The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

heavyp

You heard it here first
That Giant is sweet, seriously well done! It looks like it just rolled off the factory floor, is it a repaint?
Cheers, nah shes used just nice light helped the image haha you can see some chips on the rear end the other side is worse but yeah I bought it as it was clean.

A few new things on the build shock, rims, spokes, hubs, brakes and some others took me 14 months to build and source all the parts from all over the world and then took it to For The Riders in boxes for them to build it for me.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if anyone has ridden these forks before. Have had a couple of people tell me that they are to 'bouncy'. Riding will be mostly on the trail with no crazy jumps, well not intentional ones anyway.

donny70

Likes Dirt
I've ridden them, German A, hurrycats and fournales. They all work great but with the same basic problem on bigger drops. The suspension follows a J path so isn't suitable for larger drop offs as there is a notable backwards suck when you hit the ground. Obviously this makes for a fairly hairy ride. That being said I still have hurrycats and German A forks on two of my bikes. I just use them for XC is all and have standard telescopic forks on anything I use for more technical trails.

xr8ute

Squid
Kona Sex One

So back in January (Rob) Quannum very kindly offered this Kona Sex One free to a good home. So I drove up the rode, had a friendly chat with Rob, exchanged a six-pack of thankyou beers, and the "Good Karma" Kona was all mine :hippie:

WP_000397.jpg

I've been throwing a leg over this quite a bit over the last few months after finally freshening it up with new cables, BB, hub bearings and a an RS SID fork. I just recently fitted the LX crankset again after finding a replacement left-hand side crank arm (original had to be cut off). It makes for a really nice change of pace from my regular 29er hardtail.

WP_000461.jpgWP_000460.jpg

Thanks Rob!

haulawayjoe

Likes Bikes
The wheels alone my god!!
Yeah they could finance a whole bike, wish I had a set. For that matter I wish I owned the bike, although I would prefer an ARC ASLT if any one has one. Like Missy's, now owned by theproscloset ebay store.

MissysYeti-3.jpg

Stems that are a third the length of the top tube will make a come back, mark my words.
They never went out of style for me, but I am still sporting a mullet.

quannum

Likes Dirt
So back in January (Rob) Quannum very kindly offered this Kona Sex One free to a good home. So I drove up the rode, had a friendly chat with Rob, exchanged a six-pack of thankyou beers, and the "Good Karma" Kona was all mine :hippie:
Good stuff! She's looking much better than when she left here.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
nice, can I ask what the rear shock is? I just got my sex too rolling today with a fox vanilla air shock.

10317605_10152489856454365_8960308112056647981_o.jpg

View attachment 290986

I've been throwing a leg over this quite a bit over the last few months after finally freshening it up with new cables, BB, hub bearings and a an RS SID fork. I just recently fitted the LX crankset again after finding a replacement left-hand side crank arm (original had to be cut off). It makes for a really nice change of pace from my regular 29er hardtail.

View attachment 290984View attachment 290985

Thanks Rob!

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That Sex one has a Fox Alps 4 (early/mid 90s)

The yellow Sex two has a Fox Vanilla Float (late 90s, they may even stuck around until 2000ish)