Sram xx1

camoshop

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm making the move to 1x and loosing the 2x10 on my anthem, manage to source all the parts online, however with the crank arms im not too familiar with Sram. My question is besides the obvious shaft thickness what's the difference bennifits between the BB30 crank arms and the GXP? The price difference isn't thar much difference between the 2. Also will these work with the press for BB on my 2014 anthemx1. Also usually the standard Q factor is around 166 but sram have an option of 156 or 168 im leaning towards the 168 for the anthem.

Any help would be great. :boink:
Thanks.
Cam

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You'll need GXP for the anthem. 168 is more std. width and would be a much safer bet on the anthem I'd say. You will need to get a new bottom bracket installed for the GXP cranks.

Good move.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
156 generally doesn't fit dual sussers. They're more (but not specifically) suited to whippet hardtails.
BB30 cranks will not fit in a frame designed for GXP, the frame cups are too small.
I also woundnt bother with XX1 unless you want the weight saving. X01 or even the new X1 can be bought for more logical money.

You will need a Gxp bb or adaptor. I use Hope BB for this very reason, the adaptor is easy to get and costs $12.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
156 generally doesn't fit dual sussers. They're more (but not specifically) suited to whippet hardtails.
BB30 cranks will not fit in a frame designed for GXP, the frame cups are too small.
I also woundnt bother with XX1 unless you want the weight saving. X01 or even the new X1 can be bought for more logical money.

You will need a Gxp bb or adaptor. I use Hope BB for this very reason, the adaptor is easy to get and costs $12.
You'd be surprised. I'm running XX 156Q GXP cranks on my Blur XC and on the GT Force before that. Plenty of clearance on the blur, the force was close but still worked.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 429c also can take 156 cranks..

Cam what bb does your anthem currently have? Pf92?

camoshop

Banned
Cheers guys, pretty set on xx1, wouldn't running xx1 cassette and rear mech with xo X1 be like running deore with xtr haha. Kyle not sure on the specs on the giant web site says my bb is a shimano BB71 press fit

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Cheers guys, pretty set on xx1, wouldn't running xx1 cassette and rear mech with xo X1 be like running deore with xtr haha. Kyle not sure on the specs on the giant web site says my bb is a shimano BB71 press fit
nothing wrong with running a cheap mech and better shifter. i've always used high end shifters with a step or 2 down on the derailleur, crisp as.
the XX groupsets have always been about low weight. X0 is a bee's dick heavier, but cheaper.

eg...
XG1199(XX1) cassette - $330 and 260 grams
XG1195(X01) cassette - $290 and 275 grams

ChopSticks

Banned
you're going to 1x..... but are you going to 11spd or just 10? Coz you can always keep your existing 2x SLX cranks and space out the ring?

cant comment on actual BB/crank standards, but i will have a pressfit BB removal tool in a few days/week. So if you need to strip the bike/rebuild in the process of upgrading... you know where to come to!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano BB71 is for PF90/92 frames (which the Anthem is). The BB30 crank will not fit, GXP pres-fit will be a direct swap.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It scares me how much the cassettes are.. My xx1 cassette is not 600km old... I won't be replacing it with xx1 again unless they drop 20%...

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
PF71 is a press fit BB for a bike with a 41mm internal shell daimeter. It has a 24mm bearing ID and suits 89.5/92mm shell width.
It will suit any standard Hollowtech II crank. Deore/SLX/XT

If you want to go down the route of SRAM X01/XX1/X1 GXP you will need to replace the BB with one of these. The GXP spindle has different diameters at each side (24mm Drive side vs 22mm non Drive side.)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sram-pressfit-gxp-alloy-bottom-bracket/rp-prod75586

If it was me, I would go with the Hope alternative. Although not cheap... they are bullet proof and can be adapted to fit most cranks (Shimano and SRAM).
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-pf41-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod118519

You will probably need these to adapt to take odd GXP spindle diameters.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/hope-bottom-bracket-truvativ-gxp-converter/rp-prod26899

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah getting the 11 speed, 10/42 cassete.. are the X01 cranks carbon ?
The x01 cranks are the same arm as the xx1
Only difference is the BCD
Xx1 - 76mm
Xo1 - 98mm

The 76mm lets you run down to a 28t ring
But given your legs probably not needed. Both cranks allow you to remove spider and use direct mount NW rings from the other manufacturers like wolftooth etc.

I got xx1 cheaper than x01 when I built my bike as it was the older crankset, but now x01 is cheaper.

1x10 with an expanded ring on the cassette is a cheaper alternative with less expensive wear parts to replace. But xx1 would be the tits.

With my current setup I can convert to full xx1 for around $800

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
With all this 1x11 speed chatter, I'm so surprised that no one has mentioned XTR 11 speed.
It actually isnt bad value in comparison.
If I was going 1x11, I would without a doubt, be looking at Shimano.
I'm not a fan of SRAM shifters or derailieurs and much prefer the action of Shimano.

In saying that, SRAM cranks are the doggies!

scblack

Leucocholic
nothing wrong with running a cheap mech and better shifter. i've always used high end shifters with a step or 2 down on the derailleur, crisp as.
the XX groupsets have always been about low weight. X0 is a bee's dick heavier, but cheaper.
Its a good point. For DH a pretty standard setup is X0 shifter with X9 derailleur. The derailleur is cheaper and is the part likely to be snapped off. And the X0 shifter gives good shifting.

I ran that for years, and shifting was always perfect.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why change cranks? All you need is NW ring on you existing cranks......

otherwise get some nice next SL cranks for a tiny bit more than sram.

regarding Q factor, sram tec docs list frame widths that will suit 156/ 168 so all you need to do is measure your chainstays width and see if you have clearance.

Most duallies need 168 but not all as above....

and please, all this talk of wide range 10 speed- you'd need 11-46 to have the same range as sram 11 which is indeed the dogs balls.
Sure cassettes cost but they last a really long time.

Last edited: