Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

JimT

Likes Dirt
Any burners have further info on WA's new policy of culling sharks over 3m found in in particular zones?
Interested to know if they are only targeting "man-eating" species like tigers, bulls and great whites, or if it applies to all species, which would theoretically include grey nurse, dusky's, lemons or technically even wobbegongs - as all grow to 3m or more.

Seems like everyone, except the WA Gov is against the policy - from what I've read, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of detail.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
but something needs to be done.
That'a the problem right there. Always something needs to be done. How about they tell people that the ocean is fucking dangerous around Australia? Enter at your own risk. Sharks don't walk on the beach or swim in pools. Take your choice.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
That'a the problem right there. Always something needs to be done. How about they tell people that the ocean is fucking dangerous around Australia? Enter at your own risk. Sharks don't walk on the beach or swim in pools. Take your choice.
It's fucking dangerous everywhere! That's why our ancestors built boats.

The things that shit me the most about all this is that A: There are a decent number of surfers, Kitesurfers and the like who are all clamouring for this when 75% of the time they spend whinging about overcrowded breaks, whilst the other 25% of the time (although this zooms up to 100% when travelling around Europe and trying to impress locals) they act like they're the most fearless c**ts ever to sport a bleached blonde moptop since Patrick Swayze in Point Break. - It's a fucking fish for crying out loud! grow some fucking balls! It's this sort of shit that makes me think that the myth of the 'fearless aussie larrikin' died out with Steve Irwin.

B: As you've mentioned, the ocean is fucking dangerous particularly those pesky rips! Should we start building breakwaters around our beaches to stop them too?

C: Colin Barnett's justification for this witch-hunt is that the local tourism industry is complaining that people are staying away from WA because of the 'shark problem'.

This is in fact true.

Unfortunately for Mr Barnett and WA tourism the only sharks that are scaring tourists away from WA are the ones who charge anywhere up to $15 for a pint of beer and $6 for a coffee.

Seriously, why would you pay the price of a flight to Fiji, or Thailand, or Bali, or Cairns to visit a godforsaken cultural wasteland of a state that has nothing to offer other than prices that would make the Japanese blush and the worlds largest conglomeration of bogans in high-viz?!

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, whilst I know WA has some awesome places, Perth aint one of them. Joint flat out sucks.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
its not a cull.

the people that are protesting are the ones that dont have a clue.As i said i dont support a cull but large sharks are eating people and if it was land based species it would be controlled ,eg lions ,tigers, bears.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
the people that are protesting are the ones that dont have a clue.As i said i dont support a cull but large sharks are eating people and if it was land based species it would be controlled ,eg lions ,tigers, bears.
But you clearly do have a clue? From what you have said before I doubt that.

How is a cull different to a catch and kill order? Ocean = has some dangers. If you are that concerned, don't go in. Accept the risks if you go in and stop your f*cking whinging.

Perhaps we should have a catch and kill order on red back spiders or brown snakes. They kill more people then sharks.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
How many people swim, surf, dive, kitesurf etc in WA? Hundreds of Thousands! How many people have been eaten by sharks in the last year?

Two.

Fucking Two.

You often get more fatalities in a single road traffic accident! A hell of a lot more people than that are going to die this month in Perth due to the summer heat. At one mine I know of in WA they've had two fatalities in less than 3 months. Are we going to hear the sandgropers campaign for the mines to be shut down, eh? :rolleyes:

moorey

call me Mia
Perhaps we should have a catch and kill order on red back spiders or brown snakes. They kill more people then sharks.
while I'm with you in principal, Cheetos, I think you'll find it's been a looooong time since either killed someone, what with antivenin and all. I think the shark antivenin is still 18 months off.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No one has been killed by a red back since 1953.

Tattooed bogans on pre-mix Jim Beam's on the other hand....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think I like Moorey's and Johnny's line of thought...a cull on shit drivers and bogan's. Not only will it make it safer around town, it will also make travel less embarrassing. Camps would be fine too, we could farm their thermal energy and reduce green house gases at the same time.

Really big sharks usually stake out a turf and hunt it dry...if they can't be deterred from an area they have claimed, what other option is left? I have based this knowledge on a documentary I watched called jaws.