Little Things You Hate

scblack

Leucocholic
The cost of baby related stuff. Its an industry unto itself, like the wedding industry.

Wifey was getting starry eyed at the $2k pram in the shop until I told her to snap the fuck out of it, we are not spending $2k on a pram and I don't give two fucks what the other women in the street/suburb think.

Fucks sake, it took me ages to come to terms with the price of mountain bikes, but a pram? No way.

I offered to go down to Bunnings and make one myself but that didn't go down well. In fact the whole trip to the baby shop turned into an argument.

Is there something I'm missing here? There is simply no rational part of me that can justify that sort of money for a couple of years use.
A McLaren pram or something looks nice but no way are they worthwhile. I bought our pram from Target, cost $399 (shit that's 10years ago now) and it did perfect. It needs plenty of storage space.

I found the three wheeler was best - manoeuvrable, stable and narrow. Make sure it has the biggest tyres possible, that's adds stability. I didn't get one, I think they were not around is a three wheeler with an add-able pod for the second smaller child, in front (and kind of above) the older one.

Women think - "This is my baby and we're getting the best we possibly can." Which translated means I think I can spend ridiculous amounts of money on dubious items.

scblack

Leucocholic
Why have we not invented a machine like in the Matrix where you can use babies to power your house?

It's pretty environmentally irresponsible not to be exploring this avenue, if you ask me?
Excellent thinking! Maybe I can hook up an exercise bike to a generator and we can run the house. Maybe investigate hooking up the wife's treadmill to it also.

And its fitness in the process. Kill two birds with one stone.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Why have we not invented a machine like in the Matrix where you can use babies to power your house?

It's pretty environmentally irresponsible not to be exploring this avenue, if you ask me?
Because as it turns out, they're selfish little bastards who fail to consider others.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The cost of baby related stuff. Its an industry unto itself, like the wedding industry.

Wifey was getting starry eyed at the $2k pram in the shop until I told her to snap the fuck out of it, we are not spending $2k on a pram and I don't give two fucks what the other women in the street/suburb think.

Fucks sake, it took me ages to come to terms with the price of mountain bikes, but a pram? No way.

I offered to go down to Bunnings and make one myself but that didn't go down well. In fact the whole trip to the baby shop turned into an argument.

Is there something I'm missing here? There is simply no rational part of me that can justify that sort of money for a couple of years use.
There are only two parameters to consider when buying a perambulator.

How small it will fold down to (ok, 2.5, make sure it is easy to fold down as well, the police will be called if you fling the pram across a car park in a blind rage. Don't ask!) they are huge fucking things, and along with all the other bad crap your wife will want to lug around, you will have no room in the car for the actual infant.

And the height of the handlebars, my wife stoopidly bought a tiny little pusher to take on a plane trip, only problem was the handles were at about waist height on me and I'm only 5'8 could not walk properly for about a month after that trip.

MasterOfReality

After forever
And the best bit is, so many of the prams are shit! I've lost count of the number of uber expensive prams I've seen that keep blowing tyres off when sitting in the back of the car on a hot day.

Most of the time its happening because Mum and dad keep pumping the tyres up to the 30psi stamped on the tyre sidewall, which sounds fine, until you pop the tyre off and see that despite the fact that the tyre clearly says 'mount only on hooked rims', the manufacturer of the stupidly expensive baby basket has gone and specced shitty, soft, hookless plastic rims that will only take 12psi, and at that pressure can barely even hold the tyre in place.
Haha I got the whole spiel about offroad tyres in the shop. Wtf, offroad tyres to go down to the park and to the shop? Where do you think you are going to push this pram? Up Mt Cootha?

Therein lies the issue.
Grasping at something that does not exist is a futile exercise.
I have ceased to try and understand.

A McLaren pram or something looks nice but no way are they worthwhile. I bought our pram from Target, cost $399 (shit that's 10years ago now) and it did perfect. It needs plenty of storage space.

I found the three wheeler was best - manoeuvrable, stable and narrow. Make sure it has the biggest tyres possible, that's adds stability. I didn't get one, I think they were not around is a three wheeler with an add-able pod for the second smaller child, in front (and kind of above) the older one.

Women think - "This is my baby and we're getting the best we possibly can." Which translated means I think I can spend ridiculous amounts of money on dubious items.
We went to our nearest Target and the cheapest one they had was a $500 Steelcraft thing. I knew things were heading downhill from there as I was relying on Target to demonstrate that it is possible to get something half decent for a not so overblown price hehe.

There are only two parameters to consider when buying a perambulator.

How small it will fold down to (ok, 2.5, make sure it is easy to fold down as well, the police will be called if you fling the pram across a car park in a blind rage. Don't ask!) they are huge fucking things, and along with all the other bad crap your wife will want to lug around, you will have no room in the car for the actual infant.

And the height of the handlebars, my wife stoopidly bought a tiny little pusher to take on a plane trip, only problem was the handles were at about waist height on me and I'm only 5'8 could not walk properly for about a month after that trip.
We are looking at a 3 wheeler one which folds up quite nicely. It stumped me in the shop though, easy to fold but I couldn't figure out how to unfold it so i walked away from it and left it on the ground. Its also pretty light. I think wifey has come around (she has no choice really lol) to the fact that its a complete waste of money (ie the $2k ones) and the money is better spent elsewhere.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
We went to our nearest Target and the cheapest one they had was a $500 Steelcraft thing. I knew things were heading downhill from there as I was relying on Target to demonstrate that it is possible to get something half decent for a not so overblown price hehe.

We are looking at a 3 wheeler one which folds up quite nicely. It stumped me in the shop though, easy to fold but I couldn't figure out how to unfold it so i walked away from it and left it on the ground. Its also pretty light. I think wifey has come around (she has no choice really lol) to the fact that its a complete waste of money (ie the $2k ones) and the money is better spent elsewhere.
Let me pass on the lessons I have learnt.

For kids gear like prams, bike and toy;s Ebay, gumtree, vinnies , salvos etc are your friend. Let someone else take the hit on buying new. All insanely expensive up front - then they get ditched after a year or two. That is when you pounce. After the baby arrives there will be numerous offers at play groups, mother groups etc to offload their stuff. Just get the bare minimum.

My advice, get the smallest pram you can get away with. Those big wheeled numbers look great, but when you have to lift them, take them in and out of car etc, heavy and take up loads of space. Something like a McLaren is great - they are small and they are light, and they last - they have limited space - but the less space you have - the less shit you carry. I guess a pram like that mightn't work for a new baby though.

I do have an old McLaren, that has done some Kms (even been bike touring in Spain) - still works fine, brake only works on one side, but thats ok. Happy to pass on for nix - you pay postage.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Take any pain killers/anti inflammatories prescribed. Tried to go iron man on the drug front, massive swelling ensued. Couppla days on the pills and I was back on the bike. Within a week of the op. Biggest issue will be wearing knicks with stubble.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Coincidentally just come out of day surgery from mine. Still in the recovery room. No riding for a week or two for me.
Wow, day surgery? Recovery room? Fark, i watched the simpsons while the doc messed around down there then shook hands and drove home, yours sounds serious!!

Definately chill for a couple of weeks at least. I went for a jog a week after because I felt fine... Big fucken mistake! Spent the next fortnight regretting it too...

Ltih - having a vasectomy
Ltil - having a vasectomy :p

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Don't count on it. Have you seen the price they used to sell those Porsche abominations for?

Terrible photo by the way, took a bit to work out what you were referring to :thumb:

camoshop

Banned
Don't count on it. Have you seen the price they used to sell those Porsche abominations for?

Terrible photo by the way, took a bit to work out what you were referring to :thumb:
Haha yeah it's probs expensive, haha yeah damn sun and reflection took a few and couldn't get a good shot with out going inside..
It looked pretty poxy couldn't see and parts I could identify. Just a gimmick for wanders with too much money..