LBS etiquette

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
As per sc black.

Incidentally, you don't need to bleed shimano s to shorten the hose. You just follow the instructions, which is pretty much remove the pads, put a tiny little spacer in between the pads that comes with the brakes, then pump the brakes a few times till they come all the way out and grab the spacer, open up the bleed valve on the lever, undo the little nut on the brake cable, pull em out cut 150mm off them, it will not leak any oil, reconnect cable, remove spacer, then turn it round and lever the pistons back slowly until spacer fits wider end in, close off lever bleed valve.

Done

Takes about 10 minutes to read the instructions 3 times over, about 7 or 8 minutes to complete job start to finish the very first time you do it.

It was easily the task that scared me most for the least actual need ever. I made sure I had mineral oil on hand, a syringe etc and none of it was needed - a Stanley knife, a baby shifter, and a multi tool and 20 minutes is all you need ( possibly the ability to read would be helpful)

scblack

Leucocholic
As per sc black.

Incidentally, you don't need to bleed shimano s to shorten the hose. You just follow the instructions, which is pretty much remove the pads, put a tiny little spacer in between the pads that comes with the brakes, then pump the brakes a few times till they come all the way out and grab the spacer, open up the bleed valve on the lever, undo the little nut on the brake cable, pull em out cut 150mm off them, it will not leak any oil, reconnect cable, remove spacer, then turn it round and lever the pistons back slowly until spacer fits wider end in, close off lever bleed valve.

Done

Takes about 10 minutes to read the instructions 3 times over, about 7 or 8 minutes to complete job start to finish the very first time you do it.

It was easily the task that scared me most for the least actual need ever. I made sure I had mineral oil on hand, a syringe etc and none of it was needed - a Stanley knife, a baby shifter, and a multi tool and 20 minutes is all you need ( possibly the ability to read would be helpful)
Hmmm, I'll have to do a bit of investigating. If its that easy, I may have a go.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Yes, as pharmaboy says. Pretty easy if you have the right tools, sharp stanley knife, pliers, etc.... I had never done anything like this before and managed it without having to bleed the brakes. I figure there was only one way to learn. Make sure you understand the instructions before proceeding....and don't forget - measure twice, cut once.

Last edited:

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Silly question I know, but I am at work, not home.

You mean the instructions that came in the box? Or anywhere else worth looking at?
These are the instructions I used, which I got off rotorburn (can't remember who posted it or what post it's from)

'You need a spare hose insert (Silver needle thing) and grommit (Brass ring).
Take the brake lever off and hold it vertical with the hose pointing up.
Slide the rubber boot away down the hose
Completely undo the 8mm hex and slide it down the hose out of the way.
Now while keeping the hose facing upwards pull the hose out, Its a little snug but will pop out.

Put the lever somewhere with the hose hole facing upwards.
Fluid won't drip out of the hose as long as facing upwardish.
Cut the hose to the required length.
On the remaining hose ensure the rubber boot is first, Next the 8mm hex, Then grommit and finally the hose insert. This will need to be pushed in, Don't damage its front face.

Now re-assemble in reverse keeping the lever vertical

There will be a little minute bit of air but that will slowly work its way out via the reservoir

Succcess'

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Good ettiquette isn't just about any form of protocols or acceptable purchasing practices, it's about just treating the staff with a bit of respect, just as you would any mate.

Recently, I pulled apart and rebuilt a brand new wheel thinking I could do a better job than the factory. Made a mess of it didn't I.
I reckon taking it back to the LBS and asking them to rebuild it is a sh*t of a thing to do. But I took it back. With my tail between my legs.

While it was getting rebuilt on the Friday arvo I stopped in at the bottle-o and got a six pack of some nice Japanese beer for the boys.
It's not much, but it shows my appreciation for their work and for compensating for my f*cktardery.

I'd be happy to take an item to a shop to get fitted (never actually done it because it's a bit embarrassing), but I'd make it worth their while not just by payng a service fee but treating them like mates and the odd gesture like this goes a long way if you are a customer that appreciates that the shop is willing to do this.

It's the tard's that buy all their stuff online and then go in and demand the shop fits it right now and then want to haggle about service fees and offer nothing to the LBS aside from this that I reckon is poor form.

If the shop's don't mind, then go right ahead. If the shops do mind then maybe they need to rethink their customer service practices.

I remember as a young kid getting given guitar straings and then taking my guitar to the guitar shop to get them to show me how to restring the guitar.
They didn't kick up a stink because I didn't buy the strings off them. They helped because that's what a shop does, or should do.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
I really don't understand this 'treat them like mates' trend towards the LBS. Unless they are your mates of course, then don't be a dick and be nice. Otherwise its a business transaction plain and simple, you want something done and are prepared to pay for it. They need to do stuff and charge for it to make money. Attitude on either side is not conducive to a good deal but good business sense says do it anyway as its money they would not have otherwise. I think people are being too emotional about it.

What about the person who can't afford to buy new stuff but buys something second hand and needs to have it installed? Where parts come from shouldn't really matter as its not part of that transaction, the only thing that matters is how much will it cost and when will it be ready. Pretty simple really.

I buy a lot of stuff online and fit it myself, if I run into issues or am unable to do the work myself I pay for it to be done. Admittedly I don't use a LBS for this after receiving incredibly poor service and quality work (losing parts and incorrect installation) but use a mechanic service so may be a little different. However in this current climate I can't fathom why a LBS would even question any work being thrown their way.

driftking

Wheel size expert
100% no issue with it. They get paid for labor.

What if you bought the part second hand and needed someone to fit it? There is much less negative outlook on that but reality is its exactly the same situation. the LBS just hate online because it is direct competition. Stores offer service as much as they offer purchases and if I buy a part online I am using there service there is nothing wrong with that. I'm looking out for my pocket but I'm still giving them some money in the pocket.

Now do they have good etiquette by charging like $50bucks to fit a stem or some really basic service........No they charge ridiculous amounts of money for very easy and none time consuming services, hence most things Ill do on my own if possible.

Many LBS shoot them selves in the foot, they refuse to offer service unless you buy there parts. This straight away cuts down there service income, than if they do allow it they tend to charge outrageous amounts of money anyway which just pisses consumers off and drives business away.

If they want business they wont care where it comes from. Im all for them charging a additional price for fitting a external part but they need to be somewhat reasonable. When you buya bike and get things replaced/fitted you don't pay any labor. I think most stores should have a spend over/ or certain parts are fitted free when purchases in store.

most stores have seem to forgotten than they are a service, as serve us. we are not there to serve them.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
most stores have seem to forgotten than they are a service, as serve us. we are not there to serve them.
totally agree

Service can be really poor, I'm after a new frame and stuff (~$7k worth) and asked 4 bike shops for a quote. Only one has got back to me with a price which was full RRP. Customers just lose patience and go elsewhere i.e online

Big JD

Wheel size expert
shop bashing - expectations set?

to serve - not subservient

I just dont get all the service issues you lot are mentioning. Maybe I am blessed with clear communication, expectations and a mutual respect thing going on. Have I ever seen bad service - of coarse but why accept it.

I buy most of my bikes/frames secondhand and everything else from a bike shop. I get close if not better prices from my shops than I can get online.If I am after something that they cant match or even get close they will suggest I buy it on line- cause they know cost matters to me. Good example - I wanted a wheelset built, they said buy the hubs on line and we can get the rims and spokes cheaper for you and we will build it up too. I do most maintenance myself and most building - except wheels and suspension. If i have a question - I ask and if I want advice - I ask, make a decision and order it from them. Some times it takes me a few weeks to pay off - cant do that on line.

Give me the shop experience with real people everytime.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
What about the person who can't afford to buy new stuff but buys something second hand and needs to have it installed? Where parts come from shouldn't really matter as its not part of that transaction, the only thing that matters is how much will it cost and when will it be ready. Pretty simple really.
Bingo......nothing more to say.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
totally agree

Service can be really poor, I'm after a new frame and stuff (~$7k worth) and asked 4 bike shops for a quote. Only one has got back to me with a price which was full RRP. Customers just lose patience and go elsewhere i.e online
my friend has had a similar experience - it is as if the snotty nose casual assistance who takes your call, takes your details and hangs up and says to the other staff - "I just had this guy on the phone want to buy a carbon Turner Csar with XXI in custom pink - yeah right, as if.........................". My mate rang stockists of a particular brand (twice for two different bikes) and said, I want an XL frame with this spec, these wheels and this suspension in black- can you order it for me and let me know when it will come in................................ no reply. F*cking morons

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
to serve - not subservient

I just dont get all the service issues you lot are mentioning. Maybe I am blessed with clear communication, expectations and a mutual respect thing going on. Have I ever seen bad service - of coarse but why accept it.
Yup what JD said. Any LBS worth their salt will provide excellent service to any loyal customer. A few weeks ago I destroyed my rear derailleur. Limped the bike back into the shop for repairs. Sure I could have bought the derailleur for cheaper online but the LBS said they would have it fixed and ready to roll the next day.
24 hours later I am on my bike with new derailleur (at a better then expected price), spokes (I manged to bust a few of them in the crash) and the bike has been serviced and cleaned - that level of customer service brings me back time and time again.

An online shop can't do that. If I took the online option I might have saved a few $$ but it would also mean waiting for the item to be sent to me - that's time off the bike I would rather not have. The LBS might not be able to beat online for price, but it sure can beat them when it comes to great customer service.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
totally agree

That is poor no-one got back to you. In regards to the price, did you physically go into store? You wouldn't believe the amount of time wasters on email and phone. A professional store should still have a follow-up protocol.

My advice is go into the store, show that you are serious and then discuss the price.