AM Banshee Rune V2

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Bought myself a banshee rune V2 from Ben at singletracks, as an upgrade/sidegrade from my Pivot Firebird. The Firebird was a fantastic bike but alias the size was a little small for me and the Rune turned out to be a lot cheaper (with a much better shock) than a new Firebird frame would have been + the Rune's sizing fits my dimensions a little better.

Been on the rune now for about three months and almost have it almost dialed, I'd say it's not better nor worse than the Firebird, just different, I would say I did prefer the DW link more so than the rear of the rune, especially in square edged hits and technical climbs. But it's probably an unfair comparison as I would also be comparing an RC4 against a CCDBA on two differing suspension platforms. The CCDBA is my first air shock (the Lyriks also being my first air fork) and indeed the CCDBA feels very close to a coil, but not quite as plush, the weight saving I think is worth it.

Running tubeless for the first time, I like the weight, but having managed to burp the front tire in a rock garden and go over the bars... I hope this doesn't happen to often.

Total build cost was $4400 - with nothing transferred across from the Firebird frame, I spent 6 months scouring the internet for deals and managed to find some solid discounts - very happy with the final price, very competitive to off the shelf bikes.

I have no interest in riding anything but 26, but with the frame I have the option of 27.5, not that i'll ever make us of that.

Frame Banshee Rune V2 large
Rear shock CCDBA
Front shock/fork Lyrik 170mm RC2DH Solo Air - tapered
Handlebars Easton Havoc carbon
Stem Easton Havoc 65mm (also have a 50mm... still deciding on length)
Headset Banshee
Grips ODI rogue - going back to oury when they arrive
Saddle SDG Ti Fly
Seatpost Easton EA70 400mm
Front brake Formula RO - 203mm Hope saw rotor
Rear brake Formula RO - 180mm Hope saw rotor
Cranks XT 170mm + Blackspire 32t
Chainguide E13 XCX
Chain KMC X10
Pedals M785 XT Trails
Rear derailleur XT mid cage clutch
Rear shifter XT
Cassette XT 11-36
Front hub Hope Pro Evo2
Rear hub Hope Pro Evo2
Front rim Stans Flow Ex
Rear rim Stans Flow Ex
Spokes DT competition 1.8-2
Nipples Prolock
Tyres (F) Hans Dampf 2.35 snakeskin/tubeless (R) Nobby Nic 2.25 snakeskin/tubeless
Total weight No idea, feels reasonably light for a pretty sturdy build.

the seat is in the DH position, normally 15cm higher for XC.
Rune v2.jpg
rune front.jpg
rune rear.jpg
rune drivetrain.jpg
yangs rune rock.jpg
yangs rune.jpg

Last edited:

ADD

Likes Dirt
Been looking at these frames and the Nukeproof mega am. Still can't decide but leaning towards the mega. Very nice rune though.

Mywifesirrational

I live in spotie ADD, if you ever wanted to test ride, the mega was on my short list as well, well priced frame with a very decent shock.

indica

Serial flasher
Very very nice bike.
Big ups.
All you have to do now is move somewhere with decent riding!

ADD

Likes Dirt
Very very nice bike.
Big ups.
All you have to do now is move somewhere with decent riding!
Haha this is true. We've gotta drive 40-50min to get anywhere slightly decent. I'm looking forward to moving to Wollongong next year for that reason.

I may have to take you up on that offer MWI...

Mywifesirrational

Admittedly the youyangs is a pitiful sized hill compared to the yarra ranges where I grew up, they have done amazing things with the place, so much so that I rarely ride else where other than places like baw baw and buller in summer. A decent trade off for living 10km to the center of Melbourne.

ADD just yell out whenever you like, when I bought the rune, I was only only able to base it off the net, was a little bit nervous until 1 minute into first ride.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I was surprised how the rune climbed. No rocket ship but for the bike i felt it climbed great. Only done a lap of a local track on one when Ben was local.

Mywifesirrational

It climbs really well as long as you sit and spin and not trying to keep up with the XC crowd, there is no feeling of the suspension moving - sapping the energy so to speak. Watching the rear shock and it's moving maybe 2mm under hard seated pedaling with the LSC set as standard.

Compared to the firebird (DW), they climb about the same on smooth'ish' fire roads, on the steeper stuff the firebird was better, mostly due to the headangle as the rune is roughly 2.5 degrees slacker and tends to want to wander if you're not paying attention. On technical climbs the firebird coped with a little better at getting over square edged hits but with a little more body language the rune certainly doesn't struggle.

Very happy with the frame, I tend to do as much XC riding up hills as i do more AM focused riding, it is a really solid all round frame.

jbv

Cannon Fodder
you Aussie's have the best (and funniest) place names.....

speaking of good names, Mywifeisirrational- have you bothered to hang that bike from a scale yet? i'm curious. weight is an unescapable issue with all bikes and certainly the Rune is a noted to be a bit heavy, but i've seen light builds out there. i'm guessing yours is right around 32 pounds, but hard to say. is the SDG fly saddle comfortable?

Mywifesirrational

you Aussie's have the best (and funniest) place names.....

speaking of good names, Mywifeisirrational- have you bothered to hang that bike from a scale yet? i'm curious. weight is an unescapable issue with all bikes and certainly the Rune is a noted to be a bit heavy, but i've seen light builds out there. i'm guessing yours is right around 32 pounds, but hard to say. is the SDG fly saddle comfortable?
I weighed it the other day, came in at 13.8 kg / 30.5 lb on some dodgy bathroom scales, i'll take it into the lab at work one of these weekends and weigh it properly, although I think that's going to be pretty close to reality. It's amazing how much weight 1x10 saves, no shifter, F deraileur, less rings... I basically can't save any more weight now with out sacrificing strength or angering the wife by buying XX1.

Adding a KS LEV next week which will beef it up a little and going to try some 2.4 HR II's, which will also bring to close to 32 lb.

The SDG Fly, i actually had to ponder this for a few minutes before answering, so that probably means no! short answer is I can tolerate it as long as I am in my baggy knicks.

Compared to a Bel Air (run these on my other bikes) it is not nearly as comfortable and I probably would not tour around Australia on this saddle, but - it did save a small chunk of weight, is a bit narrower so I find it a little better in steep technical riding as it is easier to get behind, seems tolerable for up to 2-3 hours of riding, AM riding means I'm not sitting on it for any sustained length of time and most people who get on the bike tell me how uncomfortable it is.

On a side note finally conquered my fear of the 'clam' at the top of boulder track youies yesterday, after crashing off the high side back in 2008, that feature was more scary than the step down on turbulence.

Last edited:

cicot

Likes Dirt
I weighed it the other day, came in at 13.8 kg / 30.5 lb on some dodgy bathroom scales, i'll take it into the lab at work one of these weekends and weigh it properly, although I think that's going to be pretty close to reality. It's amazing how much weight 1x10 saves, no shifter, F deraileur, less rings... I basically can't save any more weight now with out sacrificing strength or angering the wife by buying XX1.

Adding a KS LEV next week which will beef it up a little and going to try some 2.4 HR II's, which will also bring to close to 32 lb.

The SDG Fly, i actually had to ponder this for a few minutes before answering, so that probably means no! short answer is I can tolerate it as long as I am in my baggy knicks.

Compared to a Bel Air (run these on my other bikes) it is not nearly as comfortable and I probably would not tour around Australia on this saddle, but - it did save a small chunk of weight, is a bit narrower so I find it a little better in steep technical riding as it is easier to get behind, seems tolerable for up to 2-3 hours of riding, AM riding means I'm not sitting on it for any sustained length of time and most people who get on the bike tell me how uncomfortable it is.

On a side note finally conquered my fear of the 'clam' at the top of boulder track youies yesterday, after crashing off the high side back in 2008, that feature was more scary than the step down on turbulence.
hi,
I'm drooling over this bike, is there a banshee dealer in Vic?

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Mywifesirrational how tall are you? I'm just placing an order on the frame now and at 5'11" I can't decide between med and large. Absolutely love your build!

effarr

Likes Dirt
Mywifesirrational how tall are you? I'm just placing an order on the frame now and at 5'11" I can't decide between med and large. Absolutely love your build!
What sort of riding will you be doing mostly? I am ~6'1" and on a Large with a 45mm stem - seems pretty bang on for me with a mix of rough XC/AM riding. First few rides the bike was noticeably harder to throw around than my old Giant Faith which was essentially a Medium; harder to manual in particular but is now feeling more manageable.

If I was buying this bike solely for gravity fed stuff/jumping I'd get a Medium, but for what it's designed for I'd lean towards the large with a short stem.

Ultimately you're in the borderline size range; I honestly don't think you'd be unhappy either way. I'd just go off if you want the bike to be more playful, or more compliant with climbs and better for longer XC type rides.

Leon

oriion

Likes Dirt
I'm 6FT 2" and i've ordered a large spitfire(black on black yummy) with a 50mm stem running 650B - be doing AM/XC mostly - medium would be too short in the TT, Large will be just right.

Great build btw, looks very nice.

Last edited: