Yarra Trails regulars

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, must have really rained here on the weekend. I was in forrest & was expecting a mud fest, but a few puddles on sat & all dried up on sun, it was actually really grippy. No mid week spin up to the padock for me then, eh

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
i've been in bali for a week, what happened? been following the news, so ST trashed for a few weeks I reckon. looks like more rain coming. I'll have a look tonight - happy to do the paths and let the ST recover. had most fun ever in last few months - especially fanging it around loop.
To summarise, it rained ... lots!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I rode out to Hans on Sunday arvo (via Westerfolds) and did a few laps.

The ST in Westerfolds has the usual puddles; however, the rest of the track is still solid (not churned up yet).

Hans is ok, the rocks in switchbacks were slippery (not surprising really) and felt a bit more exposed, the rain no doubt washed away some of the dirt around them.

There is a tree across the start of the left hand side ST loop which you can add at the top of the switchbacks.

There is some mud in amongst the trees, nothing too big though.

The dam after the downhill run from the small rock garden is leaking again; however, no real mud yet. The alternative loop around the leaky dam is fine – i.e. a lot of people aren’t using it yet.

There were quite a few MTBers out there; however, some appeared worried about getting there sponsored lycra dirty and were crawling around trying to avoid the puddles.

The short section of ST further out from Hans is fine.

I see that the government is going to put in the bridge across the Yarra at Wilsmere Park to link up with the Darebin creek trail. Does anyone know if there is ST, or space for ST, around the creek?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I see that the government is going to put in the bridge across the Yarra at Wilsmere Park to link up with the Darebin creek trail. Does anyone know if there is ST, or space for ST, around the creek?
Where did you hear this? People have been campaigning for this for years. Great news. I ride derebin creek to access myt all the time.
There is room for st along most of dc but there isn't a lot of vegetation to weave around though.

moorey

call me Mia
To summarise, it rained ... lots!
You blouse.
Rode 70km yesterday in ballarat/buninyong grinding mud and rain. Looped past my house 4 times in those 2 laps and didn't consider wussing out to watch gayball like you candy arses would no doubt have.
Big JD, I'm starting to lose respect for you for just living in a 50km radius of these whiney babies

Big JD

Wheel size expert
You blouse.
Rode 70km yesterday in ballarat/buninyong grinding mud and rain. Looped past my house 4 times in those 2 laps and didn't consider wussing out to watch gayball like you candy arses would no doubt have.
Big JD, I'm starting to lose respect for you for just living in a 50km radius of these whiney babies
i beat up as many as i can and cut the streamers off their handlebars but there are just so many. Big AC is alright- youd like him but the rest of em - useless pansy tards.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reading the comments in that article makes my eyes hurt.
Love it............ a few of my fav's......

This is a joke.
That money could be spent building another West Gate bridge.
And instead, we have a bike track for lycra louts who just run red lights and run people over.
The other day my dear old mum was nearly knocked over by a bunch of these hoons.
When will this outrage end.
Shame, shame.
Was that posted by Derryn Hinch?

My car has lights. Front and rear. By law I am required to use them.
Does your bike have adequate lights?
When you don your black lycra and investment bank sponsored jersey can you be seen pedalling along roads at night?
If not, why not.
All outdoor workers are required to wear Hi-Vis wear...by law.
Is fashion more important to you than safety?
The government is doing everything possible to stamp out hoons in cars, while hoons on bikes can get away with whatever they like. Time to bring in bike registration so they can be held accountable.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Quote[In April, the Boroondara council refused an extension, but last week Mr Guy used his ministerial powers to overrule the council and approve the project.]

I had a guy take my photo as I ride my mtb across the chandler street bridge a couple of months ago. I stopped and asked what he was doing and he told me about their campaign for this link and he was using the picture of me riding in heavy traffic as evidence of the dangers we face and how we hold up traffic across the bridge. I told him the traffic was holding me up but it was fine for him to use the pic.
He was due at a boroondara council meeting a couple of days later. Looks like it didn't go well. But what a great decision by the minister.
The comments are funny. It's funny that the biggest problem people have with cyclists is Lycra. I like the comment that the money could have built another westgate bridge. I doubt $18m would cover line marking on a new westgate bridge. It may cover a feasibility study though.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The comments are funny. It's funny that the biggest problem people have with cyclists is Lycra. I like the comment that the money could have built another westgate bridge. I doubt $18m would cover line marking on a new westgate bridge. It may cover a feasibility study though.
And registration. WTF? Some people just don't think their comments through do they. A rego plate on every bike and the system to regulate it? Oh sure, easy, that should clean up 99% of all bike related issues. NFI.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I just find it amusing that someone thinks that a bike / walking bridge across the Yarra near Wilsmere Park will affect traffic flow on the Westgate Bridge.

For our general amusement we could post some random comments to the article about Banksia St pirates, strava, sponsored lycra, etc and see what stupid shit we get back, anyone got an Age logon?

Edit: damn it, comments are closed.

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Trail conditions

Adding to Big AC's trail notes I rode from Burke Rd to Hans and back today.

All the billibongs between burke Rd and Banksia Rd are full and the yarra flooded the path under the bridge as usual.This is the worst part and as usual doesnt handle the rain too well.The last 150m of the paddock has flooded.The silt mud and a deep puddle is there but the rest of the paddock is in reasonable shape.
Everything is is good condition considering the rain. I think the fact that it all came quickly meant alot ran off.(Much like the perverts at annulus billabong)

Hans Loop: I moved the tree after the swichbacks blocking the trail and drained two puddles. Otherwise its all pretty good. In some parts I would even say that the trail erosion from the heavy rain has smoothed out the bumps and depsited some of the gravel in the low parts. All this mild weather has helped things dry out too

I reckon I saw undercover cops walking the trail around where the attack happened. Not far from the police station either

Last edited:

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
And registration. WTF? Some people just don't think their comments through do they. A rego plate on every bike and the system to regulate it? Oh sure, easy, that should clean up 99% of all bike related issues. NFI.
this bike rego thing sounds great.. do you think you can get personalized plates may be pink ones? what do you recon JD will get?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
this bike rego thing sounds great.. do you think you can get personalized plates may be pink ones? what do you recon JD will get?
ones with your face imprinted on it

no i would hold out like Ned Kelly and be the last one to hang a number plate on my bike. They would chase me through the wetlands and i would unleash an ambush of leather chaps welding massive dildos.