall asleep fast ready to repeat.

Intermittent Fasting have no idea about it so some one explain it thoroughly with great well exposure so that to understand it easily.

my02

Likes Dirt
Eat, fast, live longer.

Its a Horizon documentary and will be on SBS1 on Monday.

It gives some interesting food for thought......pun intended.

If you're impatient, I think it's on YouTube or just google it.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Intermittent Fasting have no idea about it so some one explain it thoroughly with great well exposure so that to understand it easily.
Basically instead of eating say 3000calores everyday of the week you have a few days a week were you eat no calories or you eat a small percentage of them. That's as simple as it gets.
Google it there is tonnes of information.

There is also daily fasting with small periods of eating.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love fasting when losing weight, it feels awesome and you have more energy and bigger meals. I did the lean gains approach with a 8hr feed and 16hr fast and it didn't seem much different from normal eating at all... Pretty much just don't eat breakfast (there's more to it then that).

Low calorie days aren't fasting, that's something else all together.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Eat fast live longer is on abc1 now.

So far I have one issue. They said " the people with restricted caloie intake lives longer than the average person and the American diet" though the calorie restriction people are not eat the average diet they are eating healthy fruits and veg so the "restriction" isn't isolated so unless it does this later in the program it's a little well irrelevant .

nicho

Sacré bleu!
Hi guys,

Ok this is very very interesting. In 2011 i undertook what is called the Warrior Diet, ironically isn't a diet at all but a life style.
I was never over weight but wanted to loose some flab that just wasn't going. I'm 1m83 and weighed 91kg at the time which was the most i ever weighed. Always on the active side and going on by the grazing all day approach but was non concluant with any type of weight loss while retaining strengths and stamina.

I'm not gonna go into detail about the diet but the book is written by an ex Israeli special forces trainer called Ori Ormfeckler. Look it up i lost 10 kg and the benefits and the rewards have been amazing. I have been at 82-83 for the last year and half.

If you guys can't find it online i have it in PDf.

by the way i lost the weight in 2 months with controlled daily fasting and gym sessions on an emtpy stomach. The feeling isn't what you expect!
The juice heads make me laugh these days.

Nicho

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Hi guys,

Ok this is very very interesting. In 2011 i undertook what is called the Warrior Diet, ironically isn't a diet at all but a life style.
I was never over weight but wanted to loose some flab that just wasn't going. I'm 1m83 and weighed 91kg at the time which was the most i ever weighed. Always on the active side and going on by the grazing all day approach but was non concluant with any type of weight loss while retaining strengths and stamina.

I'm not gonna go into detail about the diet but the book is written by an ex Israeli special forces trainer called Ori Ormfeckler. Look it up i lost 10 kg and the benefits and the rewards have been amazing. I have been at 82-83 for the last year and half.

If you guys can't find it online i have it in PDf.

by the way i lost the weight in 2 months with controlled daily fasting and gym sessions on an emtpy stomach. The feeling isn't what you expect!
The juice heads make me laugh these days.

Nicho
I'm surprised some gym heads don't fast I know calories are super important but there is evidence that fasting can increase Gh levels by 1200%

nicho

Sacré bleu!
The #1 benefit of controlled fasting for me was :

-no dip in sugar levels during the day
-better quality of sleep with less time.
-craving for quality and wholesome food
-improved digestive system with enough time for your stomach to rebuild enzyme pool and re-sensitise insulin production

i could go on and on....

If you ever decide to go down that path remember that it isn't a water fasting so drink plenty and in the adaptation phase drink black coffees to get over the hunger pains and slight boost of energy before a work out. (no more than 3 espresso's a day)!

Most of all it is a cyclical thing, i recommend doing it 5 days a week and once targeted weight is reached you will be amazed at how much you can eat without gaining weight. Your metabolism just churns through it.

Nicho

milly76

Likes Bikes
I watched the SBS documentary last night and it was very interesting. The fasting thing really does work according to the research they presented. The findings were evidence based and a real revelation to be honest. Don't quote me one it but I think on the fasting days the cal limit was around 600. That would be a very tough target.

I have my own philosophy in relation to cal intake and food in general. I work on an 80/20 rule. I try to eat healthily 80% of the time and allow myself 20% for sweets etc.

I love coming home form an epic ride and swinging by the golden arches to smash a McFlurry....

driftking

Wheel size expert
I watched the SBS documentary last night and it was very interesting. The fasting thing really does work according to the research they presented. The findings were evidence based and a real revelation to be honest. Don't quote me one it but I think on the fasting days the cal limit was around 600. That would be a very tough target.

I have my own philosophy in relation to cal intake and food in general. I work on an 80/20 rule. I try to eat healthily 80% of the time and allow myself 20% for sweets etc.

I love coming home form an epic ride and swinging by the golden arches to smash a McFlurry....
The problem I had with the documentary was the contol measures were not there. In the mice studies it was. Which showned strong evidence for degenerative and aging diseases so that's a big plus.
However the other stuff were just observational with no cotrolled test, they have not isolated fasting or low caloric intake. The issue with this is that the compare the disease rates to average people who eat a average American diet. Yet the fastin diet changes the types of foods too, they eat lots of fruit and veggies and good stuff. A healthy diet alone has been shown to help reduce many of the issues the show talked about. So they really need to isolate it.

Also IGF-1 is a major contributed to muscle gain and anobolic states, hence why most these guys were skinny, what about people who are overly physical? All these guys seemed to be desk jobbers With little heavy lifting. Reducing igf-1 I don't think can stop certain cancer growths but it can slow them down. (Just from what I understand but I may be wrong).

The documentary was good but it wasn't really controlled like it should have been.

Never the less the two studies in mice that are controlled were pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
cheers for the input lads, I've given it two 24 hour fasts this week, and I felt really really good. No brain fog at all. I eat very low amounts of sugar as it stands, which I think has helped a lot. One thing I have found, is a fondness for peanut butter at night.... that could be as some is hanging around in the fridge. I'm off back to camp now, so I'll see how it goes out there.

Regards,

Niko