Yarra Trails regulars

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from another forum ... farkin hell:

bizarre experience and i can't quite tell if it was something suss or not - on the myt along the straight section of yarra flats right before the carpark and burgundy st underpass, i see a guy sitting in the grass to the right of the trail. i slow and ask if he's alright, he says yeah but everything about him says no. i stop and ask if he needs help, he asks me to help him up, so i do, then he says he's having muscle spasms, which is self-evident. i convince him that he should be sitting down, help him to do so, then he lies down and asks me to sit on top of him. i (eventually) reluctantly sit on his back to hold him still against the spasms, by now looking around for an accomplice or something. eventually he asks me to lie flat on top of him, thus passing the limit of my good samaritan-ness, so i tell him i can't do that and are you sure you don't want an ambulance, he keeps saying it's fine.
finally a few other bike lights approach, much to my relief, and as they get quite near, he says he's fine, gets up and thanks me for my help and assures me he's ok. i'm not sure if i should feel violated or what. anyways, should you encounter this request in your travels, i'd keep rolling along.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I figured if someone suffered as much as you did, you can have the trail name. Where is this Pizza Hut on the loop?

I still want to know how you got on with that steep hill on the SS (the one where you went on the grass to get traction when we went through there). How many turn of the crank did you get out on it before walking? I assume you walked because I’m always dying at the top with my 24/36 granny.

You out on the trails this weekend? Weather looks great.
The pizza hut is off the bike path about 3 exits from Mullum tunnel. I walked that hill mate- you kidding me. I have been working in Sydney for the past three weeks so weekends are family catch ups- haven't been on a bike for a month. I will get into a groove soon mate and will be out and about. How is the hand?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still want to know how you got on with that steep hill on the SS (the one where you went on the grass to get traction when we went through there). How many turn of the crank did you get out on it before walking? I assume you walked because I’m always dying at the top with my 24/36 granny.
Ok, I read "hill" and "SS" and want to know where this is! Can you please post a gps of the ride, or even just outline where the climb is?

Cheers,

Coast

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Ok, I read "hill" and "SS" and want to know where this is! Can you please post a gps of the ride, or even just outline where the climb is?

Cheers,

Coast
I don't do technology- it is the fireroad climb up the powerlines about 5 kms on from Hans and the Orchid

we should meet Coaster- I think I would like you. AC might help here

Big AC

Likes Dirt
The pizza hut is off the bike path about 3 exits from Mullum tunnel. I walked that hill mate- you kidding me. I have been working in Sydney for the past three weeks so weekends are family catch ups- haven't been on a bike for a month. I will get into a groove soon mate and will be out and about. How is the hand?
Hand is all fixed thanks mate. Reading stories of people riding the trails whilst I was on the couch got frustrating; however, good to go now.

Cheers,

Coast
Ok Coaster you asked for it. If you can get up this thing on a SS then max respect, my 105kg geared up arse wouldn’t get close.

Google Map Target Rd in Warrandyte. Where the road ends in the parkland is the top of the hill. After riding off the end of Target Rd (through the gap in the fence) go down the fire road turn around and have a crack (i.e. you’ll be riding back towards the end of Target Rd heading south). It’s not long; the steep bit at the end is maybe 100m – 150m and the grip can be poor due to the loose rocky surface of the fire road. Right at the end of the climb is a water bar to stop rain sheeting down the fire road, so you have to crank over the lip of this when you are already stuffed.

The fire road might have a bike free sign at the end (restriction might just cover dirt bikes – I can’t remember?); however, there is never anyone around, a lot of people ride it, and you won’t do any damage to the fire road on your bike.

As Jathanas lives in the area I’m guessing he will know it.

I'll be out on the trails this weekend so let me know if you are going to have a crack.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't do technology- it is the fireroad climb up the powerlines about 5 kms on from Hans and the Orchid

we should meet Coaster- I think I would like you. AC might help here
I've been up that is it in currawong bush park ?here

Last edited:

al_

Likes Dirt
Ok Coaster you asked for it. If you can get up this thing on a SS then max respect, my 105kg geared up arse wouldn’t get close.

Google Map Target Rd in Warrandyte. Where the road ends in the parkland is the top of the hill. After riding off the end of Target Rd (through the gap in the fence) go down the fire road turn around and have a crack (i.e. you’ll be riding back towards the end of Target Rd heading south). It’s not long; the steep bit at the end is maybe 100m – 150m and the grip can be poor due to the loose rocky surface of the fire road. Right at the end of the climb is a water bar to stop rain sheeting down the fire road, so you have to crank over the lip of this when you are already stuffed.
Are we talking about this hill? I can actually get up this one so assume it has a bigger brother nearby - I'm quite confused though.

hill.jpg

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no that's it Al- I can make it with gears but not SS- cant get traction and throw up in my mouth.
Ah yes. That puppy. Done that a few times, never cleared on the SS. The water bar that was mentioned before is a killer. I love that ride out there, I ride the YT's, do Hans and then head out from there, do that climb, hang a right to the car hill climb (there's some ST in there) and then head down to MM. That whole ride is my SS utopia. I've heard (cough cough) there's also some nice ST past that Parks gate to the left off the Main Yarra trail before you hit the power line climb. I love that part of the ride, not that I've ever done it :madgrin:

I've gone on the Urban Epic ride a few times and the guys that do that ride are impressive to watch when attacking that climb.

Beej1

I've heard (cough cough) there's also some nice ST past that Parks gate to the left off the Main Yarra trail before you hit the power line climb. I love that part of the ride, not that I've ever done it :madgrin:
Since I may be heading out that way in the morning, can you pls elaborate where this bit of trail is so I can go and not ride it? It may be the way I normally ride but not sure.

After Hans I tend to ride past the orchid, climb up the ST on the RHS of the main Yarra trail, then back onto trail then hit the car club hillclimb and make my way to the top of the aforementioned powerline climb, literally where that photo was taken. I ride down that firetrail and follow the ST downstream then pop out at the little bridge over MM creek where you have to climb the fence. Is that the bit of ST you're talking about?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Since I may be heading out that way in the morning, can you pls elaborate where this bit of trail is so I can go and not ride it? It may be the way I normally ride but not sure.

After Hans I tend to ride past the orchid, climb up the ST on the RHS of the main Yarra trail, then back onto trail then hit the car club hillclimb and make my way to the top of the aforementioned powerline climb, literally where that photo was taken. I ride down that firetrail and follow the ST downstream then pop out at the little bridge over MM creek where you have to climb the fence. Is that the bit of ST you're talking about?
That it NP except after the ST on the right after the orchid, do the gate loop in reverse mate. Climb up the power lines and through the gate and ride to MUllum mullum tunnel- can't explain how
The warrendite club is organizing a ride there soon