My wife is getting sick of all this MTB discussion - I gotta buy something soon.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
As suggested in the title, I have been back and forth on the whole HT and FS discussion. Though after taking my 26er HT out for a stromlo run, I am as sure as I can be that I am going buy a FS bike. I was hoping someone could recommend the best buy:
  • Specialized Camber - $2599
  • Super Bud 29R 4.0 $2399
  • Trek Fuel EX 6 29 - $2499
  • Cube AMS 120 29er - $2500
  • Giant Anthem X 29er - $2399
Whilst I have been focused on 29er, I am also interested in 27.5s. Not fused about a racey frame or something more laid back, nervous about 2nd hand though again willing to check something out. My riding style is fast single trail and cross country, keen to build my confience. I am 6'3" (115kgs) and seeking a large size frame.

To add to all of this my budget is currently totally maxed out at $2600. If you know of any up and coming sales or bike shops between Canberra and Sydney who may negotiate on a Large frame dually - please do let me know.

moorey

call me Mia
You'll get a hell of a near new, high end bike for $2500. Just saying is all. :behindsofa:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I just pulled the trigger on a Kona Hei Hei Deluxe.

I was pretty much looking at the same bikes. Here's why I went the Kona above all.

Specialized - Had a lower spec fork (I think 30 gold compared to reba) all else was good. Nice bike.
Superbud - ran out of stock - I remember a bike shop had them for real cheap (like just over 2k), I guess I missed out
Trek Fuel - Lower spec fork (xc32 v reba) some other componentry was also lower spec, also runs a triple chainset.
Cube - triple front chainset - I wanted double
Giant- This one was tough. The giant had better spec parts but in the end it came down to a few thing: Crazy Giant proprietary headset rubbish, 135mm rear axle vs 142 for the kona, I didn't like the colour of the giant, and wanted something different.

Hope it helps but pretty much yeah, that amount of money gets you a lot of bike.

On a side note, it seems the Giant 27.5 bikes are better value than their equivalent 29ers!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Giant trance is getting some solid raps.

This budget keeps growing! I say hold out and keep at her. Soon enough you will be choosing between a Santa Cruz, intense, or something in carbon...

Giant often have the better all round spec and personally I like the way a virtual pivot suspension system works. Much smoother ride.

swatto90

Likes Dirt
Hi mate. Why not think about a banshee parodox. 29er hardtail. Steal frame. Im running one at stromlo and love it. Doesnt feel like a normal 29er. If you want I can organise to meet you out there for a test ride.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

crowash

Likes Dirt
You are overthinking things.

Just buy something and ride it.
Agreed, think of all the trails your missing while you make a decision. Call your local dealer for each and whoever agrees to throw in a dropper post wins.

For what its worth I'd go the Camber or the Fuel.

vlyle

Squid
Id have to say go for the Fuel EX. Ive got and EX5 and love it (only cause i couldn't afford a better or otherwise it would have been the Fuel EX9.7)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you are worried about the spec of the 2014 camber comp have a look around for the 2013 model on runout. Better spec fork and brakes than the 2014 and well within your budget on runout price. i love mine.

Last edited:

f_r

Squid
you might also want to consider the L frame vs XL. I'm 6'3" also and riding a Devinci Dixon. Size L. Its a great bike and i am very happy with it EXCEPT, I bought a size L and feel a bit cramped on it. Obviously i don't know what your torso to leg ratio is but i found that unless I ride a long stem, my knees get quite close to the handlebars. Once you have decided on the bike go to the store you are buying it from and ask them to set it up for you/give you advice on frame size. Even better they let you test ride it. Once you have a frame that fits you, you can play around with stem length and height. The frame is your base though and if that does not fit you can play around with stem length/rise and height as much as you want and it will never feel 'quite right'.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
you might also want to consider the L frame vs XL. I'm 6'3" also and riding a Devinci Dixon. Size L. Its a great bike and i am very happy with it EXCEPT, I bought a size L and feel a bit cramped on it. Obviously i don't know what your torso to leg ratio is but i found that unless I ride a long stem, my knees get quite close to the handlebars. Once you have decided on the bike go to the store you are buying it from and ask them to set it up for you/give you advice on frame size. Even better they let you test ride it. Once you have a frame that fits you, you can play around with stem length and height. The frame is your base though and if that does not fit you can play around with stem length/rise and height as much as you want and it will never feel 'quite right'.
This is true. Of you want to cut down your options, look at all the bikes where at 6'3 you are on the cusp of large and XL and stop considering them - I'd be more inclined to go with the bike that comes in slightly smaller frames and then pick their XL - especially if you are keen on the shorter stem concept

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
GT have been running the I drive system for a long time. They have some solid bikes in the range you are looking.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
You are overthinking things.

Just buy something and ride it.
Agreed, think of all the trails your missing while you make a decision. Call your local dealer for each and whoever agrees to throw in a dropper post wins.

For what its worth I'd go the Camber or the Fuel.

Yep, I usually do over think things. I found a 19" Cube AMS 120 29er 2013 reduced from $2600 to $2000, though not sure what 19" means in Large vs Medium or what have you. Any ideas? The Camber was a great ride, though Trek and On the Rivett in Phillip offer great warrenties and service - that may just sway my thinking.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where are you from? $2500 will only get you the base line of dual suspension bikes in Australia. Which I suppose are nice bikes, but well alright..
I think he meant second hand.

The trading section of Rotorburn is a good start, perhaps.

Minlak

custom titis
Yep, I usually do over think things. I found a 19" Cube AMS 120 29er 2013 reduced from $2600 to $2000, though not sure what 19" means in Large vs Medium or what have you. Any ideas? The Camber was a great ride, though Trek and On the Rivett in Phillip offer great warrenties and service - that may just sway my thinking.
I have a Cube Acid HT in 20" I'm 6'1" and it is perfect I would call it a large based on other bikes I have ridden. So your 19" would be a Small/Large or a Big/Medium if that makes sense. Ideally you need to ride what you are going to buy as the sum total of the geometry will add up for your perfect fit. Decide for yourself too don't let the salesman use terms like "flickabilty" to convince you on a smaller bike cause that's what he has in stock.