What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Look good. I don't get why they drill the top in shallow so the star tool has less purchase though. Might as well have just stuck with allen keys.
What brand are these bolts?
If anyone ever finds ti bolts with deep socket heads please let me know ;-)
They are ProTi Bolts. Looks like they have had quite a few years at making these for super bikes, and have only just moved into bikes

http://www.proti-bicycles.com/category-s/1814.htm

Guy i got in contact with is Andreu, been very helpful and very quick on the responses, can't wait to get these babies.

If you want to see pics of them installed on a MTB, the sockets look quite deep, perhaps its camera angle in the above pic making them seem shallower

Attachments

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
If you want to see pics of them installed on a MTB, the sockets look quite deep, perhaps its camera angle in the above pic making them seem shallower
Some of them look pretty shallow. Rotor bolts as deep as a rotor is thick. Counter sunk and bottom looks far from flat. No big deal, just seems stupid. Modern built in obsolescence is ghey.
I doubt there's much in it between any of them. Ti alloy mix is as or more important.
Cheers for the pics though.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Swapped a 34T Hope ring out for a 34T E13 NW and NN SS Pacestar for a HD Pacestar as my rear tyre.

Now 13.9kg with pedals (from 13.7)

Just waiting for my Reverb now...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode to school with my kids.....it's pretty close (5min ride) but one kid rolled his ankle the other day so riding was better than walking and I mostly ride to work anyway, just means they got to school a bit earlier than they should.
Oh yeah if you roll your ankle pretty bad (like playing some basketball game at a work xmas party when you've been drinking) and you can't walk very well, it's actually still possible to ride home quite comfortably :) Ha ha at least I wasn't too drunk to see where I was going compared to my husband who was apparently just following the flouro bits on my shoes (dusk /getting close to dark).

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Truely epic ride...NOW WITH PICS...

As requested, pics added from my friends cameras...
For the record, I'm on the Sight Carbon
92.1km [57miles]
1222mts [4009ft] climbing
Time actually on the bike riding 7'27"
Time return from parked car 10'30"
Maximum temperature 32c [89.6f]
With 3 good mates through some of the remotest, gnarliest, washed out, rutted, steepest, hottest, humid, biting fly infested single track [or no track at all] country that Far North Queensland inland of Cairns has to offer. Without the topo maps and GPS we would still be out there!
We did not see a single soul on the ride [lunch stop at the half way point excepted]
Lost count of the creeks crossed, unrideable hills hike a biked and laughs had : )
No crashes, no mechanicals, no hissy fits

Truly awesome day

A bit hot

A break to regroup and check the GPS

About $22k of bikes [AUD]

Eroded, rough and rocky

Where to cross?

Track? what track? this was the line on the GPS we were following

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fitted the fatbar that's been sitting in the shed for months that I got on sale, which moorey directed me to, swapped the X fusion hilo for the Reverb I bought off moorey, and wacked on the loaner NW ring moorey gave me to trial.......fuck, it's getting harder and harder to backstab him to anyone that'll listen.

Cheers arse eyes, couldn't lend me a couple of grand could you?

ChopSticks

Banned
bought 2 pairs of mtb gloves, a 4 person tent (for myself) and a folding chair with foot rest.....all in preparation for the Mont24 :D :D

just need an air mattress / stretcher to sleep on now..... recommendations guys? are air mattresses only used for home applications where there are no sharp.uneven surfaces?
the comfort of an air mattress and the price is appealing... but dont want to wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on rocks..... the stretcher option is more expensive.... not sure about comfort, but the face I'm off the ground is a real plus. What do you outdoor folks sleep on?
(yes I should harden up and just sleep in a sleeping bag over a yoga mat. but thats not the point :p)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I purchased one of these.
Little man loved it so much I had to take him on a second ride because he cried when we got home after the first ride and I told him "No more".

pliskin

Likes Dirt
bought 2 pairs of mtb gloves, a 4 person tent (for myself) and a folding chair with foot rest.....all in preparation for the Mont24 :D :D

just need an air mattress / stretcher to sleep on now..... recommendations guys? are air mattresses only used for home applications where there are no sharp.uneven surfaces?
the comfort of an air mattress and the price is appealing... but dont want to wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on rocks..... the stretcher option is more expensive.... not sure about comfort, but the face I'm off the ground is a real plus. What do you outdoor folks sleep on?
(yes I should harden up and just sleep in a sleeping bag over a yoga mat. but thats not the point :p)
harden up princess. to go on my experience last year, didn't end up sleeping that much, anyway.
was on a team of 4, that were completing laps every 80 - 100 mins. which meant that after each person finished a lap, there was a potential of 4 - 4.5 hours before you had to be out on course again . this will vary depending how many ppl are on your team/ how strong they are .

not to mention the 10 minutes to get back to your campsite from race HQ, then go have a shower/ change riding gear for warm sleeping gear /, drink more beer / eat late night pizza / chat to some randoms at 2am in the lineup for the showers/ chat to randoms in the 45minute wait for coffee at 7 am on Sunday morning / manage to wake up, spend 10 minutes getting into damp riding gear ( in the dark ) that has already been sweated into twice/ get to transition 15minutes before your teammate is scheduled to get in, in case they had a blinder of lap.
did 1st lap at 12 on Saturday, then second lap at 6.30 pm, slept for a few hours. did next lap close to 12.30 am , slept for a few hours, did 6am lap . then got to campsite to begin packing up at 740 am.
also take into account the ground is in no way flat, at the campsite. so even if you have a fancy mattress, its doesn't guarantee a better sleep, considering how wired you will be after each lap.

id be more concerned what temp rating your sleep bag is rated too, it got down to 5c for Sunday morning sunrise ,was extremely foggy too.

and to clarify, ill be back to do it all again this year

ChopSticks

Banned
harden up princess. to go on my experience last year, didn't end up sleeping that much, anyway.
was on a team of 4, that were completing laps every 80 - 100 mins. which meant that after each person finished a lap, there was a potential of 4 - 4.5 hours before you had to be out on course again . this will vary depending how many ppl are on your team/ how strong they are .

not to mention the 10 minutes to get back to your campsite from race HQ, then go have a shower/ change riding gear for warm sleeping gear /, drink more beer / eat late night pizza / chat to some randoms at 2am in the lineup for the showers/ chat to randoms in the 45minute wait for coffee at 7 am on Sunday morning / manage to wake up, spend 10 minutes getting into damp riding gear ( in the dark ) that has already been sweated into twice/ get to transition 15minutes before your teammate is scheduled to get in, in case they had a blinder of lap.
did 1st lap at 12 on Saturday, then second lap at 6.30 pm, slept for a few hours. did next lap close to 12.30 am , slept for a few hours, did 6am lap . then got to campsite to begin packing up at 740 am.
also take into account the ground is in no way flat, at the campsite. so even if you have a fancy mattress, its doesn't guarantee a better sleep, considering how wired you will be after each lap.

id be more concerned what temp rating your sleep bag is rated too, it got down to 5c for Sunday morning sunrise ,was extremely foggy too.

and to clarify, ill be back to do it all again this year
luckily I'm in a team of six... unluckily I'm the slowest ... so it means i get the 'least' amount of chilling time.

appreciate all the tips and a rough break down... this will be my first ever race. So i have no idea what to expect... hence would prefer to be over, than under prepared.

I know canberra morning temps during april can drop to 0 degrees... so I'm well aware an appropriate sleeping bag is a must !

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
luckily I'm in a team of six... unluckily I'm the slowest ... so it means i get the 'least' amount of chilling time.

appreciate all the tips and a rough break down... this will be my first ever race. So i have no idea what to expect... hence would prefer to be over, than under prepared.

I know canberra morning temps during april can drop to 0 degrees... so I'm well aware an appropriate sleeping bag is a must !
Why have a 4 man tent and a little sleeping bag? How about blow up and quilt?

I dare you to write "chops" on your rear plate :)

ChopSticks

Banned
Where'd you find those bolts Chops? I need a new bolt for my remote...not even sure what size it is.
the Ti bolts I bought were for the saddle head clamp, not the remote end.... however the remote clamp bolt uses a 3mm allen key, so i assume its a M3 bolt with 2mm thread?
Going to be really hard to buy a single bolt in that size.... you might have more luck using an old bolt from a grip's lock ring?

Why have a 4 man tent and a little sleeping bag? How about blow up and quilt?

I dare you to write "chops" on your rear plate :)
I was thinking that too...but unsure how safe it is to have an air mattress on the camping grounds of kowen... ie sharp rocks?
is it even 'legal' to write on your racing plates?