Food/Diet Help, Weight loss has stalled.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Over the last 3-4 years I have been working on getting my weight down. Started over the 110kg mark and now around the 90kg mark.

Last year my race weight (Endurance) was around 93kg however managed to get into the top 10 on all races (just).

Last 4 months I have been working on getting down to 80kg but have found that things have stalled at the 85kg mark.

Body fat is around 18-20%. diet tends to consist of
Oats and natural yogurt. Good sized bowl.
Regular leafy salad for lunch, No pastas or pototoes etc.
dinner is a vegetable/met stirfry, indian etc. No rice etc.
Occasional piece of fruit during the day

My only vice are flat whites, no sugar.

Things were ticking along great until the 85kg mark then weight has stopped coming off.

Was going to try fasting a few days a week to try and get past this.

Ideas/ Thoughts?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Over the last 3-4 years I have been working on getting my weight down. Started over the 110kg mark and now around the 90kg mark.

Last year my race weight (Endurance) was around 93kg however managed to get into the top 10 on all races (just).

Last 4 months I have been working on getting down to 80kg but have found that things have stalled at the 85kg mark.

Things were ticking along great until the 85kg mark then weight has stopped coming off.

Ideas/ Thoughts?
How are you measuring body fat? Unless it's a dexa scan or something fancy, chances are it's not accurate.

Sometimes weight loss plateaus when you start to reach pretty lean body composition. Maybe 85kg is a good healthy weight for you?

If you genuinely have more fat to lose, then it's not rocket science. You need to either eat less, exercise more, or both. Your diet sounds pretty sensible ( although a bit too low carb to my eye), so you would be looking at portion sizes. Increasing energy expenditure may be a good option for you.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Ideas/ Thoughts?
how did you come to the 18-20% body fat? Has a Dietitian put you on their scales?

i'm down 28kg and have also hit the wall at 18% body fat (14.5kg of fat). Dietitian thinks I can get to 7kg body fat ok)

What's your weekly exercise like?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Get some calipers mate. You need to know exactly where the weight is being lost. Not all of it will be fat.

I went from 90 to 81kg and was going to shoot for 78 and stay there. The last bit from 83-81 was a lot of muscle loss (upper body) which was not ideal for me.

When you start getting down and deep, there are sacrifices to be made. You don't pedal with your arms.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Body fat is estimated based on

Caliper test (Stomach, arms, Legs and back)
Just starting to see abs (Just if the light is right)
Veins starting to show on arms

My body type is pretty average with heavier build.

Age is 42 which is prob a big factor.

10 years ago I was around 75kg and that was lean. No need to get down to that level again.

Not worried about muscle loss at this stage. My races are endurance (3-5 hours) and muscle is not a criteria for that.
Have been keeping training moderate and relaxed (100-150km/week). Being careful not to burn the candle at both ends.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
How are you measuring body fat? Unless it's a dexa scan or something fancy, chances are it's not accurate.

Sometimes weight loss plateaus when you start to reach pretty lean body composition. Maybe 85kg is a good healthy weight for you?

If you genuinely have more fat to lose, then it's not rocket science. You need to either eat less, exercise more, or both. Your diet sounds pretty sensible ( although a bit too low carb to my eye), so you would be looking at portion sizes. Increasing energy expenditure may be a good option for you.
Recovering from a broken clavical for the last 6 weeks. Back into riding the last week or so.

Will see how I go over the next few weeks as my miles increase. Thinking low intensity is better?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Recovering from a broken clavical for the last 6 weeks. Back into riding the last week or so.

Will see how I go over the next few weeks as my miles increase. Thinking low intensity is better?
Ahhh, so that would explain your weight loss plateau then, yes?

High intensity definitely has a place, but if you are looking at increasing your weekly hours of exercise, increase with low intensity first. Trying to increase training time AND intensity at the same time can often lead to injury and/or illness.

Also, look for other opportunities for increasing energy expenditure. ie standing more often, walking more, taking steps rather than lifts etc etc. In terms of fat loss, every kj you burn counts, whether it is cycling or not.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
my dietician also taught me to not be scared of carbs. I was eating too much protein, and exceeding required energy intake, compensating for the lack of carbs

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Actually it has been the last few weeks where I have started getting back on the bike that it has plateaued. Anyway trying a fasting day today to see if I can break into the 84's

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just starting to see abs (Just if the light is right)

My body type is pretty average with heavier build.

Age is 42 which is prob a big factor.
Me too.

I've started the whole 'no food before midday' and it's going well. First few days I tried doing hard exercise around 11am/midday and I was mentally drained and irritable. Broke through that barrier and can now hammer out hard climbs and a workout at the gym and not feel I need food until 2pm. I don't do many carbs at all, not through a strict diet but I'm just not interested in bread, pasta, grains, etc. heaps of veg, fruit and all kinds of unprocessed meat. Even stopped the beer/boozahol. I've plateaued at 100kg (started at 110 after a few months off due to injury and a month long choc/beer binge).

I'm not doing this for any other reason than a bit of fun. I like to see how the body reacts in different circumstances and I enjoy pushing myself to see what happens. I do suffer lots of strain type injuries though, like tendonitis, knee strains, twinges in the back, etc. So I wouldn't take my advice on anything or even read this post if I were you.

I could do with a reduction in the alcohol I suspect.

Whist I don't drink Monday to Thursday I will have a couple ( 3 or 4 tops) on fri and sat nite but sunday is the the worst when anxiety about the coming week sets in. The grog alleviates the anxiousness for a little while but I suspect it comes back bigger than ben hur in the evening and of course alcohol contributes to poor sleep so its kind of a double down.

funny thing is I don't have any reason to be overly anxious.

I really need to find a better way to chill.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Meth. Now have been thinking bout that as an option. All the photos I have seen they all seem pretty trim

Joking

sbr511

Likes Dirt
I could do with a reduction in the alcohol I suspect.

Whist I don't drink Monday to Thursday I will have a couple ( 3 or 4 tops) on fri and sat nite but sunday is the the worst when anxiety about the coming week sets in. The grog alleviates the anxiousness for a little while but I suspect it comes back bigger than ben hur in the evening and of course alcohol contributes to poor sleep so its kind of a double down.

funny thing is I don't have any reason to be overly anxious.

I really need to find a better way to chill.
Devil's Lettuce. Just don't let the munchies take over haha

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Well tried a day of fasting.
5 Coffees over the day and a plum for lunch and lots of water.

Got home (relaxed Commute ride) and was down to 84.1. best prev lowest was 85.3.

I expect most of it was sugars (liquid) but hopefully not all of it. Will feedback after tomorrow.

Trying 2 days this week. Tues and Thur.

Training ride tomorrow (60km road) and Friday night have a 110km MTB ride.

Will be gutted if I don't loose something.