My wife is getting sick of all this MTB discussion - I gotta buy something soon.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
As suggested in the title, I have been back and forth on the whole HT and FS discussion. Though after taking my 26er HT out for a stromlo run, I am as sure as I can be that I am going buy a FS bike. I was hoping someone could recommend the best buy:
  • Specialized Camber - $2599
  • Super Bud 29R 4.0 $2399
  • Trek Fuel EX 6 29 - $2499
  • Cube AMS 120 29er - $2500
  • Giant Anthem X 29er - $2399
Whilst I have been focused on 29er, I am also interested in 27.5s. Not fused about a racey frame or something more laid back, nervous about 2nd hand though again willing to check something out. My riding style is fast single trail and cross country, keen to build my confience. I am 6'3" (115kgs) and seeking a large size frame.

To add to all of this my budget is currently totally maxed out at $2600. If you know of any up and coming sales or bike shops between Canberra and Sydney who may negotiate on a Large frame dually - please do let me know.
Ok, gone through a few of these, the cube you mentioned is too small. The trek fuel has a quite poor component spec, especially the forks , which personally I rate as the next most important thing after the frame, thus I would also not consider the camber with recons.

The super bud is an unknown to me, so I am left with the giant anthem. I have owned a giant anthem for a couple of years, also had a camber 29, and currently ride a Santa Cruz tallboy and niner jet rdo - I absolutely rate the ride on the anthem 29er and will be sorry to see it go.

Provisos- even though the shop would try and put you on a large - do not . Get an XL and a 70 or 80mm stem put on the thing, and contemplate a dropper post as well. I am assuming you are looking at a 1 withe with slx groupset and most importantly shimano SLX BRAKES, along with shadow plus.

It's a slightly slacker bike in the XC arena, but very efficient for pedalling which is a nice balance for all round riding. If you do enough Kay's and manage to break the frame, by the time you do, they'll probably only have carbon to replace it - win win. Their warranty is second to no one.

If you want trouble free cycling, look for reba and above in rockshox or any fox fork (15mm axle) shimano deore and above brakes, shadow plus or sram type 2 dérailleurs are also a benefit. Dropper post is an aftermarket add on. Pretty much all gears work well as long as they are 10 speed

Edit. - also support the view that a 29er is most suited to your height, and tyres and wheelsets are super easy to come by.

Last edited:

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Argh near new. Apologies for misreading your post and thanks for the tip regarding the trading area. I promised my wife a night with her rather a night than researching MTBs. So good night, and looking forward some more discussion tomorrow evening

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Brilliant - thanks

Ok, gone through a few of these, the cube you mentioned is too small. The trek fuel has a quite poor component spec, especially the forks , which personally I rate as the next most important thing after the frame, thus I would also not consider the camber with recons.

The super bud is an unknown to me, so I am left with the giant anthem. I have owned a giant anthem for a couple of years, also had a camber 29, and currently ride a Santa Cruz tallboy and niner jet rdo - I absolutely rate the ride on the anthem 29er and will be sorry to see it go.

Provisos- even though the shop would try and put you on a large - do not . Get an XL and a 70 or 80mm stem put on the thing, and contemplate a dropper post as well. I am assuming you are looking at a 1 withe with slx groupset and most importantly shimano SLX BRAKES, along with shadow plus.

It's a slightly slacker bike in the XC arena, but very efficient for pedalling which is a nice balance for all round riding. If you do enough Kay's and manage to break the frame, by the time you do, they'll probably only have carbon to replace it - win win. Their warranty is second to no one.

If you want trouble free cycling, look for reba and above in rockshox or any fox fork (15mm axle) shimano deore and above brakes, shadow plus or sram type 2 dérailleurs are also a benefit. Dropper post is an aftermarket add on. Pretty much all gears work well as long as they are 10 speed

Edit. - also support the view that a 29er is most suited to your height, and tyres and wheelsets are super easy to come by.
Thanks heaps for this discussion piece, feeling much more comfortable spending so much money. My physio was also recommending Giant over all the others. Someone further up recommended Giant Trance 27.5 2 SLX spec - whilst breaking my budget at $2700 - I am planning to visit Pushys or Onya this weekend. Great work.

L4M3G4M3R

Likes Bikes
If you can manage to get it at that mate, it's a great bike. XT rear mech, XT crankset, with SLX brakes, shifter and front mech.

Great fork and shock for the cash....plus the 27.5 wheelbase feels much more agile than my 29er.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is $2700 the rrp on this bike? Because if it is...learn to haggle! I would be expecting at least 30% from any retailer at this time of year, but pushing for more. This is a buyers market.

L4M3G4M3R

Likes Bikes
Is $2700 the rrp on this bike? Because if it is...learn to haggle! I would be expecting at least 30% from any retailer at this time of year, but pushing for more. This is a buyers market.
$3399 is the retail...so you are spot on...I managed to get it for $2700 without too much trouble.

LG.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
then it is sorted!

Brilliant! Moose we expect photos of the new bike in the next 24hrs. Unless you have another budget upgrade.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
This budget keeps growing! I say hold out and keep at her. Soon enough you will be choosing between a Santa Cruz, intense, or something in carbon...
Hahaha ha hmm yes, it appears that way. But really I am freaking out a bit speaking more than $2000. The budget has always been set at $3000 for the year and I need to buy some MTB shorts, and turn my racer into a flat bar commutter.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Can not spend the money

Went into Onya in Woden, and they had an Ex Demo Anthem 27.5 full XT and Fox Suspension reduced from $3500 to $2000. I went to my 5 year old so I could test ride the bike, returned 20 minutes later and the bike was sold. Second choice was the Anthem X 29er 1 reduced from $2999 to $2699 and managed talk them down to $2600 - they could not do any better. And it seems I am mantally unable to part with so much cash, especially when my wife keeps reminding me of the main purpose of my cycling needs - commutting. PRESSURE to go back to the HT. AAARRRGGGHHHHH......

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You need to go out and buy a blinged out Pivot or maybe a Yeti. Full XTR or XX1 and some carbon Envi rims on Chris King hubs. This should swing the balance of power back your way a bit. Either that or you'll be single and have all the time and cash in the world to blow on bikes.
But seriously, next time you see a deal you're happy with, buy the damn thing. They're all good bikes. And like you wife I'm tired of your whining and I don't even know you.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Momentry lapse of reason

all is well, feeling better about the purchase and spending so much money - bring on tomorrow.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Spend spend spend! Money is useless for every single aspect of life except spending! Take these example$:

- as a decorative/artistic item it is generally ugly.
- as a toy it is either too valuable or a choking hazard.
- as toilet paper it is not absorbent enough.
- as a collectable item it depreciates fast.
- as a food it has no nutritious value.
- as a blanket it is not very warm, but also breathes poorly.
- as a bed it is very uncomfortable and also breathes poorly.
- as a coffin liner it is silly.

I expect ouout ill have many happy years ahead on this new bike. If your wife wants a pretty pile of coins to look at let her collect them. Get them bike. Aside from the joy of riding other bennrfits include:

- improved body weight muscle tone vs fat tone situation.
- improvedd cardio endurance.
- more physical strength rather than just gym bulk.
- butt cheeks that will crack walnuts.
- a bigger cock.

What wife doesn't want these benefits? She'll have the most exciting husband as bbqs and be the envy of her friends with their boring piles of money. Time for winning!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
all is well, feeling better about the purchase and spending so much money - bring on tomorrow.
And don't fall for that "we can't do any better..." line. Of course they can! 10%??? That's the kind of discount you give a mother in law.

If you see a mad deal (like the demo from yesterday) put a tiny deposit on it or just ask them to hold it.

Mossy J Moose

Likes Bikes
Bought it

Giant Anthem X 29er 1 - they have to order in the Large and I will pick it up on Thursday afternoon. Looking forward to ride Friday morning as the sun comes up on Stromlo.