So I'm going to Canberra................

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Planning a trip to Canberra in the school holidays. Floriade is on at the time, and while flowers are nice, and pretty.............fuck that!

Tell me where I need to ride!

So far on the list:
Stromlo
Kowen forest
Centenary trail
Bruce Ridge
Jerrabomberra
Majura

For my needs, I am XC rider with negligible technical skills, but post up whatever you got 'coz Dozer is interested too, and he can probably ride properly.

Thanks peeps!

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You can add to that list:
- Jerrabomberra (its just across the border near Queanbeyan and is like Bruce Ridge on steroids); and
- Majura - which is now open again and there are a number of old trails that are still rideable with lots of new stuff on the way (which needs riding in).

How long you got in Canberra?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
You can easily spend a day in Stromlo and a day in Kowen/Sparrow (you can ride til you drop on both). Some trails in Stromlo are quite technical. Kowen is not technical, flowy and the challenge is to use less brakes and go fast on these trails.
Bruce ridge is non technical as well, and I've been skipping it on my recent canberra trips as I prefer stromlo and kowen.

The centenary trail is on my to do list, so can't comment on that.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
- Jerrabomberra (its just across the border near Queanbeyan and is like Bruce Ridge on steroids); and
- Majura - which is now open again and there are a number of old trails that are still rideable with lots of new stuff on the way (which needs riding in).

Cool! Found Jerrabomberra here http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=15&lat=-35.38933&lon=149.22098&layers=B0000

Open cycle map is the bomb!

We are staying in Quenbeyan, so should be easy to get to.

In Canberra for a weekish from the 26th.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
You can easily spend a day in Stromlo and a day in Kowen/Sparrow (you can ride til you drop on both). Some trails in Stromlo are quite technical. Kowen is not technical, flowy and the challenge is to use less brakes and go fast on these trails.
Bruce ridge is non technical as well, and I've been skipping it on my recent canberra trips as I prefer stromlo and kowen.

The centenary trail is on my to do list, so can't comment on that.
Is Sparrow different to Kowen?

This is the area I am planning on riding http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&lat=-35.32871&lon=149.35874&layers=B0000

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thanks Pastavore, I'll be in town the week starting 6th October and am on the trail bike so very keen on Stromlo, Kowen and Sparrow Hill.

Majura Pines is open to ride? How do I get in? The airport side or the city side? Are any trails sign posted with suggested loops etc? I am super keen to ride there again, I did my first race there and totally loved it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Majura - There's a short little DH run, but otherwise its just XC stuff. There's some sort of new parking arrangement off Majura Road for access, but I just ride there through the back of Hackett. There is a fire road that goes between Mt Majura and Mt Ainslie.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

Hit up George for a ride....

He knows EVERYTHING!

Capone

Likes Dirt
Thanks SF, Capone and Ackers.

Georg does indeed seem to be a source of endless knowledge.
Best bet for Canberra is get to stromlo before lunch, ride, enjoy lunch and ride a lot more its that big

Another thing to note that Stromlo is completely different to Majura and Spowen. The last 2 are in pines with that really nice dirt, stromlo on the other hand is dusty and rocky.

Something to think about for your bike set up

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Best bet for Canberra is get to stromlo before lunch, ride, enjoy lunch and ride a lot more its that big

Another thing to note that Stromlo is completely different to Majura and Spowen. The last 2 are in pines with that really nice dirt, stromlo on the other hand is dusty and rocky.

Something to think about for your bike set up
Tyre suggestions?

I have Nobby Nics, Racing ralphs and Thunder Burts to choose from.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd go a NN front, RR rear. If you're feeling racy you can easily ride everything at speed with a RR front and TB rear.

I like the conti tyres so use a 2.4 XKing front and 2.2 Race King rear and that works pretty well for XC everywhere, wet or dry. There's no real loamy soil in Canberra, so its mostly variations on gravel and pine needles over hard pack.