Whats the best beer you've had & why?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
"One free tap" - what are you talking about there? I have never heard that. Please let me know.
Many contracted pubs have at least one 'free' tap which available to the publican to hook up to whatever he/she wants to sell with the remainder of the taps given over to contracted stock.

A mate who owns a CUB contracted pub has one free tap. It is given over to Canadian Club and Dry and it makes decent money...the other two contracted taps are Carlton and XXXX Gold.

takai

Eats Squid
Many contracted pubs have at least one 'free' tap which available to the publican to hook up to whatever he/she wants to sell with the remainder of the taps given over to contracted stock.

A mate who owns a CUB contracted pub has one free tap. It is given over to Canadian Club and Dry and it makes decent money...the other two contracted taps are Carlton and XXXX Gold.
See this is the problem. Large pubs in Australia have maybe 4 or 5 taps. Tiny bars in the US have 10-12. The larger pub that we went to (the Union) had around 30 non-duplicated taps.

Heck the quite a large pub down the road here has 4 taps: Carlton Draft, Tooheys New, Squire Pale and some swill cider. :mmph:

scblack

Leucocholic
See this is the problem. Large pubs in Australia have maybe 4 or 5 taps. Tiny bars in the US have 10-12. The larger pub that we went to (the Union) had around 30 non-duplicated taps.

Heck the quite a large pub down the road here has 4 taps: Carlton Draft, Tooheys New, Squire Pale and some swill cider. :mmph:
The Yard House I went to in Cincinnati had 199 beers on their menu. 199! Most (if not all) on tap.

I tried as many as I could too......hic

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
"One free tap" - what are you talking about there? I have never heard that. Please let me know.
IF I recall correctly, the "one tree fap" is where a label such as Carlton or Tooheys branded a hotel in return for equipment and that brand became that pub's tap beer. However competition laws meant that there had to be at least one tap free to competitors rather than dominated by a single market player.

It is something like that I believe.

Beej1

The Royston in Richmond used to have one tap of Carlton Draught, and about a dozen taps of craft brews, rotating over months. Can't remember if they even have the swill tap anymore. Great little joint.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

takai

Eats Squid
I shoudl go down to the Local Taphouse in St Kilda East again to lift my spirits.

The next two weeks though will be a tour of Bent Spoke, Wig and Pen, Sweetwater Brewery, Bright Brewery, and Bridge Road Brewers!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Let me know when you're at Bent Spoke and Wig and Pen (which I'm still yet to try) if you'd like some local company.

I'm always looking for excuses to frequent the local beer houses.

takai

Eats Squid
Let me know when you're at Bent Spoke and Wig and Pen (which I'm still yet to try) if you'd like some local company.

I'm always looking for excuses to frequent the local beer houses.
Seriously, yet to try the Wig and Pen? When did you move to Canberra, it was my haunt in the afternoons when i was at ANU, armed with either Cimbala, Hardy or Kafka (bonus points if you know the disciplines ;) )

camo71

Likes Dirt
I love Bare Cove Radler , its my favourite after ride beer by a mile .
Now its discontinued to be ' replaced ' by XXXX lime ...
Not happy , At all .

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Had a few Ranger IPAs in the US recently - very nice

Initial taste is a slap in the face IPA citrus bitterness, but then it settles to an almost stout like cream/smoke after taste.
Not quite a session beer, but definitely worth a try.

ranger.jpg

- carpetrunner

takai

Eats Squid
Well i went along to the Bent Spoke last night for another forum's Christmas gathering. Good range of beers, although not so keen on their seasonal fresh 'hopped' ale. Their imperial IPA is great though, although a bit low on hops compared to the US ones. Sort of like a mellow Double Bastard or DogFish 90min. Its 8.8% which is on the low side, and the 68IBU gives good flavour but little punch.

Going to have to go back again though I think.

stirk

Burner
Sampling Endeavour Vintage Beer Co - Growers Bright Ale

Nice drop, quite generous with the hops, similar to Squires Hop Thief.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Not sure which is the best wheat beer yet, but at around a buck each here! it's a crime not to try them all. Currently roughly in order of preference.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ooh! If you see a Schneider Weiss tap 6, have a go at that - it's a great dopplebock - they've changed the label, but pretty much it's the original aventinus

Beer advocate scores it 96

link1896

Mr Greenfield
For us celiac sufferers, beer is deadly.

the locally produced gluten free offerings are bottled baby puke that was left in a car on a hot day.

My favourite is Ambar, out of Spain I believe. Some of the gluten free shops were importing and stocking themselves, a quick Google shows it has been picked up by a distributor and the price has come down somewhat. Yes, I paid $110 for a slab that had been air freighted in a few years ago from the Mornington gluten free shop.

My memory of traditional beers is very hazy as it's been so long, Ambar reminds me of Boags Premium the most.

http://www.broadwayliquor.com.au/catalogue/products.php?product=Ambar-Especial-Gluten-Free