Five Ten Quality Going Down?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Hey all

I owned my first Impact V2's for around 3 years before they finally started to really fall apart. The out sole separated from the mid sole after a night sitting very close to a fire.

I bought a set to replace them and the out and mid-sole have separated from the upper of the shoe after only a year or so where they were never used outside riding. The sole looks fine and the uppers look brand new. Similar story with some Five Ten free runners I bought for daily wear.

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed a decline in the quality of Five Tens? LBS owner seemed to agree with me when I mentioned it.

Cheers, Russ.

ChopSticks

Banned
hey Russ,

Had a quick search, but couldnt find anything. I do recall this being brought up a few months ago... can any RB'ers find the thread??

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Que the calls of "The original run they did for intense was the bestest"

But yep Agree my original impacts lasted ages worn as a trail building and general kick about shoe more than a riding shoe.

The latest version (can't remember which model) wore through the sole faster than and a fat dude through a pie

moorey

call me Mia
Glue on the rubber around the front is woeful on my newer ones. On a warm day they delaminate.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A bit sad.... everything is going this way these days, nothing is meant to last now.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Agreed, my first couple pairs of 510s lasted me ages, I used to trash them and do everything in them. My most recent purchase was only a few months ago and they've already stretched a fair bit, the sole's coming apart round the toe area and I haven't even ridden in the wet with them :(

Oh, and the pair I had before my most recent purchase. I slightly caught my toe on a rock and it ripped 1/3 of the sole off........ If it had been my first couple of pairs they would've destroyed the rock.. hehe

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I bought a pair of Salomon shoes in Lithuania (of all places) in 2000 for about USD$25. I've used them for all styles of riding from DH to street, XC, etc. I just stopped using them about a month ago because I went clipless. I reckon they'd last me at least another 5 years yet too.

The Salomons and Catepillar shoes have been the longest lasting shoes I've ever bought. Picked up some heavy duty cat above the ankle boots in Malaysia in 1995 for AUD$60. They've been everywhere including the Great Wall on an overnight trek on shit that I thought was going to crumble and kill me, they've done Swedish winters and Phuket shim bars, you name it. I still have them and will dust them off again when the going gets tough. Nothing like a good pair of shoes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Keep em rockin Johnny.... the newies aren't going to get the same poz post by the sounds of it.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it varies between models. Still, the freeriders from a couple of years back seem better than the newer model. And the latest freerider model has a retarded grip pattern (below). It grips on pedals OK on the ground, but sucks in the air, and really sucks if you're walking up a slippery hill....

10169368_10152356911896171_1517165214_n.jpg

my02

Likes Dirt
I've got the same issue on my Low Impacts.

However it was pointed out to me the other day that, on some versions, where the sole attaches to the front of the shoe some were glued on and some were sewn on. It seems that those sewn on last waaaaaaaaaay longer.

That said, my first 510s were a pair of running shoes (still with same sole compound, just different tread). They're 5 years old and the very front is just starting to come unstuck.

scblack

Leucocholic
I bought a pair of Salomon shoes in Lithuania (of all places) in 2000 for about USD$25. I've used them for all styles of riding from DH to street, XC, etc. I just stopped using them about a month ago because I went clipless. I reckon they'd last me at least another 5 years yet too.

The Salomons and Catepillar shoes have been the longest lasting shoes I've ever bought. Picked up some heavy duty cat above the ankle boots in Malaysia in 1995 for AUD$60. They've been everywhere including the Great Wall on an overnight trek on shit that I thought was going to crumble and kill me, they've done Swedish winters and Phuket shim bars, you name it. I still have them and will dust them off again when the going gets tough. Nothing like a good pair of shoes.
Salomon are also owned by Adidas. Good shoes.

I bought a pair of Salomon shoes about 12 years ago, they were great, and went back to the same shop to get another pair a year or so later. They had none. The sales guy told me that the Adidas sales rep had come in and point blank stated: You are buying X number this model, X number this model, X number this - and that was 2-3 times their normal sales rates. The shop said no, we'll order what we want when we need it. The Adidas rep stuck to it so the shop pulled them out of the store, and ordered none. Years ago someone on Rotorburn/Farkin worked in these shops and confirmed this.

On topic I have a pair of 5-10 Impact V2 bought about 6months ago. Going great with no problems at all. Not really worn a lot though, as I really only ride MTB every second week at best these days.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got email notification that someone had these on sale, wonder if it could be related to quality or Addidas sales methods.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've always thought they were rubbish...

I grabbed a pair of Five Ten Guides in 1998 or 1999 back when they first appeared on the Oz market and distributed by Spelean or Outdoor Agencies. Back when they were climbing approach shoes rather than riding shoes. Any they didn't last much longer than they seem to now - of course then they could be re-soled with climbing rubber (and I did do this once) but the uppers split after 18 months and I figured they weren't worth the expense. Never considered them since.

I've also tried Keen shoes...but they are rubbish too.

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Riding 510's Sam Hill Monsters everyday with aggressive shoe eating pedals over the last 18 month and they are still going strong.
Only a little bit of laminating at the side of the shoe and the sole is showing some wear but this is to be expected.
I have used other shoes and they were eaten up by V12's or simular pedals in halve the time with halve the grip.

I recon until there is clear evidence that there is a better shoe out there with the same amount of grip 510's rock. (no matter who owns them)

moorey

call me Mia
I recon until there is clear evidence that there is a better shoe out there with the same amount of grip 510's rock. (no matter who owns them)
I still rate my Sombrio floats right up there with my 5tens for grip, and theyre a lot better constructed...albeit not so padded.....and not made any more :pout:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
For $50 just get 2 pairs & then they'll last twice as long

http://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/5-10-karver-shoe-smokey-blue
If only I wasn't size 14...
Pisses me off that nobody in Australia stocks size 14!

Gotta get mine from CRC at a pretty standard price. :(
Ordering my first pair next week, the Danny Macaskill Freeriders... and I better be blown away, damn it!

I've been riding in DC skate shoes and I'm tired of losing grip and having my feet lose contact with the pedals in the air more often than not.
Meant to get some sooner but it's just hard to find something I like in my size.