LBS etiquette

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I know there has been a thread about online vs LBS, but I'm wondering where people draw the line between them. We all know it's rude to try things on in a store just to get the size or fit with every intention to buy it online. But Is it rude to buy a part online that can be bought at a LBS and have them fit it? Where do you draw the line?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I know there has been a thread about online vs LBS, but I'm wondering where people draw the line between them. We all know it's rude to try things on in a store just to get the size or fit with every intention to buy it online. But Is it rude to buy a part online that can be bought at a LBS and have them fit it? Where do you draw the line?
For me, that's where I draw the line.

I buy any and everything online that I can fit myself.

moorey

call me Mia
It's kinda cunny, but owners that I talked to about this would rather some income than nothing. That said, I wouldn't do it.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
I know shops that refuse to fit parts that have been bought online due to customers requesting warranty on a part they bought online. For warranty you have to go through the pace of purchase even if the shop fitted it.
I also know shops that will charge for the fitting of parts bought online even with a service, however if the parts are bought from the store with a service there are no fitting costs and some parts are discounted.
I have also come across some horror purchases, people buying saint derailleurs asking us to attach them to their 3x10 cross country 29er and wondering why we are telling them it wont work.
So there are some reasons to go though your LBS but if your buying simple parts i.e brake pads, grips and the like yeah sure go online. but dont forget if it goes up shit creek your on your own so it kinna goes both ways here.
Just dont winge to your LBS when you dun goofed.

indica

Serial flasher
No issues there at all as far as I am concerned.
They are still getting labour charges from you.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I won't name names cause I don't know the guy well enough but back in 2010 I was talking to the owner of a small bike shop and he saw that part of the inevitable future of his business was fitting parts that people had bought off the net. He was focussing his future on high end servicing, race prep, bike set up etc.

To me this makes sense, unless you have mega turnover how can you justify the holding costs of increasingly diverse bike parts and specs - take something simple like rear derailleurs - SRAM/Shimano - short/medium/long - X7/X9X0/XX/XX1 - and even if you fluke that you might not have the right colour:drama: and that is before we get to the stupidity overdrive headtubes, the amazing variety of headset types available and ffs I can't understand BBs anymore:tsk:

So I don't see an issue with it, I would imagine (as a general rule) the independent shops that are happier to do this than the bigger name shops.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
The reason i ask is because i am looking at xt brakes online as they are sooooooo cheap online, but the hoses will need to be swapped over, trimmed and bled. I'm sure i could learn how to do this, but i would also need to purchase cutters, mineral oil and possibly a bleed funnel/ kit and it would take quite a bit of time for me. It would be a lot easier, and possibly even cheaper (unsure about costs though) to get the trimming and bleeding done at a LBS, but also don't want to be a dick about bringing in a part bought overseas for them to help install. Just trying to test the moral waters here as i don't want to cross any lines.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know of at least one bike store that is a purely labor based store, happy to fit online purchases, his labor rates are a touch higher, but he also does a much better job than many stores.

I think you will see more of this in small stores offering quality labor and small parts only because the understand they will never keep up with big ticket items on online stores so don't bother

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi Linz1817,

Many LBS' recognise they can make no revenue or incremental labour revenue in reference to internet purchased parts and are happy to accommodate. Truth is if you have a good LBS that you frequent they can usually get pretty close on price for you being a regular. A lot recognise their commercial model needs to change to survive and thus diversify and improve their service. It won't work for everyone though.

So I don't see an issue with it.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Hi Linz1817,

Truth is if you have a good LBS that you frequent they can usually get pretty close on price for you being a regular.
I originally wanted to buy through the LBS because of the set up and to support them, but they can't even come close to the online price of xt's with deore brakes. Not a knock on them, they just can't compete.

moorey

call me Mia
I originally wanted to buy through the LBS because of the set up and to support them, but they can't even come close to the online price of xt's with deore brakes. Not a knock on them, they just can't compete.
He speaks the truth. We have been asked by said lbs to always try him first, but even the 'special deals' are +30%, and then you feel like a chunt passing on the offer....

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
He speaks the truth. We have been asked by said lbs to always try him first, but even the 'special deals' are +30%, and then you feel like a chunt passing on the offer....
I want to support locals, but when we are likely talking upwards of 100%-150% increase for the same product it makes it hard to justify.

moorey

call me Mia
I want to support locals, but when we are likely talking upwards of 100%-150% increase for the same product it makes it hard to justify.
Sorry, mistyped, meant +80% once mates rate kicked in. I know they can't match prices, I don't expect them to, I don't ask anymore, it's just awkward. I do buy some stuff locally if practical.

John U

MTB Precision
You're giving the lbs work. If they know what they're doing they shouldn't knock it back. Don't expect any warranty on said part from the shop, and don't expect the same labour rates you'd get if you purchased the part in the shop.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Truth is if you have a good LBS that you frequent they can usually get pretty close on price for you being a regular.
This is my experience.
The OP should also consider the labour cost and add it to his online price as many shops will offer free or very cheap fitting. I bet the fitting cost plus the online price comes out more expensive than just buying it local. That's before you've gone and bought all the tools and consumables too.
I'm so time poor that I can't be arsed spending a whole day of my precious free time fixing my bike when I could be out riding it.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Yep, understand, and have seen it too re kit price (sadly). Agree you gotta do what you gotta do.

If you need LBS to install, see what their charges are, should be standard labour rate and any incidentals. If you are on good terms with them get them to cut the hosing for you and install olives etc, then have a crack at installing and bleeding yourself. Some pretty good youtube vids on how to bleed mineral oil brakes, shimano etc. If you stuff it up and brakes remain squidgy then get the shop to help then or one of your local buddies. Mineral oil is pretty easy to play with.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Depends what it is how you went about it and whether you then want to argue the fitment price.

There were times when regular customers or even randoms came to us stating out right they'd been looking on line and could get it at such and such a price and either we couldn't source the part or couldn't price match and we let them know up front we appreciated them atleast giving us the chance and we'd be happy to fit it for $X
Then there were times where people came in bragging about how they get everything online as bike shops are just rip offs. We'd tell them our standard workshop price and tell them when we could do it and they'd haggle the price, want it done for next to nothing or demand it done immediately and generally be a pain about it so we'd tell them to do it themselves. Service and repour goes both ways

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont ask the forum mate ask the LBS by now they all should have pretty clear ideas on what their stance is.

I have 2 shops within 15km of me - one is accomodating and will fit whatever you want for said fees. Yes his labour isnt cheap and he will happily give you prices for both parts and labour or labour only, so you can decide which way you want to go. - strangely he is getting busier everyday.

The other is dead against it and not even willing to negotiate on price, strangely this shop is struggling.

I dont mind either way as long as they communicate their policy. The first shop gets my business because he is willing to change with the times, the second shop basically gets zero out of me. I would say many places will draw lines in the sands soon and Im not sure how the second shop model will survive.

And FWIW its not just cycling - its retail in general that is under going massive changes and I cant see it going back anytime soon. My prediction in 50 years time retail outlets will have all but dissapeared - buy warehouse space now!

scblack

Leucocholic
The reason i ask is because i am looking at xt brakes online as they are sooooooo cheap online, but the hoses will need to be swapped over, trimmed and bled. I'm sure i could learn how to do this, but i would also need to purchase cutters, mineral oil and possibly a bleed funnel/ kit and it would take quite a bit of time for me. It would be a lot easier, and possibly even cheaper (unsure about costs though) to get the trimming and bleeding done at a LBS, but also don't want to be a dick about bringing in a part bought overseas for them to help install. Just trying to test the moral waters here as i don't want to cross any lines.
I just bought XT brakes from Wiggle.

You will not need to swap sides - you can buy Front/Left OR Front/Right same with rear.

But as I am about to do, you may have to get the cable trimmed down to a decent length. I am going to pop down to TBSM and ask them to do it. They'll charge me of course but bleeding brakes is something I've never done and can't be arsed nutting through.

If a bike shop has a problem servicing something bought online - go elsewhere - thats their problem if they have an issue.