Sram xx1

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
gripshift are for those of us who love to crest a steep hill and dump 10 gears in 1 go...

I have GS on all my bikes- well not the roadie....

Early XX1 GS had some issues ( I had 2 replaced) but they are now good.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
gripshift are for those of us who love to crest a steep hill and dump 10 gears in 1 go...

I have GS on all my bikes- well not the roadie....

Early XX1 GS had some issues ( I had 2 replaced) but they are now good.
More than a couple of people I know went gripshift after a right thumb injury stopped them from using conventional shifters easily. Don't seem to have gone back after the injury cleared up though.

Problem is, you have to become an unabashed sram fanboy to go gripshift, complete with hidden sram tatt.

ChopSticks

Banned
mate has gripshifter x01

have to admit... dumping a whole lot of gears is an awesome feeling from 1st up to 11 in one single twist!
does require some getting use to though... as i found I was changing too many gears at once... and also twisting the wrong way/wrong gears.... surely it wont be a problem once you get use to it !

edit: i do recall being told one of the benefits of gripshift is its lighter compared to a shifter set up.... not that you care about weight camo?

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
gripshift is great if you run grips you can cut down so that your thumb is always wrapped around the shifter.
Can click 1-2 gears each way without even moving your hand.
Grip is great for endurance riding as it can actually get hard to press with your thumb after 10+ hrs on the bike...

2x9 SRAM X0 gripshift was the Ducks! way lighter than conventional shifters and the front derailer was micro adjustable, clean shifts, never any chain rub....

2x10 was really nice and smooth but heavier with the addition of roller bearings

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
2x9 SRAM X0 gripshift was the Ducks! way lighter than conventional shifters and the front derailer was micro adjustable, clean shifts, never any chain rub....

agreed ! the trimming feature was freaking awesome!.... however not all models of x0 gripshifts had that option, soe x0's i used only a 3x clicks... nothing inbetween. :noidea:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Few points - early X01 OEM cranks were Alloy, these are now the X1 cranks. Not much in it for weight (didn't stop me changing to carbon though)
X01 is 94BCD, XX1 is 76BCD. Spiders are interchangeable, GXP-GXP or BB30-BB30, but not GXP-BB30. Direct Mount rings are the same, but you have to remove your cranks to change rings. XX1 and X01 spiders were designed to allow for rings to be easily swapped. Possibly because they wear quickly, but more likely to allow for racers to fine tune their gear combos - might go a 34-36 for a flat race, or a 28-30 for a steep race.
Other thing I found was that (without rings) the X01 and XX1 cranks were substantially cheaper than the XX and X0 ones, even though they are the same. If you can find S/H then even better...

Al..

ChopSticks

Banned
But isn't xo1 only 10 speed?
x1-xx1 are all 1x11 specific.
Cam is sorta right... x01 actually comes in 3 speeds..... 11, 10 and 7 (yes it comes in 10 you aren't reading wrong)

after some reading... I've finally decided to go SRAM 11spd over shimano (yes the back cassette won me over, along with wider range )

I spent hours reading and shopping for the cheapest price... with price and weight* in mind, it looks like I'll be going x01 cassette, either a X1 OR XX1 mech (only 4g's between the X1 and X01, so no point getting x01 given its +$37 difference for 4g, however more weight savings (30g~) going with the carbon XX1), as for shifter..... I'll opt for X01 (X01 an XX1 are IDENTICAL shifters internally, minus the carbon cover/lever of the XX1, no mention of weight, but x01 comes in at 91g)

Hope Freehub: as for XD free hub.... after a few hours of digging I can confirm you need a specific drive side adaptor if you plan on running 142x12 on the Hope XD free hub. it is slightly thinner than the regular x12 spacer... cheap fix ($10~ CRC)

with my research I also came across something interesting... did you guys know SRAM updated their type2 clutch?..... to Type2.1
no real mention of difference/improvement except 'revised roller bearing to reduce chain slap, and revised lock button', google sheds no light either !

* weights I've quoted are based of sram site..... googling actual weights shows differences (ie. XX1 mech coming in 20g~ heavier than the quoted 220g)

camoshop

Banned
edit: i do recall being told one of the benefits of gripshift is its lighter compared to a shifter set up.... not that you care about weight camo?
well i didn't but riding the cotic at 10kg yesterday felt nice and well, theres a few things i could do to make that lighter so maybe I've caught the weight weenie bug, or just spend too much time n this forum reading about weights haha if i ran a grip shifter i couldn't run my super nice esi chunkys

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Before you mount your XD cassette onto your freebub, make sure you grease the spline, the thread and the front lip of the freehub. This will avoid a REALLY irritating creak 100km later. Make sure you use a torque wrench and torque to 40Nm as well.

p4pb10660921.jpg

Last edited: