The stupid questions thread.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What is with this those weird cartoons with people doing things in FB all of sudden?
Someone's designed a 'make your own comic' app and unimaginative tits with shit for brains from across the internet have decided that we all want to see every single woeful effort from them clogging up our newsfeeds.

Still, at least it makes a change from photos of their f***ing kids.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Someone's designed a 'make your own comic' app and unimaginative tits with shit for brains from across the internet have decided that we all want to see every single woeful effort from them clogging up our newsfeeds.

Still, at least it makes a change from photos of their f***ing kids.
and giraffes.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have glasses for the first time ever, and aside from having what seems to be some actual depth perception for the first time ever (seriously, it's like everything is a fucking 3D movie right now) I've noticed one other weird thing: when I put the glasses on, aspect changes substantially.
First noticed it when I watched some telly last night, putting the glasses on gives a distinct vertical compression.

Question is, is this distortion I'm seeing, or is it correcting a distortion I've been living with up until now?

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I notice the same with my glasses- but wear contacts 99% of the time. It's weird having whatever the lens is covering in focus, and everything around it blurry. Especially once you're used to contacts. I can't drive with my glasses on cos my depth perception goes to shit also.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yes the world is a actually in letterbox format.
Dammmmnnn, bitches be fat!

Hach, I learned at my last eye checkup that my depth perception is essentially non-existant, hence why my optometrist wasn't too worried about the glasses affecting it all that much. Things definately look different though, although I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with them on. Dunno if I'll ever ride in them though.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I have glasses for the first time ever, and aside from having what seems to be some actual depth perception for the first time ever (seriously, it's like everything is a fucking 3D movie right now) I've noticed one other weird thing: when I put the glasses on, aspect changes substantially.
First noticed it when I watched some telly last night, putting the glasses on gives a distinct vertical compression.

Question is, is this distortion I'm seeing, or is it correcting a distortion I've been living with up until now?
depends on whether the glasses are correcting for astigmatism rather than the more common long- or short-sightedness.

i wear graduated lenses (trifocal) for long-sightedness due to ageing. i tried single-vision for racing but had depth perception issues, found the trifocals to work well as long as i have a larger lens - which seems to be difficult to get with all the funky new frames on the market.

scblack

Leucocholic
Hach, I learned at my last eye checkup that my depth perception is essentially non-existant, hence why my optometrist wasn't too worried about the glasses affecting it all that much. Things definately look different though, although I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with them on. Dunno if I'll ever ride in them though.
Thats pretty normal, I've worn glasses all my life and every time I change them over there's a period of up to two weeks where the new ones feel weird. ESPECIALLY if you are trying the trend of narrow lenses - meaning narrow across your face.

A bigger lens will help as the focal point is much bigger for your eyes.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Are these sleep-logging bracelets the new 'powerbands' and if so, why are otherwise smart, logical people so eager to splash out upwards of a $100 on what is essentially snake oil?

My girlfriend has one as do a few other people I know and whilst I do find the idea of being able to track my sleep to be quite interesting I can't see how a simple accelerometer is going to somehow differentiate between when I'm lying in bed watching a movie on my laptop and when I'm running round my high school panicking because I don't have a copy of this term's timetable and am already late for my class. (why this is a recurring issue for a 35 year old man is beyond me)

It seems that people are willing to swallow anything just because it says so on professional looking packaging.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I notice the same with my glasses- but wear contacts 99% of the time. It's weird having whatever the lens is covering in focus, and everything around it blurry. Especially once you're used to contacts. I can't drive with my glasses on cos my depth perception goes to shit also.
And you told me it was a cow!

g3rg

Likes Bikes
Are these sleep-logging bracelets the new 'powerbands' and if so, why are otherwise smart, logical people so eager to splash out upwards of a $100 on what is essentially snake oil?

My girlfriend has one as do a few other people I know and whilst I do find the idea of being able to track my sleep to be quite interesting I can't see how a simple accelerometer is going to somehow differentiate between when I'm lying in bed watching a movie on my laptop and when I'm running round my high school panicking because I don't have a copy of this term's timetable and am already late for my class. (why this is a recurring issue for a 35 year old man is beyond me)

It seems that people are willing to swallow anything just because it says so on professional looking packaging.
I know people who use them as a step / movement counter, but don't know anyone who looks at the sleep quality side. I would like the fitbit wrist bands silent vibrating alarm functionality, so I can get up for a ride without waking the other half, but again, not justified for $100+. Would love it if Garmin built that into their running watches.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I know people who use them as a step / movement counter, but don't know anyone who looks at the sleep quality side. I would like the fitbit wrist bands silent vibrating alarm functionality, so I can get up for a ride without waking the other half, but again, not justified for $100+. Would love it if Garmin built that into their running watches.
There's no danger of me sleeping with my Garmin. bloody useless thing is* the size of a housebrick. Apart from smacking myself in the face with it in my sleep, the damn thing would go flat before daybreak.

LTIH Garmin Forerunners.

*or rather was - it just shat itself yesterday.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt

What an awful concept. The amount of sleep I'm missing out on is not something I want to be informed of regularly

g3rg

Likes Bikes
There's no danger of me sleeping with my Garmin. bloody useless thing is* the size of a housebrick. Apart from smacking myself in the face with it in my sleep, the damn thing would go flat before daybreak.

LTIH Garmin Forerunners.

*or rather was - it just shat itself yesterday.
I liked my Forerunner 210, which has gone missing somewhere, probably misplaced by my daughter. Only issue is the watch band is not replaceable, and is falling apart and now held together with rubber bands and electrical tape. Only thing I wish it did was the silent vibrating alarm.

Had hoped the new Forerunner 220 was going to be what I need, but doesn't look like it does the silent alarm. Am now looking into using a Pebble watch linked to my phone instead. I'm a software developer so the idea of getting my nerd-on programming my watch and my phone to do exactly what I want it to do is kinda intriguing. And the only real negative I can find for it (other than $150 price) is that there aren't that many apps for it yet, other than Runkeeper. All I want it for is sleep alarm and running, so it might fit me perfectly.

wombat

Lives in a hole
depends on whether the glasses are correcting for astigmatism rather than the more common long- or short-sightedness.

i wear graduated lenses (trifocal) for long-sightedness due to ageing. i tried single-vision for racing but had depth perception issues, found the trifocals to work well as long as i have a larger lens - which seems to be difficult to get with all the funky new frames on the market.
Yeah, I've got an astigmatism, two actually. Mild in my left eye, but a right old fucker in my right. Are the toric lenses going to be throwing the aspect off?

teK--

Eats Squid
How the hell does it take 3 business days for Auspost to ship an item from Tamworth to Melbourne even after paying extra for Express?

I can get an item from the UK sent to Melbourne in the same amount of time and that includes clearing Customs in two countries.

Didn't get my new goggles for the weekend :yell:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Yeah, I've got an astigmatism, two actually. Mild in my left eye, but a right old fucker in my right. Are the toric lenses going to be throwing the aspect off?
your eyes are throwing the aspect off, it'll take a bit for your brain to re-align to the new messages your optic nerves are now sending. my advice is don't wear the new glasses riding just yet :)

I thought that was when you started bleeding from the palms of your hands
close, but no cigar :drum: