Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
while I'm with you in principal, Cheetos, I think you'll find it's been a looooong time since either killed someone, what with antivenin and all. I think the shark antivenin is still 18 months off.
Arthropods on the other hand - they got an antivenin for them yet? 2011 ABS stats for WA:

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/3303.02011?OpenDocument

Contact with other specified venomous arthropods (X25) - 4 persons.

Contact with marine animal (W56) - 3

moorey

call me Mia
More people probably die from eating fucking peanuts. Definitely from slipping in the shower. That's why I rarely bathe, I'm just improving the odds.

floody

Wheel size expert
12 attacks in a bit over 2 years is rare?
Extremely so. So rare that in most other circumstances it would not even be classed as a risk. 12 people have been killed by sharks in two years? About 400 pedestrians have been killed in that time. In the first week of this year, the cycling death toll is already equal to the WA shark death toll.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
12 attacks in a bit over 2 years is rare?
12 attacks? Where are you getting that from? In WA there have been 6 fatal attacks since September 2011. that averages out less than 3 a year. I'd say that's pretty rare particularly when you consider how many water users there are in the state.

moorey

call me Mia
What about all those people who got whacked by a thrashing tail in the charter boat after landing one? You can't cherry pick, posm. :crazy:

0psi

Eats Squid
12 attacks? Where are you getting that from? In WA there have been 6 fatal attacks since September 2011. that averages out less than 3 a year. I'd say that's pretty rare particularly when you consider how many water users there are in the state.
Where did I say fatal?

Edit: Are you telling me that there are 3 times more people in the water in WA as the rest of the country combined?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
In the interests of full disclosure:
Do I have a problem with recreational fishing? No
Do I have a problem with large scale commercial fishing, particularly the indiscriminate netting and overfishing (of something I believe that they have no right to actually collect)? Hell yeah.
Am I too old and lazy these days to do anything more than a personal protest by not partaking? Yep.

0psi

Eats Squid
Slippery slope, much?
where did that come from and what does it have to do with this? :noidea:
Heaps of sharks are killed by recreational fisherman everyday and no one gives a shit. Tell some that you are going shark fishing and chances are they'll think you're a badass. At a guess I'd say that more sharks will be killed in a week by recreational fisherman than the culling will in a month.

I'm guessing most of the naysayers want to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing.

Recreational fishing killing heaps of sharks- Don't care.
Shark finning killing millions or sharks- What? Out of sight out of mind, who cares.
WA government kills a handful of sharks- LOSE YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!!

Edit: Last bit wasn't directed at you Moorey, just a generalisation.

0psi

Eats Squid
So for the sake of putting into perspective. If the rest of the country had the same rate of shark attacks as WA we'd see 74 attacks a year and that's not taking into account tourists. I'd guess QLD and NSW would see more tourists than WA.

I've left ACT and NT out of this.

moorey

call me Mia
Heaps of sharks are killed by recreational fisherman everyday and no one gives a shit. Tell some that you are going shark fishing and chances are they'll think you're a badass. At a guess I'd say that more sharks will be killed in a week by recreational fisherman than the culling will in a month.

I'm guessing most of the naysayers want to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing.

Shark finning killing millions or sharks- What? Out of sight out of mind, who cares.

I don't see (or more precisely, count) spear fishing, sport fishing, game fishing or charter boats as 'recreational fishing'

I mean the bloke sitting on the pier, the kid sitting on the river bank, or the guy in a mountain stream (for example)
I don't fish, and would prefer that others probably didn't fish also, but I'm a realist. Some people would prefer there were no bike riders also. Live and let live.

'Recreational' fishermen, either in your context or mine, aren't killing the apex predators of the food chain (for one thing, great whites are a protected species, along with 4 other sharks)

I'm right against shark finning, btw. I don't see the connection with this issue, personally.

moorey

call me Mia
So for the sake of putting into perspective. If the rest of the country had the same rate of shark attacks as WA we'd see 74 attacks a year and that's not taking into account tourists. I'd guess QLD and NSW would see more tourists than WA.

I've left ACT and NT out of this.
FFS, you're not comparing apples with apples there.
You are talking a skewed number, from a particular place, with a particular circumstance.

And for perspective, how about we compare 'attacks' form sharks, with 'crashes' for cyclists......

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...but is it really? Amongst almost everyone I know in my own age category of 20-26, there is fierce opposition to all 3. In fact, I can't recall a single person that has agreed with any of the above when it's been raised in conversation, regardless of age.

Edit: I should qualify that by saying opposition to the killing of any species of shark whose population status is considered anything but common.

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt

It is an unhelpful generalisation. I don't think many of those against shark culls are in favour of shark fishing. Regardless, the particularly at-risk shark species are protected - something the WA government has disregarded as their policy kills anything 3m+.

And shark finning is an absolutely abhorrent practice that fortunately looks like it is starting to decline.

Ultimately government sanctioned killing of endangered species is a totally seperate issue to illegal finning or regulated recreational fishing. Can you seriously not see the difference?