Banshee Rune 26". Built to ride down and up mountains.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
This is a Great looking build.

Can't wait to see how it will turn out. I have been looking at the Banshee Rune and Intense Uzzi for an aggressive all mountain/do it all bike.

Very interested to see how the weight goes on the final build. How many kegs do you think you will be pulling up that hills?
It's close now, frame is in transit. Got all the parts for the build in the mail already. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how much it will weigh sorry. My main focus is that it is strong and reliable and is a true do everything bike. The adjustable geo and wheel size options is a major advantage over other options I considered.

Leeroy26

Likes Dirt
You won't be disappointed with the new Rune frame! They are toooo good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Another formula fan here, awesome brakes.
Owned both The Ones and RO's. Both have been fickle free and completely reliable - once the initial bleed was done, which was a pain in the arse to get perfect the first few times.
I prefer RO's over The Ones, more power and more modulation, although The Ones I had didn't have the FCS so I couldn't adjust exactly where I wanted the pads to contact.
I'd still be on The Ones if RO's didn't exist. Shimano are nice enough if you like the way they feel, but they're not for me.
Formula Fan here too.I have two sets of R1 Racing(The One front Calipers), two or three the Ones and a TI bitsa with the R1 Racing calipers. Not sure if I like the The One levers or R1 Racing levers better, still deciding.
FCS adjusters can be added to any Formula. Not too expensive, add weight to silly light brake so not too much of an issue.

I had a set of Formula T1s on the Spitfire, they were awesome. A little awkward to set up, especially on the thicker Hope discs. I had no problems when using Formula discs tho.
I far prefer the modulation and feedback from Formulas over Shimano, it's just a pity I smashed the master cylinder in a stack a couple of weeks ago.
Parts are very expensive... But performance is excellent.
The newer Formulas have more fluid space at the pistons to help with fatter rotors now.
All Formula levers push the same fluid I think, so buy those $60 ones in the for sale section and you can get yours going. and have spare pads.
Only thing i dislike is the brakes :x
Xt's or Zees cant go wrong.
As mentioned, have you tried them? Can go less wrong with Formulas than XTs or Zees thanks to adjusters.

Regarding brakes, have you ever used high end Formulas? I have some older formulas (oros) on my current bike and they have been terrible to setup, but Formula ROs are outstanding. Chalk and cheese. So looking forward to the "ones". If I don't like them, no problem, try something new and on sell. It's the only way you find out what parts work for you.
Pretty sure you'll be more than happy with them. Lighter than the Shimannos, more powerful, more adjustments.

Marzocchi 350 cr forks arrived todayView attachment 297189
Look forward to a ride report on these forks. and keen to see the full build. Burn those midnight candles if needed.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Wow, that should be easy to keep clean. Looks like it has infinitely adjustable geo as well. Nice.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I hope the stealth stealth option was free?

Haha, you're more desperate than I thought to be building a bike without a frame, going to be really nice when built. I presume the courier will be calling in on Monaday?

Sam Hill seems to understand....LOL
Taking into account that clipless pedals have won considerably more DH races, it's pretty obvious to which is superior, then throw in some hill climbing.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I hope the stealth stealth option was free?

Haha, you're more desperate than I thought to be building a bike without a frame, going to be really nice when built. I presume the courier will be calling in on Monaday
Yep. The most frustrating thing was it was in Geelong at 10:50 am Friday. I drove past where the depot was, if their communication was better I could have picked it up. Smart Send...not recommended.

Leeroy26

Likes Dirt
Where did you buy it from? I had no troubles with delivery from Ben at Singletracks. Was sent to Melb from NSW the next day! Looking forward to seeing it tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I'm liking the Banshee

Great looking build and write up.

I'm loving the stealth stealth frame. Any idea if there is a stealth stealth stealth frame? Does it come in stealth carbon stealth?

I'm looking at doing a similar build. A do everything bike but orientated towards going down the hill. I started looking at the Santa Cruz and Intense brands. Just too expensive :frusty:. This lead me to look further afield and I've seen people turning towards Banshee. The Rune looks like an awesome platform to build a sick bike around at a sensible price. Keep the pics and review coming.

I'm interested in how it rides as well as the final weight. Did you get the frame with the Cane Creek DB Air?

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Cane Creek DB Air? Good shock?

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411384097.062498.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411384114.633313.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411384136.498102.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411384174.905994.jpg
Frame has arrived! Busy trying to get it rolling. Brake Lines are going to need trimming down, anyone done this with Formulas?

Some nice extras with frame, touch up paint, cable clips, stickers etc. Its sitting pretty slack at the moment, might need to turn my stem upside down or get some very low rise bars. Extremely impressed with how it looks, frame colour is really cool. Seems to change colour in different light.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Brake Lines are going to need trimming down, anyone done this with Formulas?.
You should be able to cut line at lever end, if you don't flick fluid everywhere or pull lever in with hose disconnected. Once you reconnect hose. You can just attach syringe with some fluid in it, draw it up just gently and let go, draw up again, let go, repeat repeat repeat until all air stops coming up into syringe. Flick lines and lever a few times during this process. Shouldn't need to do a full bleed as there's no air past here. Put lever horizontal first(forgot that point).
If it doesn't work completely, reattach syringe and push pistons back in caliper to get more fluid/air to come up line. Pull lever in after a few syringe pull ups to get pistons back in a touch.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Certainly going to stand out on the trails!

Can help with the lines, done it many times.

Not sure if your supposed to reuse olives but never had a problem in practice.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Just got it together and went for a quick ride up the street. It is very rigid. Rear end feels amazing. Brakes are freaking shredding, sooooo powerful and great positive lever response. Formula T1s, get some! 350cr Forks not really feeling alive yet, I'm sure once they bed in the will have that Marz plushness. Wheels are nice and stiff, loads of traction on wider rims than I had before (mavic en321).

I am so happy with how it's turned out. I got everything I wanted in a bike, it is plenty tough enough to do me and it cost less than any of the bikes I was considering buying off the shelf.

Do yourself a favour, contact Stu from Defcon for a deal on a Banshee. He confirmed that if you tell him I referred you he will give you a discount on the spot! They was some up hiccups with the delivery, but Stu kept up the lines of communication and resolved it quite professionally.
http://www.defconcycles.com.au

Further proper ride review and analysis of the spec to come. Have to get some better pics posted too.