what the fork?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi,

I have a fox 32 float evo ctd front and evo ctd rear and Bodin suggested in my PYR link that it might be worthwhile to get a custom tune. I have been looking just at servicing them which it is time for, however, I find it really hard to justify when it costs more than getting my car serviced and is meant to happen more often.

Here are what I see as my options:
1 - It seems about $200 just for a fork service.
2 - Cyclinic then have a FIT upgrade for $300 link which might be worthwhile but unsure if it would need a service on top of that ($500)
3 - But then I can find a brand new Reba for about $400 link. The difference for the Reba is it's 120mm over my 100mm which would relax my head angle a bit, which I think I would like, but it has a 44mm offset and not G2 offset. With the Reba is it possible/easy to service by myself?
4 - service the fox myself? Is it right that I just wouldnt be able to nitrogen charge it?
5 - run them both into the ground over a few years then upgrade
6 - other?

Just not sure what to do or even if it is worth servicing these shocks.
Advice?

Thanks
MAS

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If you have done work on the bike itself then search you tube videos on how to do it yourself . Its actually quite easy to do both you just need a little time and patience . A year is probably to long to go without servicing these but does depend on how often you ride . Considering these two parts do quite a lot they should be looked after .
If you go down the path of DIY its a reasonable outlay for parts and fluids but the fluid side of things will last you quite a few services so the costs are offset . You can even learn to tune them yourself .

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you have done work on the bike itself then search you tube videos on how to do it yourself . Its actually quite easy to do both you just need a little time and patience . A year is probably to long to go without servicing these but does depend on how often you ride . Considering these two parts do quite a lot they should be looked after .
If you go down the path of DIY its a reasonable outlay for parts and fluids but the fluid side of things will last you quite a few services so the costs are offset . You can even learn to tune them yourself .
Yep I have been watching a few youtube vids trying to get my head around it. It does seem simple enough. I didnt see any mention about nitrogen charging which is what cyclinic do though.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Mate
Go the service them yourself route.
If you have few basic tools, a clean work space and know how to search for the numerous vids online then its a piece of piss
I have servicing practically any fork down to about 30 minutes from on the bike stand to off the bike stand
This is a simple seal clean/replace plus and a wash out of the lowers and an oil change. A bit longer if you want to go with servicing the air spring.
Servicing damper units is far more problematic often requiring special tools but then again you rarely need to touch them

Servicing an air shock is even easier than servicing a fork.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate
This is a simple seal clean/replace plus and a wash out of the lowers and an oil change. A bit longer if you want to go with servicing the air spring. Servicing damper units is far more problematic often requiring special tools but then again you rarely need to touch them

Servicing an air shock is even easier than servicing a fork.
So are you saying there are 3 types of fork service - lowers, air spring, then damper?
Doesnt sound like something I should do with the kids around.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
First of all - there's no tuning you can do with the CTD Evolution forks. If you want improved performance - get a FIT cartridge installed. Depending on whether than $300 is just for the cartridge or includes fitting labour you will get some discount from combining a normal service with the new cartridge installation.

Fox forks are pretty easy to service with no major dramas - with the exception of the CTD evolution cartridge. They occasionally come apart during damper servicing (of late, about one time in 4)- meaning you have to reassemble and glue the damper back together - with the timing correct so that the ports and detents line up. This is majorly painful.

If you do the lowers every 6 months, then the damper and air spring and replace the seals every other 6 months, you'll be right.

Rockshox forks are easier to service and easier to get small parts for. You can get them in a 51mm (G2) offset as well.

- Joel

Merzy

Likes Bikes
Where are people buying their fox rebuild kits from? Everywhere I look they seem to super expensive.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Just the dust seal and foam ring kit you can get from anywhere probably. Tbsm , pushys , lbs. Budget about $60.

- Joel

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Joel, I think I will have a go at the lowers.
Still wondering if the FIT cartridge is worth it or if the Reba is a better replacement though?

si618

Likes Dirt
Still wondering if the FIT cartridge is worth it or if the Reba is a better replacement though?
I'd service the fork and shock first, then experiment with sag and rebound before splashing out for new bits.

I was like you and a bit apprehensive, but after watching youtube videos gave it a go (fork lowers, air spring and shock air can) and it's not that hard, although I'm not game to service or have all the hardware to do the fork damper or nitrogen recharge in the shock.

Interestingly, after I serviced the shock, I noticed this noise a few rides later. Seems like it's normal though, and haven't noticed a difference in performance.

fwiw, there's a few other brands of forks worth having a look at in the Reba price range, Xfusion and Manitou are supposed to be decent.